Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTLDR missing

• 06-10-2009 4:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When I run Ipreb on usb key it makes it bootable and installs the files boot when I boot the pc I get this error. Ive disconnected the hard drive and the USB drive is listed as a bootable device.

Any ideas why its coming up with this error?

Could it be the usb key itself? Its a PNY Attache 4GB

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

It means the NTLDR file (required to boot windows) is missing from the root directory of the drive. If you go to your local drive and make hidden files visible, you should see the NTLDR file there. You should be able to copy it from here or from the recovery console in the windows installation disc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Iprep makes a bootable disk out of the USB though, so do I need to copy those files over to the USB also for it to work?

It probably makes the disc bootable but doesn't add NTLDR as it's a windows only thing. It's like grub on linux systems. So you'll have to add it yourself

Ok tried that but no joy. Anyone else thats uses I prep etc got any ideas?

Would the type of Bios on the pc or if its a RAID setup have any effect on this or is it just down to the USB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Unfortunately this error has a half a dozen meanings and is not really that clean cut.

There have been instances where I have experienced on one computer with a bootable memory key and then not on another with the same key.

Unfortunately I never discovered why it would not boot on these computers however the computer involved does have an affect.

Ok thats annoying, so the only way to be able to do what I want to do is to get a different PC for that purpose?? Even then how do I know that pc will work when booting off the USB and not give the same error :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont think that has anything to do with iprep

My iprep stick doesnt have the ntldr file on it anyways

When you are trying to boot from the memory stick are you plugging out your hard drive, or disabling booting from it or something?

Im making the USB drive the first item in the boot list but I also disconnect the cd drive and hard drive from the motherboard, it goes throught the first steps of the normal boot bios then comes up with the error.

Is it possible to run the iprep boot up off a cd rom instead of a usb or does it need to be able to save data back to the usb during the flash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

try to use something different like 360 modification disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah that would make sense so.

That error is when your pc can not find that file on your hard drive, if you have the usb as your first boot priority and it gets to the NTLDR its already bypassed trying to boot from the usb

in my old pc the iprep usb stick was considered "removable" in the boot priority window, my newer one it is considered a hard drive "usb2.0" and i have too move it to the top of the hard drive list, then make sure it is booting from the hard drive(which by default it will be, or else your computer wouldnt be loading windows)

Are you trying to set yourself up for a modding business, or are you trying to mod your own? (dont worry if you answer the first one im sure the answers wont dry up!). If its the second one, what drive do you have?

I wouldn't disconnect the hard drive oand cd player. The boot.ini file (The first thing to be called when the usb drive boots) might say to look for the NTLDR file in drive F: (Which was the usb drive). But when you disconnect the hd and the cd player, the usb drive might become drive C or D. So when the system looks for F:\NTLDR, it can't find it and throws the error

Yeah that would make sense so.

That error is when your pc can not find that file on your hard drive, if you have the usb as your first boot priority and it gets to the NTLDR its already bypassed trying to boot from the usb

in my old pc the iprep usb stick was considered "removable" in the boot priority window, my newer one it is considered a hard drive "usb2.0" and i have too move it to the top of the hard drive list, then make sure it is booting from the hard drive(which by default it will be, or else your computer wouldnt be loading windows)

Are you trying to set yourself up for a modding business, or are you trying to mod your own? (dont worry if you answer the first one im sure the answers wont dry up!). If its the second one, what drive do you have?

Im planning to mod my own and Ive a mates to do aswell. I have the Benq drive so I can try use the 360 mod disc as pointed out above but was hoping to setup Iprep etc and have it working as I had looked into it.

I had gone into the boot menu and set the usb to be the first device to load ahead of any of the other drives, id plugged the other drives out also as I read in places thats what you can do also to make sure it books from the USB first but no matter what different ways i try im getting the same error each time.

Ok progress..i have it loading now from the usb but have come to another stumbling block.

Im following a tutorial here: http://www.xbox360iso.com/showthread.php?t=72064 ( you have to sign up so ill put the instructions in code tags below)

Basically i get to the stage where it says:

Now a list of devices will be listed, select the port of your xbox 360 DVD Drive and press enter.

But the list that comes up doesnt contain the port of my xbox 360 drive its looking for an ADAPTI drive and select from the list but there are 3 options and none of them are it even though its recognised the drive up to this point...

any suggestions???
    Now make sure that the Xbox 360 is off but both the power cable and 
    AV cable are connected.
    Now type "[COLOR=seagreen][B]dosflash[/B][/COLOR]".
    Now turn on your Xbox 360 by using your faceplate and then press enter on the keyboard.

If you are asked if you want to send magic keys type "[COLOR=seagreen][B]N[/B][/COLOR]" and press enter on your keyboard.

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]If you are asked about sending the magic keys it will then give you instructions and ask you if you are ready - Ignore the instructions, type "[COLOR=seagreen][B]N[/B][/COLOR]" on the keyboard and press enter.[/B][/COLOR]

Dosflash will automatically detect your Xbox 360 and a message will say:

MTK Vendor Intro failed on port:
    If you choose to rend the command you should turn the drive off and on after you have pressed "Yes".
    Do you want to resend the command until the drive responds (Y/N)?

Type "[COLOR=seagreen][B]Y[/B][/COLOR]" and press enter.

A message will say.
    [B][COLOR=darkorchid]Status: 0x51[/COLOR][/B]

Turn off the drive and wait 10 seconds.

A message will say.
    [B][COLOR=darkorchid]Status: 0xD1[/COLOR][/B]

Now turn the Xbox 360 back on by using your Xbox 360 faceplate.

Now a list of devices will be listed, select the port of your xbox 360 DVD Drive and press enter.  ----this is the bit working out right

Now you will be asked what you want to do to the drive. [R] read, [W] write or [E] erase.
    Type "[B][COLOR=seagreen]r[/COLOR][/B]" and press enter.

Ended up going and using Jungle Flasher which seems to have done the trick.

Put a game in and it loaded up so I presume that it was a success and theres nothing else I need to check to be sure all is ok with the flash??

Advertisement