Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an iPhone app....do i need a mac??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

Probably the wrong place for this post, but Ive been looking for 40 mins for somewhere else.

Im looking to get a app made. I reckon one for the ipod/phone would be best, but if it could be extended to other phones etc, so be it.

Where would one go looking for someone to do this?

It would be a simple app, just an internet radio station. So basically, I want to stream to the said device and have a play/pause button and a volume control. Maybe a link to the website. I have an app very simular to what i want, so i assume it should help.

Thank for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

LeBash wrote: »
    Probably the wrong place for this post, but Ive been looking for 40 mins for somewhere else.

Im looking to get a app made. I reckon one for the ipod/phone would be best, but if it could be extended to other phones etc, so be it.

It would be a simple app, just an internet radio station. So basically, I want to stream to the said device and have a play/pause button and a volume control. Maybe a link to the website. I have an app very simular to what i want, so i assume it should help.

Thank for any help

I'd say try contacting some of the developers on http://apps.ie they should be able to sort you out. Some of the best tallent in the country is up there.
    As you are looking for a radio player I know that Mercury Girl Inc have already developed a radio player that Today FM is using, John Callaghan there should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

Thats great Paddy,

Thanks for your help brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Additionally, J2ME runs on all of them - arguing that it does not run 'well' is a bit pedantic,

You sound like someone who has never developed a mobile application in J2ME ;)

I have nothing but horrible memories of non standard implementations of the standard, to issues with addressing up to 7 or 8 different screen sizes. Its so fragmented its horrible and so much effort has to go into trying to just keep it OK on so many mini platforms rather than making it really great.

As a developer I find that really annoying so the impact of targeting the high end of the market regarding the technically smaller market share is worth it. It helps that the people at the higher end are more likely to use and be comfortable with the idea of applications on their phone anyway.

My attitude to target mid range nokia s60 style devices is to do a simple web application. If their phone's browser is modern enough great if not, tough. We need to look forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You sound like someone who has never developed a mobile application in J2ME ;)
    I have, but in fairness I've been wearing a suit and away from the coal face for a long time now :o
    My attitude to target mid range nokia s60 style devices is to do a simple web application. If their phone's browser is modern enough great if not, tough. We need to look forward.
    I've been playing around with Nokia WRT widgets for a while now - I'll have to admit that I love the sheer speed you can get something up and running. Regrettably, other than their being limited to a subset of Nokia's phones, I suspect that the technology is likely to get dropped soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

An Intel based Mac running Leopard.
    The free iPhone SDK.
    You can only use the built in emulator to test, which is fairly accurate.

Is it an absolute requirement to have an INTEL based mac? They seem to be a bit more expensive to buy. I've heard that the Snow Leopard upgrade can be used stright from Tiger but Im still wondering is the processor type still a sticking point?

Thanks,
    FB

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fxstb

LeBash wrote: »

Thank for any help

Hey LeBash,
    I'm assuming this is a little late, but just wanted to offer custom application development.
    Our company has just recently updated our iphone and symbian application development services.
    If your interested, just drop me a line and I would more than happy to speak with you.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fxstb

any key wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been tinkering around with an idea for an iPhone app, and would like to outsource the development to someone with relatively decent app dev knowledge. Any advise on where/how to find someone in Ireland to do this, its a simple app with a modest budget.

Thanks

Hey ,
    I'm assuming this is a little late, but just wanted to offer custom application development.
    Our company has just recently updated our iphone and symbian application development services.
    If your interested, just drop me a line and I would more than happy to speak with you.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

Hi all,

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a 10.5 upgrade disk for a machine that is currently running 10.4?

Thansk,
    FB

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I went the hackintosh route and was very impressed by the ease of install and the performance. After looking into hardware compatibility I chose to buy a little Dell mini 10V netbook and connect it to a USB keyboard and 19" LCD so now I may as well have a mac. I just bought snow leopard directly from the apple store for about € 30. I got the Dell Mini 10V for like €229 on a Paddy's day deal this year, but they may be harder to come by now. I'm not sure if the newer model supports Snow Leopard as readily as the 10V

Here is my post about how to get the thing installed
    http://bit.ly/ctWE63

Also, you don't necessarily learn Objective-C (although that would be the best method),
    I have some more posts here about making native apps for Mobiles (iPhone, Android, etc) using just Web technologies (HTML, CSS, Javascript etc)

http://bit.ly/blJdqQ
    http://bit.ly/a7ynIJ

after the 2 above posts and with a bit of research I went with Titanium Developer in the end -
    http://www.appcelerator.com/

I just wish I had the time to dedicate to start making some decent apps, I have all the tools at my disposal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

This also looks promising....
    http://www.dragonfiresdk.com/index.htm

Apparently it allows you to program for iPhone on Windows!!!
    (You'll need to use C or C++)

I have yet to try it but unless it produces pure Xcode source code I'm not so sure about it... hmmm the company will publish your app to Apple Store for you, for a fee I'm sure, but this could be useful...

I'm going to look into this straight away

[EDIT] it's $50 or $100 for the pro version - so not for me but any good C++ programmer with a few quid that wants to try it out let us know if it's any good :-D [/EDIT]

Advertisement