Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towards a career in research

• 06-10-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

I am interested in hearing what your opinions are regarding the best way to pursue a career in research after the completion of an undergraduate degree. Specifically, what would the benefits of a taught masters in research methods be over a research masters program? Despite completing my undergraduate research project, I would be nervous about attempting a research masters as I would prefer to continue learning about statistics and research methodology or is this something best mastered "on the job", so to speak. I ask because I have no idea. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In my field (engineering) many Postgrads simply transfer from Masters to PhD after a year or two. This is done with the intention of doing a PhD from the get go.

In this environment you learn most things on the job. You will have the oppertunity to take training courses etc but often I find you learn better when you have a definate objective.

There is a shift towards a part taught PhD recently which includes training and other modules to provide additional knowledge in a more structured manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Valmont wrote: »
    Specifically, what would the benefits of a taught masters in research methods be over a research masters program?

For a career in research? None, IMO.
    Despite completing my undergraduate research project, I would be nervous about attempting a research masters as I would prefer to continue learning about statistics and research methodology or is this something best mastered "on the job", so to speak.

You won't learn any statistics or research methodology on a taught masters that you can't learn twice as fast, twice as well, with a good mentor (it may not be easy to find a good mentor, though). In addition, you get to actually perform research instead of just reading about it in a book. Also, it's possible you can get funding for a research masters, which beats paying for a taught masters hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Despite completing my undergraduate research project, I would be nervous about attempting a research masters as I would prefer to continue learning about statistics and research methodology or is this something best mastered "on the job", so to speak.
    Yep. Pretty much every research postgrad learns new techniques as part of their research – it’s all part of the process I suppose. Learning how to manage and analyse data is a component of this. I certainly wouldn’t allow something like that to scare you away from research – you’ll pick up what you need to know during the course of your work.

Advertisement