Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ms Office Bargain???

• 06-10-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I haven't posted in the Tech section of Boards before but I need to get MS Office for my laptop & came accross this website and I was wondering if it's legit. http://www.software4students.ie/# . It is a great offer for parents with kids in school or college etc, which I have, so I would like to hear form someone who has bought from this website.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

As the name says, it's for students only.

It's also legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭homer911

Havent bought anything off them myself, but it is genuine.

Before purchase though, I suggest finding out if your employer is a member of Microsoft's Home Use Program.

If so, you can get MS Office for the cost of the P&P

https://hup.microsoft.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

testicle wrote: »
    As the name says, it's for students only.

As I said, I have a child in National school who will hopefully get use out of this software at home.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do you really need office? For the price concious there are other options out there. You would really need office to justify paying for it these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do you really need office? For the price concious there are other options out there. You would really need office to justify paying for it these days.

€47 for Office Enterprise on that link. Hardly going to break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OpenOffice = Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

€47 for Office Enterprise on that link. Hardly going to break the bank.
    It's still a nice chunk of change for software that's essentially very restricted in what you can do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

tricky D wrote: »
    OpenOffice = Free

Indeed it is. If you can figure out how to open a large doc from a customer with a table of contents without Open Office Write (it was v3) shagging it up let me know. We evaluated it here earlier on this year. I really, really wanted to save a fortune and go with Open Office. Couldn't do it. Anyway that's off topic.

€47 for Office Enterprise (I don't know how it's restricted) isn't a bad price for students but they probably wouldn't get any benefit over Open Office or Google Docs anyway. Now if only they sold Windows 7 and not Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Now if only they sold Windows 7 and not Vista.

They will, on the 22nd of October, when it is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's still a nice chunk of change for software that's essentially very restricted in what you can do with it.

You get full versions of all the main Office programs with this offer and the only restriction is that you can't use them for commercial use, as the OP is buying it for his kids this shouldn't be a problem.

As other posters have said the site is totally legit and is actually advertised by Microsoft on their education websites.

I have looked at the free alternatives before and was not impressed, they all seem very amateurish in comparison to Microsoft Office. Microsoft are the market leader for a reason

• Advertisement
Advertisement