Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone any luck on their new licenses yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

3 issued in my area according to FO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

kakashka wrote: »

how are they going to pay for them as not a po in the country has a clue yet.

or has a format for a licence been given yet ,glad to have ya back with all the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Also, did he/she mention what type(s) of sporting firearms were licensed?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nice to to meet another face from Boards here as well,and to compare and check out their most intresting kit;)

Probably took all night to clean the drool off some of that kit. :D:D

jwshooter wrote: »

how are they going to pay for them as not a po in the country has a clue yet.

or has a format for a licence been given yet ,glad to have ya back with all the facts.
    no idea no idea no idea..her exact words,3 issued and she said she didnt even see them herself.her first time dealing with gun stuff and said she was thrown in to it as none of the more senior members would touch it,takes her 30min to log each app and over 750 in her area,although i know not all at same time.all from the ladys own mouth.
    Your the lad with the facts JWya

• Advertisement

G17 wrote: »
    Also, did he/she mention what type(s) of sporting firearms were licensed?
    No G17 and i never thought to ask to be honest,she also mentioned that 3 handguns had been licenced but wont be renewed regardless as nobody can have a valid reason to have one,i'm sure one of them is for target use as i know of the owner,i thought valid target pistol owners were allowed to re licence??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronan nee

any application you are sending into the station now or in the future, be it for a new firearm or for one you already have is a NEW application and not a renewal.
    The firearm you now have and on which you got an extention to whatever date, you are applying to keep it, not renew it.
    This is the info coming from NARGC since the time the new licence system came into effect.
    the word "renewal" is gone!!!

regards ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

i'm sure one of them is for target use as i know of the owner,i thought valid target pistol owners were allowed to re licence??

They all have to be for target use - there is no other way to license a handgun.

If they were not used for target shooting then they have not much hope of retaining them as they did not do what they said on their license application last time around.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

heard from a good source today that a lot of fierarms licenses are ready and good to go. all they are waiting for is an post to get their sytem up and running to take payments and the letters are ready to issue in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ronan nee wrote: »
    any application you are sending into the station now or in the future, be it for a new firearm or for one you already have is a NEW application and not a renewal.
    The firearm you now have and on which you got an extention to whatever date, you are applying to keep it, not renew it.
    This is the info coming from NARGC since the time the new licence system came into effect.

regards ronan
    Really ????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Somebody should tell the Firearms Act, it's got a whole section called 'Renewal of firearm certificate'.
    9.—(1) The Commissioner may from time to time renew a firearm certificate granted by him or her.
    (2) The superintendent of the district where the holder of such a certificate resides may from time to time renew such a certificate.
    (3) The superintendent of a district where the holder of a firearm certificate resides may from time to time renew a firearm certificate which has been granted by a superintendent.
    (4) An inspector or sergeant of the Garda Síochána in the district where the holder of a firearm certificate issued by a superintendent resides may from time to time renew the certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1 rrpc. From the FCA1, section 3.1:
    Record details of your existing firearm if you are merely renewing the certificate for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rrpc wrote: »
    Really ????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Somebody should tell the Firearms Act, it's got a whole section called 'Renewal of firearm certificate'.
    ezridax wrote: »
    +1 rrpc. From the FCA1, section 3.1:

As usual the right hand don't know what the left hand is doing.

clivej wrote: »
    As usual the right hand don't know what the left hand is doing.
    Not sure I follow you Clive :confused:

It was a poster who said there were no renewals, the firearms act and the form say otherwise.

as I said this was info recieved from NARGC Executive member. all applications are been treated as new applications is what I have been told.

excuse how I wrote my first post, as I read it I could have put it another way

regards r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Dermot Ahern Announces Introduction%htt

Radically tightened licensing procedures for the renewal of currently licensed guns;

thats what it says, did someone say, application renewal form a while back.
    the fo reckons the local supers follow the guidelines as gospel.:o

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Dermot Ahern Announces Introduction%htt

Radically tightened licensing procedures for the renewal of currently licensed guns;

thats what it says, did someone say, application renewal form a while back.
    the fo reckons the local supers follow the guidelines as gospel.:o

exactly the point I wanted to get across but in a around the universe sort of fashion

thanks pj

Might as well post this here. Got a text from a mate of mine. He works night shift and got home at half ten. 3 letters in the post box. The 3 of them are extensions to his extensions. He is in the 31st October club. The extensions are for mid december. He got his receipt letters a couple of weeks ago saying the Gardai received his applications and a decision would be given within 3 months but no later than mid december. Seems they are issuing extensions to cover the decision making time.

I'll give more info when i have it but if anyone else gets extensions of extensions let us know. I watching the mailbox for the next week.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

ezridax wrote: »
    Might as well post this here. Got a text from a mate of mine. He works night shift and got home at half ten. 3 letters in the post box. The 3 of them are extensions to his extensions. He is in the 31st October club.

What type of firearms was your mate applying for?

None of them restricted. Rifles and shotgun but he is waiting on his shotgun one. Said he should have it tommorrow as it wasn't with the 3 for his rifles. I thought this a bit odd but he got his first extensions in the same way rifles first then shotgun. Could just be a post office thing. Has not got a pistol but i thought i'd post about the extensions of the extensions. I know of other lads that have extensions of extensions but i don't think any of them were in the 31st October group (anyone????).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

as I said this was info recieved from NARGC Executive member. all applications are been treated as new applications is what I have been told.

excuse how I wrote my first post, as I read it I could have put it another way

regards r

It's a matter of semantics.
    The FCA1 form was designed to do SEVERAL jobs. That is why there are 9 pages and the resulting confusion. My understanding is that ALL applications currently are being regarded as new applications which is why several will/are losing their firearms as part of the Govt. policy. It is clear that regardless of what you had in the past you are not renewing your current licence, but applying for one.

The other purposes of FCA1 are to (1) process applications for a new firearm, (2) process applications for substitution of a firearm (3) process - in three years time - applications for renewal of a firearm licence

Tomorrow makes it one month since I lodged my FCA1's, not even an acknowledgement received yet.
    Rs
    P.

• Advertisement

pedroeibar wrote: »
    It's a matter of semantics.
    The FCA1 form was designed to do SEVERAL jobs. That is why there are 9 pages and the resulting confusion. My understanding is that ALL applications currently are being regarded as new applications which is why several will/are losing their firearms as part of the Govt. policy. It is clear that regardless of what you had in the past you are not renewing your current licence, but applying for one.

The other purposes of FCA1 are to (1) process applications for a new firearm, (2) process applications for substitution of a firearm (3) process - in three years time - applications for renewal of a firearm licence

Tomorrow makes it one month since I lodged my FCA1's, not even an acknowledgement received yet.
    Rs
    P.

yes, thats what I was told. In a sense, you could lose what you have.

ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i got my letyter this morning sayiong my firearm application is now up for review blah blah blah, a decision should be before 8/01/2010.

at least im on the system now. is a second shotgun and so i dont think there should be any real trouble. cant wait to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Rs
    P.

My 1 month anniversary is today. Lodged my FCA1 on the 14th September. Not even an acknowledgement letter yet. 10 working days my arse as Jim Royle would say!! I'd say the whole thing is fu**ed. I saw a post by somebody that 3 licenses have been issued somewhere, I'd believe that when I see it. Sure it's only been 2 and a half months since the act came into force!!! the cops will need at least a year to sort it all out. We should all be looking forward to our xmas presents of a license next year! as in xmas 2010. Extension letters will be flyin around like confetti at a wedding.
    Thats my 2 cents worth
    A Country Voice

yes, thats what I was told. In a sense, you could lose what you have.

ronan

To elaborate on previous posts, i'm right and you're right. The form is an application form and the process is an application, but alot of the forms state renewals on them for existing licence holders and a new application for those without a licence. Seems somewhat redundant as a new licence application is just that a new application.

You are right from the point that no firearm licence be it new or renewal is a given but the majority of lads should have no problem getting a licence back for a firearm they have already held. Its the firearms that are deemed "tactical style" or "more dangerous" (pistols, pistol grip shotguns, etc) that the Gardai are going to scrutinise and the new criminal justice act and the "good reason" clause will give them the ability to limit the spread of these firearms. So as to not seem to be targeting a particular type of firearm they cover all firearms. The same applies to moderators and other accessories that where not previously tightly regulated. they can be now.

I bet ya though that 90% of lads with standard shotguns, rifles etc that do not fall into the "more dangerous" category or are not looking for say a .338 for plinking rabbits (you get my drift about "good reason") will have no trouble getting their firearms licences back or a licence if a first time application.

PS. My 2 month anniversary yesterday. Still no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Got my acknowledgement letter letter today for a new rifle saying i should have word back by 16/12/2009 also got my authorisation letter to use a sound moderator.

So i suppose some progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moose112 wrote: »
    Got my acknowledgement letter letter today for a new rifle saying i should have word back by 16/12/2009 also got my authorisation letter to use a sound moderator.

So i suppose some progress

That's interesting. Had you a moderator before or was it your first time applying for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

No never had one before

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I borught in mine on the 25th of Sept.

Looks like renewal is getting the priority...Maybe by the time I hear back from them it would be some time next year. I hope the application won't get lost in the mean time...

Though it would be nice at least to get a letter to say 'we got it'...

I only brought mine in on Monday :eek:

Too much time spent doing other stuff and a rural station that never seemed to be manned when I was going past conspired to delay my applications until then. It's a twelve mile round trip, so not something you do as a matter of course, but in any event had a good chat with the Sarge (who's a really decent and intelligent man) and a chuckle about the whole new operation.

That one rural station in the middle of a small village in Wicklow (well known for a TV series; that'll keep you guessing ;)) had about twenty licences up for the 31st October (I was shown the list).

So pretty big numbers hitting the Super's desk; and presumably the Chief's as well.

I'm not particularly fussed if the deadline is missed, I've a plan B should my extension run out before I get a licence issued.

And I have to do it all again in November because I've another licence expiring in January. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Just had my gunsafe inspected and firearms serial numbers checked by the FO, he was happy enough ...everyone in our area are to recieve inspections 2 of my mates were checked yesterday as well:eek:

Advertisement