Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone any luck on their new licenses yet?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

I want my new shotgun and i want it now goddammit! I left my my application on 09/09/2009 and i havnt even got a letter that its been received yet and the guards told me two weeks ago their system is up and running.

it really would be a gift to get out shooting for the start of this season with my new gun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I suggest you give them a ring and ask I have heard rumours that they havent started inputting the new information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I suggest you give them a ring and ask I have heard rumours that they havent started inputting the new information

I've heard the same rumour today and also that the post office wont be ready for months yet to accept payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

foxhunter wrote: »
    I've heard the same rumour today and also that the post office wont be ready for months yet to accept payments.
    oh good god :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

stevoman wrote: »
    I want my new shotgun and i want it now goddammit! I left my my application on 09/09/2009 and i havnt even got a letter that its been received yet and the guards told me two weeks ago their system is up and running.

it really would be a gift to get out shooting for the start of this season with my new gun.

same boat as your self ,only mine is a rifle:mad: so i got my self a 09 springer to keep ma self going :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A shaggin' joke. I want my deer-buster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1

Using my target rifle for the deer. Want my new one.:eek:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Watch out for extensions til Jan 2010,methinks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Have been told "no way in hell will you have licence by 31st October" so i'd say you're on the right track there Grizzly
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bunnybuster

Ive heard from someone in the know,that NO licenes will be issued before NOVEMBER, hope this is wrong as also want to get my new gun

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

are ye talkin about guns ye have already and "renewing" (i know that might not be technically correct), or new guns.
    I'm buying a shotgun off a guy, it'll be a new license for me, I have another firearm already licensed and extended till may 2010.
    No letter of receipt yet, almost a month since I dropped in the application, maybe I should give the local cop shop a shout and see if theres any progress.
    Has anyone been issued a license since the 1st of August anywhere in the country???

A Country Voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

stevoman wrote: »

well just had detective at the door looking at ma safe.asked where i use to live told him the 8 differnt addresses he wrote them all down asked where the misses was from and wrote it down,iasked how long i have to wait now ,he has to look me up send it to the boss who sends it to dublin who sends it back to letterkenny so fcuk knows how long thats gona be but still the ball is rolling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

This is a joke, if there was new legislation preventing football matches from being played or stopping a rally from going ahead there would be blue murder!

As usual the shooting community gets shafted and put on the long finger!

Rant over!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

F/O was onto to me last week about my moderator, not messing probably the soundest guy i have ever came across he only new to the position in my area feel pretty lucky to be honest.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

moose112 wrote: »
    F/O was onto to me last week about my moderator, not messing probably the soundest guy i have ever came across he only new to the position in my area feel pretty lucky to be honest.:D

WTF is this great the nargc doing .

are ye talkin about guns ye have already and "renewing" (i know that might not be technically correct), or new guns.

For me its a new hunting rifle. So its in the shop till i get my new licence.
    Has anyone been issued a license since the 1st of August anywhere in the country???

A Country Voice

No. Not possible as the system only came online 2 - 3 weks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

jwshooter wrote: »
    WTF is this great the nargc doing .

?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

got a call from my FO last night just asking me was it a new shotgun license or a renewal. Tolf him it was a new one, but i already have another gun. Must have only got around to looking at it last night ebven though i left the application in a month ago.

I asked him would i have my license for the start of November, he said he honestly didnt know.

Will the guards be calling to every house to inspect gun safes i wonder?

ezridax wrote: »
    For me its a new hunting rifle. So its in the shop till i get my new licence.

No. Not possible as the system only came online 2 - 3 weks ago.

Of course its possible!!
    If the system has been "online" for 2-3 weeks what have they been doing for the 2-3weeks?
    How long does it take to have a look at a guys paperwork, maybe ring the local cop to ask if the guy is a psycho, then if he's not, get the letter printed off with the bit to take to the post office to pay for the license, and then send out the license to him on payment.
    Sounds like about 5-10mins work to get the letter of approval out and then its up to the applicant to go to the post office.
    Or maybe all the supers are busy travelling around to race meetings and long lunches, and browsing french curtain shops like other prominent public servants :D

Playing devils advoate here:

A little bit of patience might be called for - the guards themselves are not that familiar with new system and there will be a lot more back and forth between various people about applications this time around.

Its a new system, there will be mistakes and your local FAO mightn't have all the answers. Don't forget - we aren't the only thing going on at the moment.

I would also, if possible, try and seperate out the very recent DISTURBING NEWS, that comes from the very top, not from your local guards. Perhaps a little bit of help, support and patience from shooters at the moment (I know its a difficult time) will go a lot further then just bitching at your local guard, who more then likely has less info then you do.

My .2c anyways

Of course its possible!!
    If the system has been "online" for 2-3 weeks what have they been doing for the 2-3weeks?

I'll rephase it. From 1st of August till 15th September it wasn't possible. From 15th September onwards it is. Why its taking so long. I don't know. New system, lack of training, not all aspects up and running fully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ezridax wrote: »
    I'll rephase it. From 1st of August till 15th September it wasn't possible. From 15th September onwards it is. Why its taking so long. I don't know. New system, lack of training, not all aspects up and running fully.

plus- garda not giving a toss!, dragging their feet over pay cuts!, seeing this as them now making up the law instead of enforcers of! and some having a general disdain of gunowners and looking for some payback! yep theres a lot of ingredients in this pie methinks:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

29th September I think was when I put in my application, it's on a thread here somewhere. Point being, Garda told me they'd not even been briefed about the new system up to that point, so sure, they can accept applications, but I get the distinct feeling they file them ontop of a desk somewhere until someone who knows what to do will be trained on it.

Yesterday, same Garda phoned me about one point on my shotgun license, seems only then had he gotten around to looking at it after promising to "get it in" the day I submitted it.

I'm with those who "don't give a feck" at this point, it's gone on for so long as to be tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    29th September I think was when I put in my application, it's on a thread here somewhere. Point being, Garda told me they'd not even been briefed about the new system up to that point, so sure, they can accept applications, but I get the distinct feeling they file them ontop of a desk somewhere until someone who knows what to do will be trained on it.

Yesterday, same Garda phoned me about one point on my shotgun license, seems only then had he gotten around to looking at it after promising to "get it in" the day I submitted it.

I'm with those who "don't give a feck" at this point, it's gone on for so long as to be tiresome.

John i was quite surprised when handing in mines , the guy was well versed with the new legislation , but that hasnt translated into actions and I havent heard a thing from them since, nor know of anyone in my area who has.:)

johngalway wrote: »

Yeah, I spose the don't give a feck attitude is the only way to go at this stage. Might as well just forget about the thing. Maybe sometime between now and Xmas somethin might arrive in the post, maybe not :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I dropped in a application for a new .308 over six weeks ago and i got a call from the sarg last thursday asking me to pop in and clarify some details. When i was there he told me that his first batch would be sent off sometime this week to HQ for scrutiny. :eek:

so i would'nt be holding my breath.:(

Anyway this is a new system and they are only human(allegedly), so a bit of patience won't go astray.;)

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Anyway this is a new system and they are only human(allegedly), so a bit of patience won't go astray.;)

I'll agree with that (until some other calamity or other comes along lol). I reckon quite a lot of the cops we're dealing with are just as pissed off as we are, they get a ton more paperwork to input to an unfamiliar system, soooo many headaches for them. Thing to remember, even though it is part of their job, probably a lot of them aren't the remotest bit interested in shooting so it'd be dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I dropped in a application for a new .308 over six weeks ago and i got a call from the sarg last thursday asking me to pop in and clarify some details. When i was there he told me that his first batch would be sent off sometime this week to HQ for scrutiny. :eek:

so i would'nt be holding my breath.:(

BULL SH!te of the highest order here. It's only a simple database system of people's details that any first year college grad could complete.

And the data input is there in front of the FO's, off the new forms if they have the ability to type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

clivej wrote: »
    BULL SH!te of the highest order here. It's only a simple database system of people's details that any first year college grad could complete.

And the data input is there in front of the FO's, off the new forms if they have the ability to type.
    Hold on to your cattle there Clive ;), these guys aren't you or college grads either and you might want to have a look at a few threads here where people who supposedly know about their firearms and the system are asking some very basic questions.

And we've got any amount of data out there to educate people, so pointing fingers at the boys (and girls) in blue is not really fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

rrpc wrote: »
    Hold on to your cattle there Clive ;), these guys aren't you or college grads either and you might want to have a look at a few threads here where people who supposedly know about their firearms and the system are asking some very basic questions.

And we've got any amount of data out there to educate people, so pointing fingers at the boys (and girls) in blue is not really fair.

more bull sxit ,this was not sprung on them a week ago .

PS .there were so keen to be seen to do something against gun crime they lobbed us in with the criminals in the country and rushed through a bill that was not properly Set up in the first place .
    this time next year would be time enough to bring it in .
    has the licence format even been decided on yet.

clive applied last may or so there is hundreds like him ,every RFD in the counrty is suffering people with families to feed .

so not fair my hairy ass.

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    more bull sxit ,this was not sprung on them a week ago .

True. But, while we've had however long to read up and discuss, as I said earlier, my local Garda hadn't even been briefed. So I would hold on taking out frustration on the front line who're taking in the applications.

The system and how it was rolled out is an obvious problem, sod all the ordinary Garda can do to influence that.

Advertisement