Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT Type 3

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've got 3g mobile broadband (with 3 network), which supposedly runs at 3.6mbps HSDPA. I use this with my ps3 by means of an ethernet cable and leaving my laptop running while I'm playing online playstation. My problem is that my NAT type is 3 and this stops me from playing Fifa or hosting COD matches. I posted in the PS3 troubleshooting section but got no replies. The videos on youtube all show you how to improve NAT type on a wirless connection but not one shows how to do this with mobile broadband...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
    Jackobyte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

where i work have the three dongles for our reps, one of the lads here bought a huawei D100 wifi router3-wifi-router.jpg, to make it work with his ps3 (COD4 etc), he says it can be a bit laggy but works fine. Dongle plugs into usb slot in it and it gives you all the proper router settings and functionality to change NAT settings and the like.

they cost from €100 from three stores and could be a work around for your issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ya but I'm 15 so I don't have €100...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

gerkeo wrote: »
    I don't have trouble connecting my ps3 to the internet. I can play some games online but to play certain games you require a better NAT type which is where my problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Jacko, those "nat type" numbers are PS3 terms. I'd guess that the problem is that your PS3 can't accept incoming connections, which would either be done by UPnP (where the PS3 would ask the router to forward it information coming to specific port numbers) or by manually forwarding some/all port numbers to your PS3. Forwarding everything to your PS3 is probably going to be the easiest thing to do, but the configuration would depend on the method you're using to share the 3G card on your network.

• Advertisement

The connection is shared using the steps shown in reply 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Jacko,

I am running the same system as im waiting for landline bb. you can not achieve anything but nat3 on "most" 3g devices. I run a router aswell, Ive done all the port forwarding but it counts for nout. Basically 3g runs on a type of internet service that is seen as, spam for all the world. I cant remember what the term is but basically its seen as an unsafe connection. You can ask for your 3g connection to be taken off the the restricted service but Ive heard that vodafone are one of the few that does this. I cant ask three to do it for me as is complicated. Im too lazy to look it up but ive posted about this before!!!

If your on a three account though I think your stuck with Nat3, sorry.. Im having awful lag problems, i hope once i get the 7mb i might have a fight chance at COD again!!

FusionNet wrote: »
    You can ask for your 3g connection to be taken off the the restricted service but Ive heard that vodafone are one of the few that does this. I cant ask three to do it for me as is complicated.
    What does being taken off the restricted service mean? It probably would be too complicated cause most of threes customer care officials learnt what they know about computers and mobile bb off the back of a cereal box.
    If your on a three account though I think your stuck with Nat3, sorry.. Im having awful lag problems, i hope once i get the 7mb i might have a fight chance at COD again!!
    Are you getting the 7mb with 3 and just upgrading your modem or are you going to eircom?

The only problem about moving to Vodafone mobile broadband to allow myself be taken off the restricted network service is the dl limit... Its like 5gb which i'd use no bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Might not make any difference...it's 7Mb for the cell site not 7Mb per subscriber so that bandwidth has to be shared between everyone using HSDPA in that cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Last I heard, 3 used NAT at the edge of their network for all their mobile connections - every customer in the country originated from one of a very small number of public ip addresses (possibly even just the 1 address?), with each customer modem only ever getting a privately routable address.

If this is still the case you'd need to get 3 to move you out of this walled garden, you won't be able to sort it out on your end.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote: »
    Last I heard, 3 used NAT at the edge of their network for all their mobile connections - every customer in the country originated from one of a very small number of public ip addresses (possibly even just the 1 address?), with each customer modem only ever getting a privately routable address.

If this is still the case you'd need to get 3 to move you out of this walled garden, you won't be able to sort it out on your end.

Do you know if this can be done and what exactly should I say to 3 customer care? I don't really understand what I need them to do for me?

Ok just in reply to re-posts. Yes Rmacm, your right about the 7mb and contention, when I said 7mb, I meant Im finally biting the bullet and getting a landline :(

Now in regards to the restricted network.Vodafone will allow you off the restrcted IP if requested but I know three wont know what your on about. Also remember that even if your get off the restricted IP you will still suffer lag and get shot to s*** on COD anyways. Have you any wimax wireless options where you are?

i actually don't suffer from lag at all on COD. i just can't host games cause of my NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

gerkeo wrote: »

Try port forwarding in ICS, remmeber you need to forward to the PS3's IP.
    http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1134525903
    If it doesn't work then your provider is probably not giving you a real internet IP.

Thanks, bricks. This is the most promising link so far and I'll try it tomorrow. I've been kicked off my PS3 for the night...

Didn't work...:(

Jacko,

As explained before nothing will work, it doesnt matter if you have all the correct port forwarding as your on a restricted IP, as a previous poster explained as well. Its worth ringing up three and asking for a call back from a senior technician, explain you have a complicated question and you know that the regular team wont have the answer. I would have done this already but I cant due to the set up i have...

Ok thanks. Next time I've got an hour on my hands I'll do this. What exactly should I say to the guy?

Just say you want to use your broadband for gaming but from your research you seem to be on a restricted IP range with Three mobile. You have heard other providers like Vodafone can remove someone from this so you'd like three to also do this other wise you'll have to move. Also say you heard they can do it on the three network in aus..!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Moriarty wrote: »

Moriarty, I think your correct here. 3 assign me addresses in the range 10.206.190.XX which is non routable. I have sent many e-mails and much time on the phone but as yet have failed to get a straight answer, 'can you assign me a routable IP address, static or dynamic ? ' . It seems crazy that the state should be providing large sums of money to a provider whom will not provide what comes close to a proper BB service. Service has improved over the last 6 months and its decent enough but remains along way off a wired connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chopperreid

Just say you want to use your broadband for gaming but from your research you seem to be on a restricted IP range with Three mobile. You have heard other providers like Vodafone can remove someone from this so you'd like three to also do this other wise you'll have to move. Also say you heard they can do it on the three network in aus..!

I'm on hold waiting for a senior tech as i type but not holding my breath that they will know what i talking about.Would just like to thanks for the info.Don't ring tech support got to customer service and don't let them fob you off telling you to go ring 1913 and choosing tech there.I phoned 1913 and chose option 6 all other queries means your put on hold but i would rather wait than talk to some idiot who doesn't know what NAT is.

I'm on hold waiting for a senior tech as i type but not holding my breath that they will know what i talking about.Would just like to thanks for the info.Don't ring tech support got to customer service and don't let them fob you off telling you to go ring 1913 and choosing tech there.I phoned 1913 and chose option 6 all other queries means your put on hold but i would rather wait than talk to some idiot who doesn't know what NAT is.
    Did that work for you?

I'm gone from 3 now anyway and now have NAT 2 and can host.

funny enough he had to go find out for me and am now waiting for a call back.How did you get sorted mate?

funny enough he had to go find out for me and am now waiting for a call back.How did you get sorted mate?
    I just left 3 and new broadband was automatically Nat 2.

who did you go with and is it wired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah unfort 3G can be great out in the country where not many might be using it, but crap in city. The advertising can be a bit miss leading to the average joe. Up to 7.2Mb, yeah, if you are the only one on the Cell and even at that you mightn't get it :)

well it's been confirmed three broadband is not actual broadband and cannot be taken out of Nat3 so don't bother trying.

Advertisement