Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub grub in Carlow

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone know of any nice pubs for a decent evening meal at the weekends? Somewhere that does the good old basics like lasagne, burgers, curry etc...?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Teach Dolmen are very good. Tasty food and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Dinn Ri get's my vote anyday. Brooks cafe bar is also good but is more like a decent priced restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Teach Dolmen is the nicest I've had so far, but I also like the lounge in the 7 oaks hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

+1 for Teach Dolmen and Brooks. The food in Reddys is excellent aswell and in Carpenters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭JoeyW

Thanks guys,
    I heard the food was lovely in Brooks too but always assumed they only opened during the day, so they do evenings too? Must give it a try.
    I'll give them all a try..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

2nd Teach Dolmen or Dinn Ri - Also Dinn Ri are now doing Barbeque food outside, their burgers are yummy, €6.50 for a burger is bit step for a burger, but it was fair nice all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

yeah the burgers in Cedar Sq are lovely, but think they only do them thurs/fri evenings and then on sat and sun....not 100% on that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

don't forget the food in the bar in the seven oaks, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Reddys serves up some really nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

don't forget the food in the bar in the seven oaks, excellent.

+1 Its very hard to beat Seven Oaks. Top notch grub every day, and with a free Tea/coffee which they keep refilling as a nice bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭markpauldunne

Stopped in Teach Dolman with Family for Lunch. We were made very welcome and the food is spot on.

that's always nice to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

For Lunch on a Saturday or Sunday, go to Rathwood in Tullow, you will get great value for money, the food is delicious.
    Dont forget to bring home a slice of Bannofee or Chocolate Mud cake mmmm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Rathwood mad busy with the Santa train, so best avoided until after Christmas. Don't forget to check out the chocolate shop next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mods, I hope you don’t mind me revisiting this thread – I’m looking for a good place to eat in Carlow this Friday evening.

I think I’ve had lunch in Teach Dolmain – is that the one with the small restaurant area upstairs with a second bar? That wasn’t bad.

I cannot believe I’m seeing Dinn Rí getting recommendations – without question, the worst, most overpriced pub/bar I’ve ever had the misfortune of eating in. Twice. Yep, I even gave it a second chance.

I haven’t eaten in Brooks, but it seems a bit pricey (for what it is).

Any other suggestions? Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

reddys is really nice,also teach dolmen, i also fancy McHughes courthouse on dublin st

djpbarry wrote: »
    Mods, I hope you don’t mind me revisiting this thread – I’m looking for a good place to eat in Carlow this Friday evening.

I think I’ve had lunch in Teach Dolmain – is that the one with the small restaurant area upstairs with a second bar? That wasn’t bad.

I cannot believe I’m seeing Dinn Rí getting recommendations – without question, the worst, most overpriced pub/bar I’ve ever had the misfortune of eating in. Twice. Yep, I even gave it a second chance.

I haven’t eaten in Brooks, but it seems a bit pricey (for what it is).

Any other suggestions? Ta.

Are you looking for a pub or restaurant?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Are you looking for a pub or restaurant?
    I'm bringing a couple of fairly unadventurous relatives out for a meal, so I think a pub would probably be more appropriate - it'll probably be Teach Dolmain, unless there's a hidden gem somewhere that I'm unaware of?!?

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm bringing a couple of fairly unadventurous relatives out for a meal, so I think a pub would probably be more appropriate - it'll probably be Teach Dolmain, unless there's a hidden gem somewhere that I'm unaware of?!?

Does it have to be Carlow town? Is Baltinglass too far?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Does it have to be Carlow town? Is Baltinglass too far?
    Yeah, it would have to be Carlow Town.

• Advertisement

Well, I''d say your options are either Teach or Seven Oaks.
    You're not a Dinn Ri fan so either of those two would be my own personal choice.

Advertisement