Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone any luck on their new licenses yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

johngalway wrote: »
    True. But, while we've had however long to read up and discuss, as I said earlier, my local Garda hadn't even been briefed. So I would hold on taking out frustration on the front line who're taking in the applications.

The system and how it was rolled out is an obvious problem, sod all the ordinary Garda can do to influence that.

why do local gardai not have Internet access, to familiarize themselves with whats happening.

they might not be able to process until this week .that's no excuse for laziness.

people have spent hard earned money for firearms ,club membership ,or hunting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

jwshooter wrote: »
    why do local gardai not have Internet access, to familiarize themselves with whats happening.

they might not be able to process until this week .that's no excuse for laziness.

people have spent hard earned money for firearms ,club membership ,or hunting .

Same reason as anyone else doing a job in this country JW, they're not getting paid for it. Simple as that. They're rostered for duties, sent on patrols, supervise blasting, done the elections, various tax forms for cars and tractors off the road etc.

It's up to the people above them or organise, train and roll things out and they've done a bad job of that, but it's not the fault of the local cop IMO, he or she is at the bottom of the food chain doing what they're told when they're told.

No one takes on extra work for no pay anymore, those days are long long since gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I get your point John but you missed a few duties in your list, one of them being the licencing of firearms. Its the Gardai's responsibility to control the issuing of licences. Everyone is suffering paycuts and while i feel for their plight they still have a job to do.

The fact that they are not trained up properly is the fault of the higher ups but the Gardai as a whole have had more time and greater access to the information surrounding every aspect of the new laws and procedures. The fact that they were not trained and the information did not get spread to all stations at the same time and in a timely manner should not have affected everyone applying for their licences. ( I know thats kinda moot as its happened)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lets face it the Local Garda were never doing the licenses anyway they just forwarded them on to the head office and what ever Super was in charge in the head office.
    It's only a Garda with the training (and Internet access) that can input the data to THE SYSTEM.

RRPC I know these Guys are not college grads but the people behind the making and implimenting of THE SYSTEM are and therefore they should have made sure it was working correctly in the first place.

You don't go and buy new software for your PC and get told that it will work sometime soon (or never) but keep waiting. 'To Be Sure it'll be alright' is not an attitude to take nor eccept from these guy's.

JW I applied on the 1st April and it's getting on for 6 months now. So far I have invested around €2000 on a rifle that I have yet to get a license for.

And that not including all the time I have wasted in trying to get the license issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

clivej wrote: »
    JW I applied on the 1st April and it's getting on for 6 months now.

Maybe they thought you were trying to be funny. :p

• Advertisement

Maybe they thought you were trying to be funny. :p

And that would be funny if it didn't hurt soooooooooooooooooooo much ;)

This is what they all need to get them all motivated, there's one for every FO in the country.

tuit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

If the gardai, spent more time doing what they are supposed to such as processing firearm certificates and applications, instead of accusing people of running a red light that was actually green:mad::mad:..Do they know the sequence and meanings of traffic lights i wonder to myself:confused: God...what a force we have:rolleyes:

Ps. sorry for rambling, gf is sick of it so people likeminded may understand my frustration a little better;)

ezridax wrote: »
    I get your point John but you missed a few duties in your list, one of them being the licencing of firearms. Its the Gardai's responsibility to control the issuing of licences. Everyone is suffering paycuts and while i feel for their plight they still have a job to do.

The fact that they are not trained up properly is the fault of the higher ups but the Gardai as a whole have had more time and greater access to the information surrounding every aspect of the new laws and procedures. The fact that they were not trained and the information did not get spread to all stations at the same time and in a timely manner should not have affected everyone applying for their licences. ( I know thats kinda moot as its happened)

That kinda was my point :)

around hear is you want a bouncy castle ,load of sand, a mini bus.chances are one of the local Sargent's would be doing it.

you just cant defend the actions of the minister and gardai on this botch up.

des crofton was right when he said ,we suspect some one in temple-more is removing there brains when they sleep.

head less,leader less chickens running around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

around hear is you want a bouncy castle ,load of sand, a mini bus.chances are one of the local Sargent's would be doing it.

you just cant defend the actions of the minister and gardai on this botch up.

des crofton was right when he said ,we suspect some one in temple-more is removing there brains when they sleep.

head less,leader less chickens running around the place.

Agree, they wouldnt be able to organize a piss up in a brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

BULL SH!te of the highest order here. It's only a simple database system of people's details that any first year college grad could complete.

And the data input is there in front of the FO's, off the new forms if they have the ability to type.

Hold on there just one sec Clive.

Firstly i'm in the same boat as you, i have a new application which has been going no where since this whole ball started rolling. So i get your frustration, but i know for a fact that its not as black and white as inputing info into a PC.

Case in point:

My local sub station in open for business one day a week(thursday 1pm till 10pm)

This station has only one Garda sargent assigned to it.

There are a little over 900 licencees in the area(many like myself mulitable owners)

What percentage of these applications do you reckon in your wisdom arrive properly completed with no need for a follow up of some discription?????

The Sargent is the first to tell you that he hasn't got a clue about, nor an interest in firearms.

So what do you think this all adds up to.......

I know your not wet behind the ears Clive, but seriously did you think this whole thing was going to go smoothly?

Hez

I'm waiting on a HMR license since July 17th by the way.

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Hold on there just one sec Clive.

Firstly i'm in the same boat as you, i have a new application which has been going no where since this whole ball started rolling. So i get your frustration, but i know for a fact that its not as black and white as inputing info into a PC.

Case in point:

My local sub station in open for business one day a week(thursday 1pm till 10pm)

This station has only one Garda sargent assigned to it.

There are a little over 900 licencees in the area(many like myself mulitable owners)

What percentage of these applications do you reckon in your wisdom arrive properly completed with no need for a follow up of some discription?????

The Sargent is the first to tell you that he hasn't got a clue about, nor an interest in firearms.

So what do you think this all adds up to.......

I know your not wet behind the ears Clive, but seriously did you think this whole thing was going to go smoothly?

Hez

Thanks for the nod.

BUT I applied before April, the FO dated the application April 1.
    It then sat on the Supers desk until a arranged a meeting with the Super, in August (after getting run-around for months), who amitted he was at fault. Then I had to complete the new system form BECAUSE it was left for so long.

As I said €2000 spent and still no license.

So you tell me who/whom is to blame???????????

I did my part correctly and made sure all the forms were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Thanks for the nod.

Your quite welcome

BUT I applied before April, the FO dated the application April 1.
    It then sat on the Supers desk until a arranged a meeting with the Super, in August (after getting run-around for months), who amitted he was at fault. Then I had to complete the new system form BECAUSE it was left for so long.

I feel your pain

As I said €2000 spent and still no license.

So you tell me who/whom is to blame???????????

I did my part correctly and made sure all the forms were right.

Sorry i could'nt reply sooner but i've been outta range for a few days.:)

Who to blame???? Blame won't make you feel any better! will it? Alot of these guys were totally clueless as regards the new and system and i would wager that a great proportion of them would'nt regard firearm licencing as high on their daily to do list.

I'm not going to get involved in one of these protracted arguments with you that seems to be in vogue around here cos it ain't gonna solve jacksh1t, make you feel any better and i haven't get the inclination.

All i will say is this, all this crap will be worth it in the end, we just gotta give it till mid 2010 and the teething problems will be ironed out. it still won't be the perfect setup but surely it's vast improvment on what went before.

P.s next time i see you down at midlands i gonna give you a great big hug weather you like it or not ;)

Hezz

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Sorry i could'nt reply sooner but i've been outta range for a few days.:)

Who to blame???? Blame won't make you feel any better! will it? Alot of these guys were totally clueless as regards the new and system and i would wager that a great proportion of them would'nt regard firearm licencing as high on their daily to do list.

I'm not going to get involved in one of these protracted arguments with you that seems to be in vogue around here cos it ain't gonna solve jacksh1t, make you feel any better and i haven't get the inclination.

All i will say is this, all this crap will be worth it in the end, we just gotta give it till mid 2010 and the teething problems will be ironed out. it still won't be the perfect setup but surely it's vast improvment on what went before.

P.s next time i see you down at midlands i gonna give you a great big hug weather you like it or not ;)

Hezz

Agree with the not getting into a handbag fight with anyone BUT boy is it good to let off same steam now and then.

Looking forward to the hug I need it I'll be there tomorrow. :D

It's not the local country cop shop open from 6pm - 7pm,
    You would think it would be a lot different when your dealing with a deadicated FO who is appointed to sort all this sh!te out - as I am. I'm dealing with the county station directly. But it's not.

But then she still has to wait on the Super to say yay or nay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lets face it the Local Garda were never doing the licenses anyway they just forwarded them on to the head office and what ever Super was in charge in the head office.
    It's only a Garda with the training (and Internet access) that can input the data to THE SYSTEM.
    The pulse system isn't accessable on the internet and a great many stations around the country don't have internet access anyway.
    RRPC I know these Guys are not college grads but the people behind the making and implimenting of THE SYSTEM are and therefore they should have made sure it was working correctly in the first place.
    Accenture as far as I know were the people behind the Pulse system. And what system have you worked with that automatically updates itself for new data input fields?
    You don't go and buy new software for your PC and get told that it will work sometime soon (or never) but keep waiting. 'To Be Sure it'll be alright' is not an attitude to take nor eccept from these guy's.
    Yes you do, it's called Microsoft Windows and people buy it every day of the week, and then buy the fixes and the fixes for the fixes..... :D
    JW I applied on the 1st April and it's getting on for 6 months now. So far I have invested around €2000 on a rifle that I have yet to get a license for.
    Did you not ask your NGB for assistance in progressing your application. I'm sure they'd be happy to.

rrpc wrote: »
    Did you not ask your NGB for assistance in progressing your application. I'm sure they'd be happy to.

And the NARGC and FPU directly who said all was good and quote - (I still have the E-mail from the FPU)

".......This application is signed and winging its way to computer section......................all sorted now"

Dated 29th July

Meanwhile nearly 10 weeks later and after having to reapply with the new form

I'm still waiting

Look I'm just on a rant here and pissed off over it all.
    If I can't bitch here on this forum then I'll pack up and leave. :eek: ;) :cool:

Look I'm just on a rant here and pissed off over it all.
    If I can't bitch here on this forum then I'll pack up and leave. :eek: ;) :cool:
    OK, fair enough; everyone is entitled to a good rant.

Though an email on 29th July saying your licence was on its way.... ;)

OK, fair enough; everyone is entitled to a good rant.

Though an email on 29th July saying your licence was on its way.... ;)

so is christmas

so is christmas
    Whooosh! :D

Edit: OK, maybe that was a bit obscure. What I meant is that the expiry date of the old licence was 31st July, so a licence issued on the 29th?

Oh never mind :)

• Advertisement

Edit: OK, maybe that was a bit obscure. What I meant is that the expiry date of the old licence was 31st July, so a licence issued on the 29th?

This was for a new license, not a renewal, for a Sako 75 in .308. Applied before April - All promises but no license.

This was for a new license, not a renewal, for a Sako 75 in .308. Applied before April - All promises but no license.

clive ,your starting from stratch . sorry .

they have to reply with in 3 months now. not much good i know.

have a nite off lad it will do you good

OK, I'll start again ;)

I was hardly likely to think that a licence applied for on or before April was a renewal.

But I was interrupting your rant, so carry on :D

JW & RRPC

Rant now over
    end of story.

I was at the range today and met friends and made some more, a good day.

I had the 22lr out on the 100m and just dialed in 24 clicks, zero @50m and was bang on the button. That makes up for a lot of bad days.

cheers to all.

CJ

JW & RRPC

Rant now over
    end of story.

I was at the range today and met friends and made some more, a good day.

I had the 22lr out on the 100m and just dialed in 24 clicks, zero @50m and was bang on the button. That makes up for a lot of bad days.

cheers to all.

CJ
    And that's what it really is all about.

Cheers Clive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Aint that a fact! Was out yesterday, and for once consistently started getting hits where they should be on the skittles .
    [NOTE We need new ones again at Midlands.:)]
    Nice to to meet another face from Boards here as well,and to compare and check out their most intresting kit;)
    A day on the range deffo has alot going for stress relif.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ......[NOTE We need new ones again at Midlands.:)]

Ah lads, for gods sake take it easy on them. Its not easy begging, scamming and stealing them. Could you not use blanks and have someone with a big stick knocking them over.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Ah lads, for gods sake take it easy on them. Its not easy begging, scamming and stealing them. Could you not use blanks and have someone with a big stick knocking them over.:D
    Ah yes, just like the early electronic target. The lad at the firing point shouts 'bang' and another lad at the target line shouts 'bull' :D

• Advertisement

I like it rrpc, i would be looking at 9 skittles, 9 shots in like 5 seconds ( including mag change). :D:D

Advertisement