Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in North Dublin with no phone or fixed land line

• 06-10-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what my options are and would anyone have any feedback on the best and most cost effective package to choose on getting braodband with no fixed phone or land line in the house. Is wireless my only choice i.e Eircoms wireless pacakage

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

north city or county..... as in second or third world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    north city or county..... as in second or third world

North county i.e Rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

billyhead wrote: »
    Is wireless my only choice i.e Eircoms wireless pacakage

It's probably not a choice at all. eircom will only give your their FWA service in very rare circumstances, and even then it's very expensive and pretty poor. Most sales people you get through to won't even know it exists.

http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx
    You have a number of options in Rush, including DSL, which will rule out any chance of eircom FWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Billyhead,

I have Chorus in North Swords which is very good, might be an option for you.

give them a call,

Maybe Digiweb Mobile , the fixed wireless and cable services are not in Rush although you could ring UPC and ask about the cable .

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/mobile/index.html

• Advertisement

What about his package lads. It seems to be quite cheap at €20 a month. I already have a wireless modem in my laptop but it seems the cheapest for someone without a land line.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1899078650.1254827714@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadeihjffhiicefeceiedfgodfik.0&cid=MobileStandalone&site=Res

That's Meteor mobile midband, not broadband in any way shape or form. Although they have a 3G network around Dublin, I wouldn't trust that coverage map. They tend to show the best case coverage, and not the practical or realistic coverage.

as eircom have no customers yet it would be worth a punt but once they get customers it will slow down dramatically .

get the prepaid one and watch your usage very carefully .

So would you think DSL is the best option. Would the coonection not be dog slow for this

Dog slow for what? DSL is far more reliable than mobile 3G.

3G might work for you, but it's very variable, and with sparse cover, you won't know if it'll even work at your house, unless you can try before you buy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement