Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection problems

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have Wireless Broadband, provided by E*rcom via Ne*topia router. With the package it included dual line, (able to use the phone while online). We also have a Skype Wi-Fi cordless phone. It is not connected to a pc, it works via the landline and then through the router, enabling us to make skype and normal landline calls. We have everything almost a year and it was all fine from the start, up until the start of 2009. The first problem that occured is when you are online and a skype or normal landline calls come through, you are immediately disconnected from the internet and redirected to the N*otopia homepage. Defeating the purpose of a dual line service. And the major problem is, over the past few months the wireless connection is dropping nonstop! When I toggle over the wireless icon it tells me connection is good @ 58kps, signal strentgh excellent, but yet it will continually drop. Anti virus software is upto date, and so is the software for the phone. Im at a loss. I connected the whole thing together myself, but if everything worked from the start, surely the connections of wires etc must be ok???

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Im not very Technic Savvy, so you might have to talk in baby steps:confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Sha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

shashaela wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have Wireless Broadband, provided by E*rcom via Ne*topia router. With the package it included dual line, (able to use the phone while online). We also have a Skype Wi-Fi cordless phone. It is not connected to a pc, it works via the landline and then through the router, enabling us to make skype and normal landline calls. We have everything almost a year and it was all fine from the start, up until the start of 2009. The first problem that occured is when you are online and a skype or normal landline calls come through, you are immediately disconnected from the internet and redirected to the N*otopia homepage. Defeating the purpose of a dual line service. And the major problem is, over the past few months the wireless connection is dropping nonstop! When I toggle over the wireless icon it tells me connection is good @ 58kps, signal strentgh excellent, but yet it will continually drop. Anti virus software is upto date, and so is the software for the phone. Im at a loss. I connected the whole thing together myself, but if everything worked from the start, surely the connections of wires etc must be ok???

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Im not very Technic Savvy, so you might have to talk in baby steps:confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Sha
    The skype phone and Eircom router are both 2.4Ghz wireless devices, having them in close proximity can cause destructive interferrence. How close are they to each other? It might be worth your while changing your Netopia wireless channel (I recommend 11).

192.168.1.254 > Wireless > Advanced Wireless Configuration > Channel > 11 > Save and Restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

The router and the actual phone base are about 20-30 feet apart, (apartment)there is one room between them both. The main part for the skype phone (sorry ive no idea what this is called, the part thats connected to the landline) thats positioned right beside the router as its connected to it.

I'll try the advice you gave me this evening when i get home. Hope fully it will work. thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

shashaela wrote: »
    The router and the actual phone base are about 20-30 feet apart, (apartment)there is one room between them both. The main part for the skype phone (sorry ive no idea what this is called, the part thats connected to the landline) thats positioned right beside the router as its connected to it.

I'll try the advice you gave me this evening when i get home. Hope fully it will work. thanks for your reply.
    The unit itself beside the router is the part that's broadcasting that wireless signal, the phone is just the receiver. Let us know how you get on, changing the channel won't hurt and can be done over the wireless.

Hi again!
    I tried to do what you said, not sure if i went to correct place though. The only way and thing that was remotely similar was the following ; right clicked on the wireless connection / properties / general / connect using : INTEL 2200BG wireless network connection / configure / properties / this was the setting already set = ADhoc channel with preset value of 802.11b/g and a box beside this with 10 displayed. I assumed the 10 was the channel? none of this made sense to me, wasnt 100% if this is the same as what you explained so i didnt change anything yet. Also, in addition to the connection disconnecting, just wondered if being low in vitual memory could also be a cause, as this is often displayed. Although this isnt displayed even half as much as "no or limited connection" than automatic disconnection. Just thought id mention it incase it was relevant. Any ideas????????????????

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

You need to change the channel on the router not on the wireless nic in your laptop

• Advertisement

Thanks Macdaddy, Ive done that but its not helping:( Other than throwing my laptop out the window is there anything else i could do???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement