Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill an hour and a half on a Tuesday evening???

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

I've to hang around town this evening from half 5 to 7, normally I'd just stroll about but it's so beastly outside I'd rather be under cover. All the museums/galleries seem to close at 5. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've to hang around town this evening from half 5 to 7, normally I'd just stroll about but it's so beastly outside I'd rather be under cover. All the museums/galleries seem to close at 5. Any suggestions?

Jesus.man..what a stupid question....THE PUB...THE PUB!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Go and look at the trains at Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Go into one of the big bookshops like Waterstones or Hodges Figgis and have a wander around looking at all the books. It's a great way to pass the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Go to an internet cafe and surf boards of course!

Take a walk around HMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

Waterstones (Jervis St and Dawson St) are open til 7pm on weekdays. I think Hodges Figgis (also Dawson St) has similar opening hours. They encourage browsing, and you can definitely kill an hour and a half in a book shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

stephens green is open till 7 aswell, go in for walk round ther, or as someone else suggested, HMV or any book store

What about sitting down for a meal in the Kylemore Cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Maybe see a movie in Cineworld or savoy if one starts at 5pm and finishes in time.

Walk from the GPO to Liberty Hall and back again. Take a ride on a Dublin Bus if it takes your fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Relax with a nice cup of tea in the Library bar in central hotel,They have papers and books to read.
    Its one of the few places that lets you sit and relax for as long as you want.

Jog up and down Henry Street. If you are fit enough after that you could go for a jog up to the top floor of Liberty Hall and back down. Afterwards go for a burger in Supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jaysus, If they're the best suggestions we can make lads it just confirms my belief that the city centre is basically a kip. If anyone can wonder around Hodges Figges for over an hour fair play, its just stuffy to me and has no seats. Cafe Kylemore? I haven't darkened it's doors in years but eating lousy food that's been warmed under lights all day in the company of brass monkeys is no way to pass the time.

I often find meself having to kill an hour around town at that time, coffee shop and mobile interent is the best i can do tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Come up to my gaff and play xbox with me. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Get a bag o cans and head to the boardwalk..you'll soon meet people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Or talk to some homeless chappies or get a funky new hairstyle or get a pen and paper and walk down a street. At the end of every street, write down what you see and post the best few up here in this thread.

Travel around Parnell Square and visit Mountjoy. Go for a swim. Touch the Spire. Go into a Polish foodstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Bambi wrote: »
    I often find meself having to kill an hour around town at that time, coffee shop and mobile interent is the best i can do tbh.

Is that all you can come up with? Try leaving the pc at home, go for a wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

What did you do OP :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if I'd asked the same question about London or Barcelona or another European capital I'd have got some more interesting answers. In the end a friend of mine was in the same situation so we went for a coffee in Bewleys on Grafton St. It's a bit of a shock that in our capital city the only things that were in any way appealing were hanging around a bookshop or going for a cup of tea!

• Advertisement

I wonder if I'd asked the same question about London or Barcelona or another European capital I'd have got some more interesting answers.

Would the museums and galleries have opened late for you in any other European capital? So you caught up with a friend for coffee in Bewleys? Sounds nice, did you not like it? Were the pubs not good enough? What about the hundreds of early birds on offer? The mad cheap Asian quarter?

I dunno, two hours to kill in town and your at a loss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lightening wrote: »
    Would the museums and galleries have opened late for you in any other European capital? So you caught up with a friend for coffee in Bewleys? Sounds nice, did you not like it? Were the pubs not good enough? What about the hundreds of early birds on offer? The mad cheap Asian quarter?

I dunno, two hours to kill in town and your at a loss...

I know Dublin is great and you feel you have to defend the city a lot here, but there is a good point there the poster made. Everything there is to do after 5 involves spending money in either a pub or restaurant, or go shopping. What if you are not hungry or don't want to drink? I think there are a lack of facilities in the city to entertain people after dark.

Sure there's plenty of entertainment if you're not thirsty. Go for a jig around Capel Street. Visit the Happy ring House or look at the Statue of James Joyce. See the trains at Heuston Station.

WindSock wrote: »
    I know Dublin is great and you feel you have to defend the city a lot here, but there is a good point there the poster made. Everything there is to do after 5 involves spending money in either a pub or restaurant, or go shopping. What if you are not hungry or don't want to drink? I think there are a lack of facilities in the city to entertain people after dark.

I know, it's some sort of addiction hobby horse now! I enjoy it though, I have ray-ban, oakley and police rose tinted glasses for fooks sake.

Don't worry, I'm not a lunatic, the city can annoy me too!

But, after five it's the same everywhere in bad weather, it's coffee, a bar, a restaurant or something similar. I haven't been in many cities that offer free indoor entertainment. If the weather is good however, Dublin has more than the average stunning parks around the city for a walk or a sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

The Library Bar (as already suggested) is a great one It's in The Central Hotel on Exchequer st. It is really cosy and has fires lit on cold evenings. You can literally buy one drink/coffee and sit there for hours with no one bothering you. My roller derby girls meet there some Sunday evening ane we buy a drink each and are in there for 2 - 3 hours. Can't beat it if you have a few hours to kill in Dublin.

I do agree though that it is tough to find something to do in Dublin after 6pm. :(

Have a few schmokes down by the Liffey with the Romanians. Camp out on Parnell Square...

Advertisement