Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Servicing - Rented property

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I live in a rented property and there was something I was wondering about:

We haven't had our gas boiler serviced in a long time, is it up to the landlord or the tenent to pay for this to be done?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally it would be a tenants duty to ensure that a property is kept in a reasonable state of repair. I would understand this to mean- periodically servicing the boiler, testing the smoke alarms- doing the things that come up every so often. I would however suggest to the landlord perhaps that you'd be willing to make a contribution towards the servicing which you'd deduct from the following months rent (with his/her approval of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Okay ta. I had Bord Gais on the phone looking to service my boiler and I wasn't sure who has to pay for it. I might have to put off Bord Gais for a few months.

Thanks again.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later- there will be a rush on, coming up to the winter.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'd get it done sooner rather than later- there will be a rush on, coming up to the winter.

Thanks, I would if I could really afford to but I can't :o It costs quite a bit and I have bills coming out of my ears :eek:

angel01 wrote: »
    Thanks, I would if I could really afford to but I can't :o It costs quite a bit and I have bills coming out of my ears :eek:

What are you being quoted?
    I found a decent guy in the back of a local newsletter who was brilliant- I think he charged around EUR200 (not cheap- but he actually cleaned out the boiler properly and tested everything, and replaced a thermostat- while the Bord Gais guy the previous year was an imbecile who I was cleaning up after for most of the following week.

You're not obliged to go with a Bord Gais guy- just an approved technician (and do ask to see their credentials).

S.

• Advertisement

What are you being quoted?
    I found a decent guy in the back of a local newsletter who was brilliant- I think he charged around EUR200 (not cheap- but he actually cleaned out the boiler properly and tested everything, and replaced a thermostat- while the Bord Gais guy the previous year was an imbecile who I was cleaning up after for most of the following week.

You're not obliged to go with a Bord Gais guy- just an approved technician (and do ask to see their credentials).

S.

They didn't give me a choice really. They just said I was due a service and basically what date did I want the service on. they told me they don't do services on weekends (when I would need it done) they said I wouldn't pay on the day and would be billed a few weeks after.. I think they told me 120 or so.. definately over 100 Euro anyhow.

The guy I used- agreed to do it at 7PM in the evening, on an evening of my choice, and was brilliant. What part of Dublin are you in?

The guy I used- agreed to do it at 7PM in the evening, on an evening of my choice, and was brilliant. What part of Dublin are you in?

Sounds good. I am in Dublin 15.

angel01 wrote: »
    Sounds good. I am in Dublin 15.

The guy I know is in Lucan- I'll PM you his details- maybe it might suit you- can't hurt to give him a ring one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

The Gas Man in Cabra charges €80 for a gas boiler service. I have had them out three times so far- they are always friendly and turn up when they say they will. The last guy also helped me balance my radiators.
    I rang around a couple of other gas boiler service companies and they all came in around the €80-€90 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

OP - check with your Landlord because alot of the time boiler service is paid for by Landlord as is chimney sweeping etc No harm in enquiring before you get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

My landlord asks the tenants to arrange the servicing of the boiler, but they pay for it (i.e. it gets put on the bill, we pay it but take it out of the rent). I thought a boiler was supposed to be recently serviced before a tenant moved in and that the landlord should arrange to have it regularly serviced if a tenant was there for more than a year? Either way, ask your landlord before you have it serviced. They may be willing to pay for/contribute towards the servicing of the boiler.

Advertisement