Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i put her through it

Options
  • 06-10-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

We have a 12 year old dobbie cross who is diabetic, blind in one eye from cataracts and going a bit deaf latley.Her back legs are wobbely and she's a bit incontenant (she sounds knackered)but she still pulls me on the lead and has a wagging tail and happy disposition.
    Last week i noticed her licking her back leg and when i looked i saw an open wound on her ankle about the size of a milk bottletop,very nasty. I brought her to her vet and he said the only way he could fix it would be a skin graft but because of where it is she would just tear it by walking.She got antibiotics and antinflamitories and I went back again last night. It hasn't improved its actually thickened.He now thinks its a tumour and if so nothing can be done as she is too old.
    Problem i have is he wants her back for a biopsy to see if it really is cancer but do i send her for tests that are going to be stressfull and painfull just to be told yes its cancer but we cant do anything or no its not cancer but we still can't do anything.He agreed that her time maybe near but untill she is down in her self that she will be fine at home.Right now shes in great form,,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there, sorry to hear about your doggie.

If it was me then i dont think i would put her through it, is the only reason so he can find out if it def is cancer?

You say there is nothing they can do either way, so why put her through it just so the vet can get his answer, so i wouldnt do it.

I would just do everything i can to keep her comfy and pain free for the moment. Its not a nice decision to make when it comes to things like this and esp when they are old and getting on.

Hope your doggie feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

You have a very tough decision to make and unfortunately we cant make it for you, i'm really sorry for your dog.
    My advise is to talk more to the vet , maybe get a second opinion, talk to family members , listen to your gut instinct.
    Good luck in whatever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

If it were me I'd ask the vet if there would be any difference to her treatment plan based on the results and make the decision from there. Best of luck to you whatever the decision.

Re the open wound - get some medical grade manuka honey and smear it on a few times a day. You can wrap it loosely if you want to stop the dog licking at it but it does no harm if ingested (doesn't taste nice judging from the look on my dogs face though). My local vet nurse suggested it last year for a cut that wouldn't completely heal on my dogs toe despite 6 vet visits, stitches, several courses of antibiotics, wrapping etc and it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

yeah i'm going to ring him today and just see is there any real point in testing for something they cant treat,,been up all night trying to decide what to do,,,,,thanks for the replies,,

hadook wrote: »
    If it were me I'd ask the vet if there would be any difference to her treatment plan based on the results and make the decision from there. Best of luck to you whatever the decision.

Re the open wound - get some medical grade manuka honey and smear it on a few times a day. You can wrap it loosely if you want to stop the dog licking at it but it does no harm if ingested (doesn't taste nice judging from the look on my dogs face though). My local vet nurse suggested it last year for a cut that wouldn't completely heal on my dogs toe despite 6 vet visits, stitches, several courses of antibiotics, wrapping etc and it did the trick.

can you tell me where you got the honey,,cant hurt to try

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i just had a tumor removed from my 13 yr old gsd!!!
    like you i wasnt sure whether to put her through an op as she has another few things going on...but decided along with vet to have it removed as it wasnt in a difficult place and her heart and bloods were good. however, im not sending the tumor off to see if its cancerous, i just want her to be comfortable.
    its such a tough choice to make and i really feel for you!!
    she sounds a happy girl so i think id take one day at a time regarding the sore.....i also second the manuka honey its amazing stuff.
    you can get it in a health shop or some chemists stock it as well.

i know when the time comes to let my girl go...i`ll do it.
    best of luck to you and your girl :)

thanks for the replys everyone..

I spoke to her vet again today and we've decided not to go through with the biopsy tomorrow,,he said he's almost certain its cancer and he really wouldn't be able to do much with it concidering where it is and her age,, the treatment is just the same for her if it's not cancer,,keep it clean and keep her happy,,so i'm off tomorrow to get the honey and try and get a wrap or bandage that she will leave on (going to have to be imaginative with that),
    Fingers crossed she be ok for another while as my 3 kids(as well as us) will be devastated,,we got her before all of them and they adore her.
    Will go back to the vet in a few weeks to check up on her but for now shes happy and doesnt seem to be ill in any way..

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

you should be able to get manuka honey at any good chemist or health store be sure to get medical grade honey which should be +18 strength. I used it for a recurring sore that I had for 14 years, and doctors couldn't cure, and the sore cleared up. That was three years ago!!

wow thats amazing i'm heading out now to get it,,, Id try anything now to just make her as comfortable as possible,,,although saying that shes standing here now wagging her tail cos she knows i'm going out and is hoping i'm taking her with me ,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

do you have pet insurance? I know a friend of mine german shepherd got cancer and he spent a small fortune on radio therapy (?) in dublin i think, the dog went into remission twice if memory serves, but finally she succumb, but like i say he spent thousands, if you had pet insurance though?

• Advertisement

Paul91 wrote: »
    do you have pet insurance? I know a friend of mine german shepherd got cancer and he spent a small fortune on radio therapy (?) in dublin i think, the dog went into remission twice if memory serves, but finally she succumb, but like i say he spent thousands, if you had pet insurance though?

no no pet insurance,,there wasn't such a thing when we got her almost 13 years ago,,,,pity cos it would have saved me a fortune when she got diabieties,,,unfortunatley she probably wouldn't handle any cancer treatment so it doesn't really matter anyway,,,,,,,:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Sorry to hear that Joyce, my thoughts and prayers are with you

Advertisement