Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming machine - where to buy prebuilt?

• 06-10-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking for a new machine which will be used for gaming. Upgrading his current machine has been ruled out as has buying the components and building (even though I've offered my services).

I'm wondering where to get a decent machine??? Budget is €1000 - €1200.

Komplett don't seem to build machines any more? Are the dell xps machines any good? Buying from harwareversand is not really on either as it's being bought as a present by a few so payment would be a bit on the awkward side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Komplett no longer assemble unfortunately.

HWS is definitely the best value. considering what you could save it might be worth the hassle of payment. You could also try the sister company Atelco, the charge more, but have better customer service and I think possible more payment options.

From time to time overclockers have some decent value, but its rare enough.

Dell XPS are a pile of crap. I'd stay well away, i've been using a two year old one for the past year and it's been replaced 3 times at least due to overheating issues.

the only other places i can think of really are dabs, elara and ankermann, none of which can match HWS for value (to the best of my knowledge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

the only other places i can think of really are dabs, elara and ankermann, none of which can match HWS for value (to the best of my knowledge).

I would give Ankermann the thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Big Lar wrote: »
    I would give Ankermann the thumbs up.

tbh i've had no dealings with them, but reading on the B&U forums they tend to use really cheap components (namely PSU, Mobo, Case) in their preassembled PCs, so beware, sometimes their value isn't as good as it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

tbh i've had no dealings with them, but reading on the B&U forums they tend to use really cheap components (namely PSU, Mobo, Case) in their preassembled PCs, so beware, sometimes their value isn't as good as it seems.

Fairly true to be honest, The PSU is a "Made in China" one, However in fairness they do supply fairly top end stuff also, Both my Mobo & Graphics card are manufactured by ASUS, Intel Chip, Black Case(which seems fairly solid enough) :D, I could go on......
    Or I could say that every component used in the PC has a recognisable name (Cept the PSU of course)
    I contacted a few Irish companies with the spec and asked them if they could match it but No was the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

So Dell xps machines are to be avoided then. TBH I've heard mixed reports on ankermann. Has anyone used wired2fire.co.uk or one of the scan.co.uk 3xs systems? I found scan to be ok to deal with (bought media centre components from there a few months back) and their specs seem to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ankermann is okay for basic pc's but they used the very cheapest of the cheapest components, and their afterservice is terrible. Your best bet really is to get yoru friend to get a dell, well made pc's and good afterservice... Well apart from all the indian tech guy s who read from a script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Anti wrote: »
    Ankermann is okay for basic pc's but they used the very cheapest of the cheapest components, and their afterservice is terrible. Your best bet really is to get yoru friend to get a dell, well made pc's and good afterservice... Well apart from all the indian tech guy s who read from a script.

For the love of god if your friend is a gamer don't leave him near a dell. The upgrading possibilities are next to useless . And the aftersales service suck ass. And dell XPS are about as overpriced as Alienware. i.e. very very.

My thoughts on reading the options on the xps machines were that there isn't great value for money to be had. By going with one of the uk builders better bang for the buck could be achieved.

Yeah the XPS versions are over priced, but they are upgradable very easilly... unless its the psu, or motherboard. But dell do offer upgraded parts too these days. As for their afetrsales ive never had any problems with them, in my last job i would use them daily and found them really good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah the XPS versions are over priced, but they are upgradable very easilly... unless its the psu, or motherboard. But dell do offer upgraded parts too these days. As for their afetrsales ive never had any problems with them, in my last job i would use them daily and found them really good.
    I thought they started using standard motherboards and power supplies a while ago. I might be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

scan.co.uk offer good prices and a heck of a lot of options.

Dell xps's just are not made for gaming, yes you can upgrade the gpu's but they charge ridiculous premiums for anything that isn't basic!

STAY AWAY FROM ANKERMANN!!!!!

Stories of people ordering high end cards in their builds and getting low end ones. Different processors DOA and no support! Reports of components coming loose during transit(this shouldn't happen!).
    And to boot not so great pricing especially when you look at their old mobo's, cheap ram and silly psu's...

To get the best value you have to go with a self build! But if you can't then some of overclockers.co.uk pc's aren't "that" bad....
    Adverts.ie or ebay could be your friend?

I thought they started using standard motherboards and power supplies a while ago. I might be wrong though.

They could very well have, ive not been near a dell since the beginning of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

HWS is definitely the best value. considering what you could save it might be worth the hassle of payment.

This. Best option after that is to build your own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They could very well have, ive not been near a dell since the beginning of this year.

Maybe not so then as I thought they did it a couple of years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gerpir Feilan

Best advice would be... get components and put all together by yourself.
    Its really easy.
    Im using mostly komplett coz they have pickup point near where I live. If I want something extra Im getting it from overclockers.co.uk. Wait a bit for new graphic cards to get in stock (this month) older will go down with price. And really dont buy cheap memory.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Last time I checked the best price/performance was between:

computerplanet.co.uk
    ginger6.com
    overclockers.co.uk

I have no problems whatsoever buying parts and building a machine (I built my main pc at home and I've got parts for a media center waiting for me in boxes too :)). I agree that it represents the best bang for the buck. I have, on more than one occasion, offered my services to help him with building the machine if he buys parts.

I think he's going to buy it through his business and claim the vat back and reckons a computer would be a better buy than parts from a potential eyebrow raising point of view.

Advertisement