Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to spend on a baby's present?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hello!
    What's the going rate to spend on a baby's present when a friend has a baby?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

When I had my baby. A lot of people gave me vouchers. Friends gave me in or around 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

you could easily pick up bits and pieces in dunnes/pennys/heatons such as babygrows, vests, baby blanket ect and wouldnt cost that much and person doesnt need to know how much you spent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i got plenty of €50 euro vouchers as well....but spend what you like and what you are comfortable with. To be honest, i didnt think of cost of gifts for my boy, i was just delighted with the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It depends on the friend. I generally buy a nice outfit in NEXT or something that would be maybe 20 something euro. If I was giving vouchers I don't think I'd go over 30.

I'm starting to feel like a real scrooge in these threads:o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depends on how close you are IMO. 50 for close friends. 20 for not so close friends. 10 euro little outfit from dunnes for people you kinda half know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I actually had no idea it's a thing that happens. Baby presents? Cool :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

ebmma wrote: »
    I actually had no idea it's a thing that happens. Baby presents? Cool :-)

We just went for 20 euro.
    After reading this thread, I realise I should have gone for 30. Thanks. 50 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I agree with Khannie - it really depends on how close you are.

Normally what I would do is start picking up things for them throughout the pregnancy. Buy wipes, nappies, vest, babygros whenever I went shopping. Then when the baby arrives I present them with this basket of products that they are going to use over the coming months.

Love2love wrote: »
    I agree with Khannie - it really depends on how close you are.

Normally what I would do is start picking up things for them throughout the pregnancy. Buy wipes, nappies, vest, babygros whenever I went shopping. Then when the baby arrives I present them with this basket of products that they are going to use over the coming months.

Wow this is tough. I am against the concept of presents in general which is very difficult to explain to people because they just think you are a scab.

Thanks for the feedback all, definetly food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Wow this is tough. I am against the concept of presents in general which is very difficult to explain to people because they just think you are a scab.

Thanks for the feedback all, definetly food for thought.

You don't have to buy stuff if you don't want to. If you are more of a handyman or artistic type you can make a present.

Or give them a "free babysitting" coupon.

• Advertisement

ebmma wrote: »
    You don't have to buy stuff if you don't want to. If you are more of a handyman or artistic type you can make a present.

Or give them a "free babysitting" coupon.

I brought my camera out to take some family snaps but only got one good photo. I'll print it and post it to them.

That might show I put some thought into it. Like many people, we really have f all money now. Le recession is biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

A nice photo is a great present. Some of the best and most memorable presents I have received for babies, christenings or my wedding were pictures or albums with the pics in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm due my second in a few weeks and rather than get an actual gift I've asked for people to give me their time

Money is tight with everyone and I have pretty much everything I need anyway so rather than ask them to waste money on stuff that I dont really want I've asked them for "freebies".

Someone else mentioned things like baby sitting coupons which are great. I've also asked for people to do things like my shopping, walking my dogs, cleaning my house ( last thing you want to do with a newborn is housework!!! ) and so on

It means they aren't putting their hands in their pockets, they are still giving something and it takes some of the pressure off the new parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Most friends that came to visit me just brought some cookies, or maybe a home made dish so I didn't have to cook- those were much appreciated! Some brought a baby outfit or a little toy, so 10-20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Once mum and baby are home then a nice home-cooked dish would be very welcome.

I've got 20+ nieces and nephews plus as a childminder have lots of contact with babies and their families and most people just buy an outfit and only godparents would spend around the €50 mark.

Advertisement