Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free shipping from Amazon on orders from £25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

scorn wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, as soon as any state outside of Ireland sell more than €35,000 worth of goodss/services into the republic, they are then obliged to register for Irish VAT at 21.5%

I'd say Amazon ships at least that to Ireland, based on the posts in this thread...

Jaytee worked in the sorting office for the christmas period last year and he said the amount of Amazon parcels was unreal, with this free shipping over £25 and more people shopping online, its set to increase even more. I'll certainly be scouring Amazon for my christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

snubbleste wrote: »
    If a company based in the EU ships in excess of a certain volume of goods to another EU country, it must charge the destination country VAT.

Are you sure ?? Do you have a link to the legislation !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

thanks for this note - had an order pending and have been able to change it and got the free posting !! only a few pounds but evey little helps

has anyone noticed that the delivery times are getting longer even when things are in stock ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Macer123 wrote: »

Recast 6th Directive, Council Directive 2006/112/EC, Title V, Chapter I, Section 2, Article 34.
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/distance_selling/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Snubb is correct they have registered and pay Irish VAT at 21.5 % , all of it not just the difference between the two rates

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Tony wrote: »
    Snubb is correct they have registered and pay Irish VAT at 21 % , all of it not just the difference between the two rates

You are correct Tony except the current top VAT rate is 21.5%.

Thats what I wrote ( after editing my post) :) Freudian slip I guess, wish vat was a lot lower.

Thanks for pointing that out.

ElNino wrote: »
    You are correct Tony except the current top VAT rate is 21.5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry but this isn't a genuine bargain IMO.
    In the UK I only have to spend £5 to get free supersaver delivery! Yet they want FIVE TIMES the amount before they'll deliver for free to Ireland?

I'll stick with play.com!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's my understanding that Amazon ship from Dublin and therefore charge the 21.5% VAT rate as does every other company based in Ireland. In this case the irish governement gets the full 21.5% VAT and not the difference between it and the UK Rate. VAT is an "ad valorem" tax, it is based on the value of the goods and the supplier only acts as a collection agent for the Revenue i.e. they add the % on to the goods and pay over this same amount to the Revenue.

Some of the other companies mentioned in previous post are not based in the UK e.g. HMV, they ship from the channel Island which is outside the EU and hence don't collect or subsequently pay over any VAT. Deliveries from these companies is the same as if you order from the US and therefore customs can collect the VAT & Duty at point of entry.

Some posters have expressed there dissatisfaction at Amazon because they don't get to see the actual price which needs to be paid until just before confirming the order. In reality this is better/similar that purchasing from sites outside the EU which may be cheaper initally, but if customs collect the duty & VAT a buyer may end up paying much more than they first realised.

Sorry for the rant !! ;)

Last page has been very informative.

I went through the same investigative process with Komplett a year ago so should have known.

I didn't know HMV were liable for customs though, will have to think twice before ordering from them.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    In the UK I only have to spend £5 to get free supersaver delivery! Yet they want FIVE TIMES the amount before they'll deliver for free to Ireland?

I will as well on the few occasions their exchange rate isn't too off putting.

You will find for a start that they won't ship alot of things here but even when they do the extra they add on (not really free delivery tbh) in the euro conversion may make people think twice.

They also take longer than Amazon on average too.

Their books are a real bargain until they add on the delivery charge but on the other hand their deliveries are very quick!

Is the HUT free delivery to here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

noodler wrote: »
    Is the HUT free delivery to here?
    No but sendit and tescoentertainment are, all owned by the hut group

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Amazon will ship electricals, which you can order in Sterling.
    There will be plenty of bargains to be had there.
    eg:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32B450C4-Widescreen-Ready-Freeview/dp/B001UE8LV0/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_560864_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=194134391&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560858&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1CF56YTCCS0Q4NBH7WYT

ShaneU wrote: »
    No but sendit and asdaentertainment are, all owned by the hut group

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

jayteecork wrote: »
    FYP.

what? never heard of this site?

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Play.com and their exchange rate can blow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

They will not ship the above item to Ireland.

Spudzz wrote: »

My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Spudzz wrote: »

Might be just as well, don't think the digital turner would work in RoI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Ouch, on the other hand though, to ship me the entire Blu-Ray series of Battlestar Galactica in a big tin (20 discs) they still only charge 2.50.

Yep got prison break season 1-4 £62.50 incl delivery & with exchange rate at the moment happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Thank you robinvn for a newbie you sure came up with a great bargin. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

who charge you a paddy tax no matter how much you spend with them due to their exchange rates!

An Post are more expensive than Royal mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Superb news..

That Nespresso machine for €115 is looking tempting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

How about they also start accpeting Laser since they dispatch from and have offices in Dublin?

Looks like someone needs to change to Ulster Bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

who charge you a paddy tax no matter how much you spend with them due to their exchange rates!

An Post are more expensive than Royal mail

Er what? Amazon have a fulfillment centre in Ireland now?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

bk wrote: »
    A nice first step, but Amazon still have a lot to do to properly service Ireland.

Amazon.co.uk has a number of very serious usability issues for Irish users:

1) The price shown isn't the price you pay as they change vat from 17.5% to 21.5% at the very last step of the checkout process.

2) No idea if third party companies actually ship to Ireland until you get well into the checkout procedure.

3) No indication of how much shipping to Ireland will be for third party companies, anywhere.

Amazon really need to launch an amazon.ie site, where prices in euro (with a fair exchange rate), Irish VAT added on, only third party retailers who ship to Ireland shown on it and their shipping prices up front.

And also accept Laser payments. If they're VAT registered here then they can get signed up for Laser lazy selfish gits.
    Tried to order xbox 360 elite, postage and packing £6, VAT £36.50

There simply isn't a way of getting bargains from amazon.co.uk until they stop charging the 21% Irish VAT rate, there's too many alternatives, mainly the Hut group, where I can purchase things cheaper.

Huy group ships from outside the EU leaving you open to Irish VAT @ anything over €22 and duty on (I can't remember what the threshold is)
    I believe HMV are a better bet. They do charge a small delivery but no Irish VAT.

Not sure why they can do it but Amazon can't?

I am guessing it means you will never be hit with customs on an Amazon order but since HMV is in the UK (and hence the EU) you shouldn't be hit with it there either tbh.

Again, HMV are outside the EU so they don't have to charge Irish vat. There's a sweet heart deal there with tehse Channel Island companies where UK customs or revenue or whatever won't go hounding people for tax. I think the DVD companies make a pay off or something.
    It's not as if they send over the extra 10% VAT to our government, the company is based in the U.K. so it should charge U.K. tax rates. Until they drop it I can buy 99% of dvds, cds etc. cheaper elsewhere.

If a company in the EU is doing a certain level of business in another EU country they've to be VAT registered in said country and charge said country's vat.
    It's my understanding that Amazon ship from Dublin and therefore charge the 21.5% VAT rate as does every other company based in Ireland. In this case the irish governement gets the full 21.5% VAT and not the difference between it and the UK Rate. VAT is an "ad valorem" tax, it is based on the value of the goods and the supplier only acts as a collection agent for the Revenue i.e. they add the % on to the goods and pay over this same amount to the Revenue.

Some of the other companies mentioned in previous post are not based in the UK e.g. HMV, they ship from the channel Island which is outside the EU and hence don't collect or subsequently pay over any VAT. Deliveries from these companies is the same as if you order from the US and therefore customs can collect the VAT & Duty at point of entry.

Some posters have expressed there dissatisfaction at Amazon because they don't get to see the actual price which needs to be paid until just before confirming the order. In reality this is better/similar that purchasing from sites outside the EU which may be cheaper initally, but if customs collect the duty & VAT a buyer may end up paying much more than they first realised.

Sorry for the rant !! ;)

It is my understanding they ship from Fife.

Amazon DVDs are handled by some Indigo Starfish thing. It's basically their front so they can compete with the play.coms and all with the cushy tax haven there in the Channel Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Pretty much everything I have ordered has been shipped by An-post, suggesting to me that they mail it from a centre in Ireland, unless Fife is part of Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Alan Rouge wrote: »

Amazon DVDs are handled by some Indigo Starfish thing. It's basically their front so they can compete with the play.coms and all with the cushy tax haven there in the Channel Islands.

I have the box here from one of my last deliveries. Postage is An Post and the "If undelivered please return to" address is Amazon, PO Box 10361, Dublin 17.

And also accept Laser payments. If they're VAT registered here then they can get signed up for Laser lazy selfish gits.

Huy group ships from outside the EU leaving you open to Irish VAT @ anything over €22 and duty on (I can't remember what the threshold is)

Again, HMV are outside the EU so they don't have to charge Irish vat. There's a sweet heart deal there with tehse Channel Island companies where UK customs or revenue or whatever won't go hounding people for tax. I think the DVD companies make a pay off or something.

If a company in the EU is doing a certain level of business in another EU country they've to be VAT registered in said country and charge said country's vat.

Thats alot of repetition to already answered questions! Thanks tho!

• Advertisement

Lazy or selfish may be a bit wide of the mark as Laser cards in Ireland do not yet use pin code security so amazon may feel that they would be much more at risk from fraud than they would with a card with 3d secure fraud prevention. AFAIK pay pal do not take Irish laser cards either, I suspect for the same reason. Perhaps it might be more apt to label the banks as lazy since their help with things like address matching and security is way behind our neighbours.

Sorry for the OT post

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Bah, just been talking to India as it won't let me order the mp3 player I want for delivery to Ireland (and yes, it's sold by Amazon). I was pointed to the bit buried in the terms and conditions where it says the mp3 players can only be delivered to UK addresses - but, and here's the kicker, it will happily let me order *other* mp3 players. Makes no sense to me :(

This is the item is anyone else wants to try:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-iAudio-16GB-MP3-Player/dp/B001NQXCUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254936051&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

What going on with amazon, i know there offering free shipping on goods over 25 pounds (which is great) but if you buy something under 25 pounds they charge 6.05 pounds for shipping and it used to be 1.79 pounds....Anyone any idea whats going on???

this free delivery sucks.

I ordered 2 items, both in stock, both can be available "in 2 days" if you order express delivery but since I went for free delivery it's getting dispatched on oct 20th(which was only bumped from Nov 20th earlier)

NoelDoran wrote: »
    What going on with amazon, i know there offering free shipping on goods over 25 pounds (which is great) but if you buy something under 25 pounds they charge 6.05 pounds for shipping and it used to be 1.79 pounds....Anyone any idea whats going on???

Books and video games cost a lot for P&P than DVDs and Blurays.

no its dvds i tried to buy......try it, add one dvd for say a tenner and see what i costs????let me know what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

changed a pre-order of mine (not windows 7) to free delivery today :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi guys, i want to buy a Sony laptop from Amazon. It's £734 so how much in total do I have to pay and how long is the delivery?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

what are the odds! ordered something over on Monday and paid for standard delivery, dispatched on Tuesday. Anyway, thanks OP!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Cameraman wrote: »
    I think part of the problem with (1) and (2) is that they don't know the shipping location until the checkout stage. I often use it to send gifts to other locations (including the UK) and this affects the VAT rate and whether or not they'll deliver. Also, books have no VAT, so I just mentally factor in a few extra % for the VAT for other goods sent to me here - I find it only a very minor inconvenience, as you still see the exact price before you confirm an order.

Regarding (3) - when you choose an alternative vendor - there is usually a link to delivery charges which lets you know the charge.

+1

They are no different than any other non-Irish site which ships a lot to Ireland - can't show the VAT until payment time.

I've not had any probs finding out whether marketplace sellers ship internationally - it's usually pretty clear (and is often mentioned at first view).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tony wrote: »
    Lazy or selfish may be a bit wide of the mark as Laser cards in Ireland do not yet use pin code security so amazon may feel that they would be much more at risk from fraud than they would with a card with 3d secure fraud prevention. AFAIK pay pal do not take Irish laser cards either, I suspect for the same reason. Perhaps it might be more apt to label the banks as lazy since their help with things like address matching and security is way behind our neighbours.

Sorry for the OT post

my laser card has had pin code security for years. :confused:

Not all Irish banks do unfortunately, nor do they support address verification.

copacetic wrote: »
    my laser card has had pin code security for years. :confused:

What the hell has PIN code got to do with it?

You don't enter your pin when ordering online with a credit card AFAIK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

3 digit security code on the back perhaps?
    The PIN is for chip n' pin at a POS or from an ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You would never have got anything delivered here for £1.79 - The lowest charge for the last 2 years or so has been for just 1 cd or dvd - £1.88.
    What is it you are ordering?
    Full List of Delivery charges here.

• Advertisement

What the hell has PIN code got to do with it?

Apologies, to clarify I mean the security code. The important thing is that merchants have much less protection against fraud on an Irish laser card then they would do on a credit card and this may be the reason that they are not accepted.

Again apologies for OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Canonfan wrote: »
    Hi guys, i want to buy a Sony laptop from Amazon. It's £734 so how much in total do I have to pay and how long is the delivery?

Thanks.

€860 give or take a quid or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

nephster wrote: »
    Bah, just been talking to India as it won't let me order the mp3 player I want for delivery to Ireland (and yes, it's sold by Amazon). I was pointed to the bit buried in the terms and conditions where it says the mp3 players can only be delivered to UK addresses - but, and here's the kicker, it will happily let me order *other* mp3 players. Makes no sense to me :(

This is the item is anyone else wants to try:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-iAudio-16GB-MP3-Player/dp/B001NQXCUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254936051&sr=8-1

Very odd, nice player and all, looks like their keeping all the good ones for their UK customers.:)

Ogham wrote: »
    You would never have got anything delivered here for £1.79 - The lowest charge for the last 2 years or so has been for just 1 cd or dvd - £1.88.
    What is it you are ordering?
    Full List of Delivery charges here.

Sorry bout that meant to type £1.88.......just tried there now to preorder the dvd 12 rounds, its £9.99, when i got to my summery page i was being charged £16.59 inc vat (dvd £10.54 and postage £6.05)..........

When i clicked on see details of vat, it states the dvd is £8.68 (this is ok) and postage is £4.98 (but i tought it was £1.88 + VAT???) So what is going on, have amazon upped their price on postage, cant find anything on the website to say this????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Sorry bout that meant to type £1.88.......just tried there now to preorder the dvd 12 rounds, its £9.99, when i got to my summery page i was being charged £16.59 inc vat (dvd £10.54 and postage £6.05)..........

When i clicked on see details of vat, it states the dvd is £8.68 (this is ok) and postage is £4.98 (but i tought it was £1.88 + VAT???) So what is going on, have amazon upped their price on postage, cant find anything on the website to say this????

I tried a few single DVd orders - and all came up as 4.98 + VAt = 6.05 delivery !!
    It should be 1.88 plus vat = 2.28. They seem to be charging as if it is a video game or a book.
    I have emailed Amazon about it - I'll post the reply here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement