Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAD technician

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hello all. This is my first time posting here so please be kind.

I have been working as a CAD technician in a multi disciplinary engineering consultancy for three years now. I am using AutoCAD 2D, 3D and Microstation 2D. I am also trained in Revit Architecture but unfortunately don;t get to use this in work.

I have prepared planning applications for friends and families using Revit Architecture. I would love to get more into this kind of work so I am just looking for advice on how to do this.

Maybe some freelance work - I have a pretty good set up at home. Does anybody have any contacts or knowledge of freelance in this area?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Revit is a bit over kill for planning applications, 2D Cad would be better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I still use a drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

I tend to use Revit first, it's easiest to create the entire building in revit and then I export it to dwg and use AutoCAD to create the layouts and touch it up a bit.

Someone must know a few contacts of people who use technicians for planning drawings, desperate for a bit of work on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Zodiacc

Daragh86 wrote: »
    I tend to use Revit first, it's easiest to create the entire building in revit and then I export it to dwg and use AutoCAD to create the layouts and touch it up a bit.

Someone must know a few contacts of people who use technicians for planning drawings, desperate for a bit of work on the side.

Join Revit users forums like revitcity and revitzone, just like Solidworks, Pro Engineer (Engineering Design software) and the like, you could make some contacts there. There are also Irish websites where you can place yourself as a freelancer in Ireland and you can bid for work that is requested by people who are looking for guys like you. Ring up some architects and make yourself known to them, make some contacts get your name out there, if they have work that they could outsource you might be lucky. Advertise your services as much as you can.

Good luck!
    Zodiacc

Advertisement