Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 people went OFF the live register in Galway

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I heard on Galway Bay FM there that 700 people went OFF the live register in County Galway, 200 of them in the City, Does anyone know where people are getting these jobs? theres nothing online, or in the local papers, not 200 anyway? Are people setting up there own business's, or are these jobs not advertised to the public, but through word of mouth? I've read that 70% of jobs are not advertised. What does everyone think about this? how did ye get your jobs? or how are ye going about getting a job? Could we have one of those Sticky thread things with anyone who sees or hears anything could post updated jobs in the city?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Unemployed coming off the register and starting educational/training courses (aka massaging the figures)
    Non-permanent teachers starting back at work

It's the same every september, figures should rise again this month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Id be one of the 200, I got a job through ice recruitment, not easily mind you.

But I think snubbleste has it, education. Numbers will prob rise again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JayMcD wrote: »
    700 people went OFF the live register in Galway

Gas chambers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ive actually seen a good few windows with signs up looking for people.
    Christmas is coming so seasonal staff will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

A lot of students gone back to college aswell, who would have been on the Dole for the summer etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if you're in the middle of a course you can't go on the dole for summer, unless you're on BTEA.

A lot of people started BTEA this September though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Soylent Green, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'd imagine a good deal of it is down to them tightening up who they give benefits do and clamping down on fraudulent claims.

and a lot of people both Irish and non leaving the country of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'd imagine a good deal of it is down to them tightening up who they give benefits do and clamping down on fraudulent claims.

and a lot of people both Irish and non leaving the country of course.

Sounds like you would alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

po0k wrote: »
    Sounds like you would alright :pac:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hollyg'lightly

I'd say its teachers or maybe students who are back at college and were swindling it somehow for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd say its teachers or maybe students who are back at college and were swindling it somehow for the summer.

Some of us students are entitled tho!! Not all swindlers!

Supposedly the number of builders on the motorway have gone from 600 to 900 in order to finish by January.

Construction has also started on the engineering building I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

There is also probably no need to advertise alot of shop/bar staff etc. work anymore cause there is so many people coming to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Christmas staff for retail would be a chunk of that I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

I'm one of the 200 as well. Ice recruitment placed me for a temping contract for two weeks and I'm on week 6 so fingers crossed I will be kept on. I was starting to think I would never get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Will see what the advertiser is like tomorrow for jobs! Didnt seem to great last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

Many unemployed people who were awarded 15 months Jobseekers Benefit were reduced to 12 months (last budget) They were not informed by letter just cut off. These people are now waiting for interviews to be assessed for Jobseekers Allowance which can take up to 4 months. In the meantime they are off the live register but still unemployed.

Shanley wrote: »
    Will see what the advertiser is like tomorrow for jobs! Didnt seem to great last week!
    Many jobs aren't being put in the papers - online is cheaper - putting a sign in the window is cheaper still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

fend wrote: »
    A lot of students gone back to college aswell, who would have been on the Dole for the summer etc...

yeah this was what i was thinking, undergrads, postgrads , phd's people immigrating, plenty of reasons why the live register would be down around this time of year, not necessarily all 700 people got jobs in the galway city and county area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im one of the 700 that came off it by heading to Aus:D

Advertisement