Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota introducing a new lightweight rear wheel drive sports coupe

• 06-10-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

At the Tokyo Show they will show a concept called FT-86. Rear wheel drive and a 2.0-liter Subaru boxer engine.

In the US it will cost little over $20k. wonder will it come to Europe and at what price?

I like the first look.

FT-86-Concept-2.jpg

Click here for a full gallery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I liked it till i saw this

FT-86-Concept-5.jpg

Are they zips beside the air vents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Coming to a roundabout near you...in 20 years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Onkle wrote: »

Are they zips beside the air vents?

Yes:

FT-86-Concept-7.jpg

Those Zips for the CD player remind me of those gimp suits

1018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

Did not notice the zips. I hope they dont make it to the production model.

Whats the point of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mullingar wrote: »

Those Zips for the CD player remind me of those gimp suits

1018.jpg

I hope you asked Anan1's permission to post his picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I really like it, it's like a Supra's lil brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is the road tax not 2000 a year on a new impreza wrx, same engine as this car? Good to see there making a stab at a new twin cam but unless they lighten it a lot and stick in a diesel engine theres little hope it will be sub 50k here... i'b be taking a pre 2008 mercedes sl500 over it, thank you very much mr gormley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Looks very nice on the outside but I don't think the zips are good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Its in GT5 by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

More concept car nonsense, and sports car nonsense at that. Lets see a sexy Micra or Corolla please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

More concept car nonsense, and sports car nonsense at that. Lets see a sexy Micra or Corolla please.

What are you on about? This is going into production next year. Go away with your horrible Micra and ditch-water Corolla. Such a comment to come out with on a motors forum. The car above is exactly what Toyota needs to shake up their kitchen appliance image, and by the looks of it it's a well priced car. If that pricing keeps, it'll be a much better buy than a Scirocco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ciaranoreilly

this is the new updated version of the ae86. this is not a supra replica etc! Just a new updated version of the ae 86 corolla twin cam. it will be rear wheel drive like the old one. being built with subaru for more performance from the engine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why are there four pedals in the drivers footwell?!

ha ya plank thats a footrest not a 4th pedal hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I think it looks really well... and if the price is anything like the american one... well there will be a queue for them...

the front reminds me of a cross between a Celica and a RX-8

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ha ya plank thats a footrest not a 4th pedal hahaha!
    Enjoy your jape, good sir. Enjoy it to the full.

Dades wrote: »
    Enjoy your jape, good sir. Enjoy it to the full.

my jape???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

i believe its the affordable version of the LF- A ,very nice.

Biro wrote: »
    What are you on about? This is going into production next year. Go away with your horrible Micra and ditch-water Corolla. Such a comment to come out with on a motors forum. The car above is exactly what Toyota needs to shake up their kitchen appliance image, and by the looks of it it's a well priced car. If that pricing keeps, it'll be a much better buy than a Scirocco.

Toyota doesn't need a halo car, it needs decent, design led consumer cars. Look at Nissan, GTR at one end and Tiida at the other. Car makers need to feck off with their irrelevant sports cars/concept cars and make sexy cars everyone can buy.

• Advertisement

Look at Nissan, GTR at one end and Tiida at the other. Car makers need to feck off with their irrelevant sports cars/concept cars and make sexy cars everyone can buy.

Who wants to buy a car everybody else has??

Back on topic, I like it and thank feck they are putting the drive through the correct wheels unlike most so called sporty cars at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Toyota doesn't need a halo car, it needs decent, design led consumer cars. Look at Nissan, GTR at one end and Tiida at the other. Car makers need to feck off with their irrelevant sports cars/concept cars and make sexy cars everyone can buy.

I think Toyota have done very well without your advice.

GigaByte wrote: »
    I think Toyota have done very well without your advice.

Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I don't follow the Nissan comment, like do you think Nissan are doing a good job or a bad one?!

They've always had the Skyline, well since the late 80's, why get rid of it?

OK, maybe my rant is not clear. I don't see why manufactures focus on turning out great, desirable cars at one end of the model range and sheer dross at the lower end were 99% of consumers are. It's like saying "Look what we can do, but we are not offering it to you." Concept/top end cars are great if the design feeds down, look at what Citroen are doing, but when it doesn't I don't see them point in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What a lovely car, its about time someone in japan brought out something nice, new civics, evo's and scoobys are horrible imo, this car on the other hand is smashing.

They will have to do something about the inside though. Romour has it a little japanese willy will come out of the zips and piss on ye I tell ye:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I thought the whole point of the old Corolla GT was that it was a simple, lightweight, cheap, rear-drive car... with a decent engine. No other faff. It was what it was.

This thing looks overwrought, overweight and probably overpriced.

Dartz wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of the old Corolla GT was that it was a simple, lightweight, cheap, rear-drive car... with a decent engine. No other faff. It was what it was.

This thing looks overwrought, overweight and probably overpriced.
    Welcome to 2009. Ya wouldn't pull to many birds in a jap scrap 25 y/o banger, thats a fact;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...sorry, but why would a Toyota have a Subaru engine ?

Looks very like this, to me, (which I saw in Goodwood in '07)

167150017_Nmwvs-M.jpg

But that had one big advantage - note motive power on the badge....

167150020_nzbZe-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1

toyota does need a new "twincam". And toyota need to start to pick up in performance cars section aswell. As we can see only ZZZzzz... in there.

A light RWD car is what you need. not a huge engined petrol monsters.

P.s. Not a fan of that zipper.... It looks scary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

galwaytt wrote: »
    But that had one big advantage - note motive power on the badge....

Can't quite make it out... does it say "gimmicky pointless headline-grabbing dead-end technology"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/27/toyota-buys-another-chunk-of-fhi-subaru/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Plug wrote: »
    Welcome to 2009. Ya wouldn't pull to many birds in a jap scrap 25 y/o banger, thats a fact;)

Your way off the mark there!! Women love twincams..at least sligo and donegal women:rolleyes: Ever owned a twincam?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eire-kp wrote: »
    Your way off the mark there!! Women love twincams..at least sligo and donegal women:rolleyes: Ever owned a twincam?!

Depends on the calibre of woman, I suppose. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

bazz26 wrote: »
    Depends on the calibre of woman, I suppose. :p

No. It depends on your calibre of twin cam! :D

• Advertisement

OK, maybe my rant is not clear. I don't see why manufactures focus on turning out great, desirable cars at one end of the model range and sheer dross at the lower end were 99% of consumers are. It's like saying "Look what we can do, but we are not offering it to you." Concept/top end cars are great if the design feeds down, look at what Citroen are doing, but when it doesn't I don't see them point in them.

Hang on, this isn't a GTR type car, it's a coupe that'll be available for the price of an Avensis. Not everyone wants an Avensis, and not everyone is old, married with kids.
    A nice coupe as an alternitave to a boring saloon makes for far happier ownership. And the thinking behind it is also some brand loyalty. Younger people admire one of your brands cars, maybe buy one some day, but the brand image is then embedded into their heads. When the needs arise, they'll move from that model to something more suitable elsewhere in the range.

Because it'd be better off with one is probably why. A nice low centre of gravity for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Below is a sample of the type of girl who may be attratced to a twincam :

chavs2.jpg

Seriously though, when I see a 'Twincam' it's usually being driven by a twat, and completely inappropriately. Last time I saw one, it was an 87, which the owner drove from the left hand lane, up the hard shoulder at 100mph+ and then swung from the hard shoulder out to the overtaking lane nearly hitting two cars on the way. Down here in Cork, the TC is generally never seen driving normally ... they're always flat our, or acting the maggot.

:rolleyes: My arse would I buy a banger, I can't see the logic. I remember being in the back of one before, bloody horrid, bumpy, noisy, cramped etc. Girls don't love them, boy racers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

it's a coupe that'll be available for the price of an Avensis.

Here? Not a hope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

just in defence of the ae86, there is an Irish owners club and its full of mature owners who are nothing like the stereotype thats associated with the car, its an extremely hard club to get into because of the stereotype and if anyone in the club conforms to that stereotype there kicked out, so not all ae86 owners are like that.

unfortunately like other cars it has become so cheap that it has fallen victim to the chav brigade and with it being rwd and easy to "donut" its always going to fall victim of an image like that.

on topic I think this ft-86 looks great, interior looks mental but I doubt the interior would make the final production. As people have said the 2k a year tax that has already killed off the Rx8 and Impreza from Irish dealers will mean it probably wont even make it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If this is using a 2.0 NA engine well then it will most probably be in the EUR1050 tax bracket (at most, maybe less) unlike the current Impreza WRX which is a 2.5. If they did a turbocharged model be it 2.0 or 2.5 it may then slip into the higher bracket.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/243800/

TomMc wrote: »
    If this is using a 2.0 NA engine well then it will most probably be in the EUR1050 tax bracket (at most, maybe less) unlike the current Impreza WRX which is a 2.5. If they did a turbocharged model be it 2.0 or 2.5 it may then slip into the higher bracket.

Disappointingly the power looks a bit on the low side to me. 140 bhp or maybe 160 I would have hoped they would be up around 250bhp. They would want to be getting around the 200bhp mark at the very least to interest a lot of people. A turbo version would be good especially with after market tuning in mind or if they didnt want a turbo they would have been better to shove in their own the VVTL-i 190 engine, that would give a fun drive when coupled with the RWD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

draffodx wrote: »
    just in defence of the ae86, there is an Irish owners club and its full of mature owners who are nothing like the stereotype thats associated with the car, its an extremely hard club to get into because of the stereotype and if anyone in the club conforms to that stereotype there kicked out, so not all ae86 owners are like that.

unfortunately like other cars it has become so cheap that it has fallen victim to the chav brigade and with it being rwd and easy to "donut" its always going to fall victim of an image like that.

on topic I think this ft-86 looks great, interior looks mental but I doubt the interior would make the final production. As people have said the 2k a year tax that has already killed off the Rx8 and Impreza from Irish dealers will mean it probably wont even make it here.

+1 You just need a few twats to make car look bad. Car was great even before boy racers found it. It is extreamly popular car in motorsport....

and yeah we wount see any of them in here, only as private import. Tax wil kill it... Cheers for goverment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I like this car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Plug wrote: »

your right there ugly but still fun to be in...

Seriously though, when I see a 'Twincam' it's usually being driven by a twat, and completely inappropriately. Last time I saw one, it was an 87, which the owner drove from the left hand lane, up the hard shoulder at 100mph+ and then swung from the hard shoulder out to the overtaking lane nearly hitting two cars on the way. Down here in Cork, the TC is generally never seen driving normally ... they're always flat our, or acting the maggot.

well ya see thats the thing thats why people buy them would you honestly buy a car that ugly ? there light rear wheel drive with an lsd... what more could you want :confused:...

Im not going to state my opinion of them as ive had some fun times in them not the safest car in the world...

tho same could be said about the E30 325 :D much prefer them my self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zube wrote: »
    Can't quite make it out... does it say "gimmicky pointless headline-grabbing dead-end technology"?

...possibly, but at least it also says' **** OFF GORMLEY - YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS'

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

TomMc wrote: »

You're assuming they won't do anything with that engine though. This likely won't see a showroom for 2 years, by which time things will have moved on even further. Toyota will work with Subaru on that engine to make it as efficient as they can make it. Slashing 50 g/km off the CO2 figure should be very easy. A good start alone would be loosing the 4WD drivetrain and making a car with a much lower drag coefficient and lower weight. That's all going to help before they work on the engine.

Advertisement