Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40D to 5D - worth it?

• 06-10-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I have a 400D, husband has a 40D. I've been frustrated with the noise at higher ISO levels on mine for a while now, so was going to upgrade to a 40D. However, we're thinking now that maybe he should get a 5D (original, not mkII) for Stephen, and I inherit his 40D.

Misc equipment - Stephen has the following:
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II (the lens he uses most)
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkII
    Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX APO HSM (Mk1)
    Speedlite 420EX

I have:
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    Speedlite 580EX II

We'd swap the 17-50mm and the 28-135mm lenses so that we both have working walkaround lenses. He uses my 30mm a fair bit, he's aware that it would have a bit of vignetting, but will work around that.

My question is this - is it worse the extra blings? Would he be as well sticking with 40d? He's mostly in to landscapes and portrait photography. Has anyone switched between the two?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Go for the full frame 5D, sure it is a super camera.
    Says he who is a Nikon D700 user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

You are really talking about getting rid of the 400? For landscapes and portraits the 5D is streets ahead of the 40D. I have both (well had, I've sold the 5D for a Mk II). Image quality from the 5D is superb.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The 5D is something of an ubercamera.

Full frame doesn't just give you lower noise levels but narrow DoF as well as proper focal lengths. It is an exceptional camera for weddings and portraits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Sounds like a no brainer :) Valentia, yes.. The 400d was and is an excellent piece of kit, but I played with the 40d and its so much better for low light, not to mention faster to change the settings on.. I got spoiled :) He was just worried that the trade off (no dust reduction shaky thing, smaller lcd, slower fps) would mean the upgrade not worthwhile, but the more I read, the better it sounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

The 5D is far better for landscapes and portraits. As it is, I have one for sale on adverts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

kensutz wrote: »
    The 5D is far better for landscapes and portraits. As it is, I have one for sale on adverts :D

Might just have to check that out.. hope there's a photography section discount? :pac:

Advertisement