Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting 1 year old cat to bond with new arrival - 7 week old kitten (really cute!)

Options
  • 06-10-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Nearly a year ago our then kitten Gulliver started hanging around our house and we have since adopted him.

Last night we got a 7 week old kitten. Shes had a bit of tough time getting settled in. When we first got her, outside my door, she jumped out of her box and ran down the estate and into thorn buses which she tried to climb. Just a while ago, after I got out from behind our piano, she managed to get behind my washing machine, in behind the toilet and started climbing up the sewer pipe to upstairs. So it was lucky I caught her.

This isnt helped by Gulliver who is making these deep noises at her, and then growling at her when he gets nearer. Hes finding it hard to adjust to her. At first he was a afraid of her which is funny considering hes five times her size!

So any tips for getting the two kittys to get along?

PS Ill stick up pics later :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This is what Im on about, I dont know if you can hear Gulliver groaning at her:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Awwww so cute. I could only see the first few seconds (slow internet).

I recently had this problem, I picked an 8 week old kitten off a busy road in July and one of my cats (female) would not take to him at all. She wouldnt even come near the house and started disappearing days on end. Strangely my other cat, a tom, took to him straight away - thought it would be the other way around! They would sleep together, wash each other etc.
    Anyway I basically had to give the other cat loads of attention (when she finally would come in the house) if I had the kitten on my lap I would put him in the other room and let her up on my lap, show her that she was as important, feed her first etc. Eventually after about 1 month she tolerated him enough to sleep at opposite ends of the couch (huge achievement in my eyes!) and now they will even eat out of the same bowl!!!!
    What I'm saying is, its going to take time alot longer than one day! Just make a fuss of Gulliver esp when the kitten is around. Let him know that he's still no 1. Honestly my cat is such a bag of nerves - if she can adapt im sure yours will too!!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you chuck them together it is not going to happen overnight, you will end up stressed pissed off cats.

Introduce them gradually and keep them in seperates rooms with their own bowls and litter trays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I realize it will be a slow process. Certain articles I read online suggested a period of weeks before they even see each other, so too late for that.

But ... things are going well, even after only 48 hours! Gullivers stopped most of his growling and is starting to be tolerant. Just there he was sleeping on a jumper and the new cat came over and lay next to him. He was a little agitated but he smelt her a bit and waited a few minutes before moving off.

:)

Advertisement