Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there! We're thinking of selling our house. Could anyone recommend a good estate agent? Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Well its going to be tough whoever you use but i only have good things to say about Sherry Fitzgerald in the Meridian pt.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i cannot recommend a good estate agent highly enough. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

From indirect experience I would also recommend Sherry Fitz. Talk to Shane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're in Charlesland CBKW will probably do you a good deal (they include conveyancing in their fee). I've used Sherry Fitz in the past and they are good, but they do charge a very high commission. I've been unimpressed with Dooley anytime I've used them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have met Derrick McGovern from Dooleys while viewing a number houses. He does an excellent job from a purchaser's perspective, is very unobtrusive. A couple of days later he will phone for feedback...something a lot of agents don't bother doing!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gossie

Thank you all for the advice,

will follow up,

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

We sold our house with Dooley a few month ago, and in fairness they did everything humanly possible to get the sale through the line, so I can recommend them. It's really tough no matter who you go with anyway.

We also rented out our property using CBKW prior to sale and found them quite good.

Sherryfitz has ridiculous commissions and initial charges and doesn't advertise on daft.ie, so I don't recommend them. There's absolutely no justification for that, and in this current market there isn't much any estate agent can do to sell your house, apart from voodoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think Sherries dont use DAFT as they used to be one of the owners of myhome.ie, maybe a condition of the sale was to continue soley using the myhome service?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

have you looked into sellityourself.ie. Cut out fees, and realistically estate agents don't really do anything that most people can't do themselves if you've a bit of time to show house. Anyone can be an estate agent! Stick it on myhome and daft yourself. Sellityourself for sale placards are more common than ever at the moment.

dr ro wrote: »
    have you looked into sellityourself.ie. Cut out fees, and realistically estate agents don't really do anything that most people can't do themselves if you've a bit of time to show house. Anyone can be an estate agent! Stick it on myhome and daft yourself. Sellityourself for sale placards are more common than ever at the moment.

you can't put your house on MyHome if you're not with an estate agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Luke Emia

Has that changed? Used to see loads of individuals selling properties on daft. Can't imagine they would turn down a fee these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

astrofluff wrote: »
    I have met Derrick McGovern from Dooleys while viewing a number houses. He does an excellent job from a purchaser's perspective, is very unobtrusive. A couple of days later he will phone for feedback...something a lot of agents don't bother doing!

We used them as well and found them very good. The place was sold within 3 or 4 days of going on the market, but that was at the peak of the market.

Luke Emia wrote: »
    Has that changed? Used to see loads of individuals selling properties on daft. Can't imagine they would turn down a fee these days.

Daft will take an ad from individuals, MyHome won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

I would stay away form Lenox. We were 'selling' thorough them for 9 months, and there was one issue after another, too interested in selling the newly released house in our area (Delgany Wood) And they must have phoned me about 4 times to ask if I would be interested in viewing my own property!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

My wife and I have just bought a house in Greystones after 15 patient months of looking so I've had plenty of experience with the local estate agents from the prospective buyers side of the house.

The majority of our viewings were with Dooley, Sherry Fitz (SF) and Lennox so I'll just give my opinions on those.

Dooley was very good and perfectly pleasant to deal with. From a buyer's perspective they would be a perfectly good choice for a seller.

Lennox were less professional - we had frequent bouts of the giggles at some of lamentably poor English in their brochures and also, the person doing the viewing with us never knew anything about the property. That's not the person's fault, it's just the way Lennox does things which I think is poor compared to other local agents. I also found them more difficult to make viewing appointments with and generally not as well organised as Dooley or SF.

SF were probably the most professional in terms of brochures, presentation etc. and were also very helpful with queries and very informative about the local market (with their own biases of course). I think many of the people who showed us houses may sadly not be working with SF anymore, but we are still dealing with staff there as we ended up buying one of their houses in the end. The staff continue to be helpful and professional to deal with - and in terms of having an agent who will do a proper job of presenting your home to the market, they would seem a good choice to me.

In summary, when going to a viewing, I would definitely prefer be going to a viewing by either SF or Dooley than by Lennox. SF are a bigger organisation than Dooley and so there's more staff to be helpful to the buyers out there - but I guess they charge you to cover the bills of those staff as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Osvaldoc

Estate Agents are struggling and loosing money. THE ESTATE agents Sherry Fitz-Gerald made a pretax loss of €15.5 million in 2008, a year it described as “exceptionally difficult and challenging” in accounts just filed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1019/1224256972769.html

Cut out the middle man and sell your house yourself is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

I am selling my house now too guys.We have chosen sf but I was wondering, we are taking the photos ourselves and they still want 450 + vat from us for the advertising. Is that their usual price as I thought that if we did the photos they would take that price from the 450 as we are photographers? P.S Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Tunner

the estate agents take the photos themselves, so they're not saving much money by having the client take the photos. The price is for printing up brochures and (I presume) MyHome fees etc.

One thing I will say for Sherry Fitz is that they take decent photos compared to some of the other agents - they have proper wide-angle cameras and they also draw up proper floor plans. The poor quality of photographs you see in some ads is unbelievable...

Advertisement