Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get bread right

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

I had a go at making regular white bread last night - not for the first time - and ran into some difficulties.

I used self-raising flour, tepid water, salt and olive oil to make the dough. I mixed it all together, and kneaded it until I had a nice, springy doughball.

So, I understand that I am supposed to leave it in a bowl to rise, or double in size in an hour. However, this never happens for me, the ball just stays as it is. So, I bang it in the oven, and the ball does expand a little bit as it cooks, but I am essentially left with a big scone.

Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would think you need to add yeast and a little sugar as well to get the bread to rise, self raising will give you scone dough.
    I would also use strong flour AA or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You are using self-raising flour, which is essentially flour with baking powder. Anything with baking powder as rising agent needs to be baked immediately. A dough you want to prove will only rise if it is made with yeast!

Best for white bread is strong white flour.

Use 1 sachet of Fast Acting Dried Yeast for 500 g strong white, add 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar, 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, 300 to 350 ml tepid water to get a pliable dough, knead well, shape (+ put in tin), cover with clingfilm, leave to rise until doubled in size (hotpress!) then bake in a hot oven (220 C) for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Good luck!

CJHaughey was faster!!!

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It strong white flour you need (and yeast). After that you can't go wrong.

I bought myself one of those breadmakers a couple of years back. Never looked back. No kneading. No waiting for bread to rise. Just chuck the ingredients in before you go to bed and wake up to fresh bread.

Advertisement