Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to put down floors?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I just bought a new house and there is no floors down anywhere.

I'm going to put down laminate floors in the bedrooms, hall and living room and tiles in the bathroom and kitchen.

The whole house is newly built and there's no fitted furniture in place yet.

My question is

is it better to tile kitchen floor before kitchen is fitted?
    is it better to floor living room before fireplace is fitted?
    same for bedrooms before fitted built-in wardrobes?

Any info appreciated,
    Diarmuid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pull_a_tition

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    I just bought a new house and there is no floors down anywhere.

is it better to tile kitchen floor before kitchen is fitted?

Iwould recommend tiling the kitchen such that the washing machine, Dishwasher and fridge are all tiled underneath, this will greatly help when you have to pull out these units to service them.

You could also tile to just inside the fitted kitchen (i.e. to within 500mm of the wall if your units are going to be 600mm deep.) This will give a better finish under the kick board.

is it better to floor living room before fireplace is fitted?

No. The installation of the fireplace, esp. the hearth is a heavy job and usually involves some use on concrete. Get this 'dirty' job done first. Also you may want to paint the ceilings and walls before the floor goes in. If it is not too late get the floor down before the skirting boards go on. (Better finish as the expansion gap can be covered by the skirting)

same for bedrooms before fitted built-in wardrobes?

This is a bit or either or. In the lifetime of the house fitted furniture will usually be remo0ved at some stage, with this in mind I'd recommend flooring it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Cheers, i was thinking pretty much along those lines anyway.

just wasn't sure about the fireplace.

Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If it's a new house and the skirting boards haven't been put on yet ask the builder to leave them off until after you have the flooring done.
    Unfortunately all my skirting was on and I ruined parts of my walls taking it off.

Advertisement