Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheres all the money coming from??

• 06-10-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Was told last night there is 60 pubs in this town... It got me thinking when i was in fas today looking for work, that how come so many of us are unemployed in this town yet another pub is due to open on friday... Where are people getting all this money to open pubs in this town??

I not really complaining because i do have a social life in this town just wondering what other people think.

And its not just pubs, the amount of restaurants and cafes is just turning into a joke at the min.... Does anyone else agree or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

is there really 60pubs in town?does that include the hotel pubs also?if it really is that amount its nuts!could you name them all(messing).after getting around 30 cant think of the other 30.either way alot of them are small locals that are family owned/run and dont really have to pay a wage out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dole payments and other welfare benefits are very generous for those living with parents that have little or no commitments leaving spare cash for beers.

Wait until social welfare is centralised in Europe and rates harmonised with other countries like Spain and Greece where it hardly exists. You won't see as many pubs open particuarly on dole day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There used to be a whole lot more, the amount of pubs that have closed in the last 10 years that used to be popular and good drinking haunts is amazing, off the top of my head Dillingers/Porterstall, Henry J's, Derrynane/Paudie Macs, Woody's/Branagan's, Darcy's Corner, Pauline's, just to name a few off the top of my head.

People will always find money for drink, a few years back people didn't drink much at home, now they do, expect to see a lot more pubs closing I would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

The only place making a decent stab at culturizing town is Rowan tree. You go in, have your piece of food with a glass of wine or bottle of beer, sit out on the water front and have a nice relaxing conversation.

Go to the "traditional" places, where you get bouncers, racket music, cold staff and townie football boozers falling about the shop.

Pubs are making the money on a legal drug. In a economic slump people turn to drugs to dampen their woes. Thats why you have a increase in herion use across the country. Pubs are legalized drug dealers and in these times like I said, drug demand has skyrocketed.

By the way, the real reason why the yanks are in Afghanistan is to make sure the supply of herion to the West is maintained. After the Taliban were ousted, world herion supplies jumped many fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Thanks for putting the topic of pubs in Ennis into proper context with America's drug networks in Afganistan. Haha.

You don't actually get much dole money if you live with your parents. You get something like 50 quid a week as opposed to 150 or 200 plus rent allowance if you live outside. The current system really supports you moving out of your house and becoming solely dependent on the government. I'm pretty sure I don't even qualify at all because I live at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Name them? Now your talkin'

Lets count them but i wont know them all

old ground
    lavas
    brogans
    diamond
    temple gate

ohallorans
    fa fa's
    merchants bar
    lucas's
    one or two small ones, dont know the names
    lucas's
    charlies
    baron mcs

brewery
    knoxs
    all bar one
    queens/queens bar
    lifford
    kearnys
    steeles
    okeeffes
    copper jug
    micky kerins

patricks
    usualplace

auburn lodge
    west county
    one beside west county with the pitch and putt

must be missing loads, please help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Forgot

The library bar
    brandons

and cant believe i forgot odeas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of restaurants are licensed as well to serve drink which would bring the numbers up as well.

Coco,
    Town Hall,
    Pizza Place where Henry J's was
    Silvery House.
    Prince Dragon
    Sicillian
    Thai Place
    Other Thai Place
    O'Connor's
    Season's 52 (might be included in Charlie's)
    Halpino's (again might be included in O'Halloran's)
    Knox's (see above)
    Prince Dragon
    Indian Place beside Youth Centre
    Indian Place beside Friary

Pub's that might have been missed.
    Baker's St.
    Maloney's
    Paddy Quinn's
    Ciaran's
    Railway Bar (Fawl's)

I think I'm missing a few restaurants, but I'm including all places where you can get a drink, not just a glass of wine but a beer (there's a difference between a wine license and a beer license I think), I think all premises in the market have a "fair" license where they can serve drink whenever a market is taking place, that doesn't count ;)

Might as well make up 1 list :)

1 old ground
    2 lavas
    3 brogans
    4 diamond
    5 temple gate
    6 ohallorans
    7 fa fa's
    8 merchants bar
    9 one or two small ones, dont know the names
    10 lucas's
    11 charlies
    12 baron mcs
    13 brewery
    14 knoxs
    15 all bar one
    16 queens/queens bar
    17 lifford
    18 kearnys
    19 steeles
    20 okeeffes
    21 copper jug
    22 micky kerins
    23 patricks
    24 usualplace
    25 auburn lodge
    26 west county
    27 one beside west county with the pitch and putt (Halfway)
    28 The library bar
    29 brandons
    30 Coco,
    31 Town Hall,
    32 Pizza Place where Henry J's was
    33 Silvery House.
    34 Prince Dragon
    35 Sicillian
    36 Thai Place
    37 Other Thai Place
    38 O'Connor's
    39 Season's 52 (might be included in Charlie's)
    40 Halpino's (again might be included in O'Halloran's)
    41 Knox's (see above)
    42 Prince Dragon
    43 Indian Place beside Youth Centre
    44 Indian Place beside Friary
    45 Baker's St.
    46 Maloney's
    47 Paddy Quinn's
    48 Ciaran's
    49 Railway Bar (Fawl's)

52 Gleeson's
    53 Almer's Rest
    54 O'Dea's

55 Cois na hAbhna
    56 Auburn Lodge
    57 Woodstock GC
    58 Woodstock Hotel
    59 Ennis GC
    60 Eire Og Clubhouse
    61 Cloister

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Clareman wrote: »
    A lot of restaurants are licensed as well to serve drink which would bring the numbers up as well.

Coco,
    Town Hall,
    Pizza Place where Henry J's was
    Silvery House.
    Prince Dragon
    Sicillian
    Thai Place
    Other Thai Place
    O'Connor's
    Season's 52 (might be included in Charlie's)
    Halpino's (again might be included in O'Halloran's)
    Knox's (see above)
    Prince Dragon
    Indian Place beside Youth Centre
    Indian Place beside Friary

Pub's that might have been missed.
    Baker's St.
    Maloney's
    Paddy Quinn's
    Ciaran's
    Railway Bar (Fawl's)

You forgot the 2 biggest pubs of all

Aldi
    Lidl

Serious amount of stuff selling in those two :D

Rujib1 wrote: »
    You forgot the 2 biggest pubs of all

Aldi
    Lidl

Serious amount of stuff selling in those two :D
    They've got a cr@p smoking area though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

isnt there a members club or drinking club across from the tech overlooking the river as well? Cant remember the name of it there used to be another one on o connell st as well near pat mccarthy's.

Also did anyone mention "gengas" cant remember the proper name, down parnell st near lucas's.

they are talking about 14% unemployment, I think the lowest it ever got was ~3%, a lot of people are getting pay cuts though, things are tight for a lot of people, but in times of recession alcohol sales always go up, in the past this meant pubs were busier, now it might mean that Tesco's, Dunnes, Aldi or Lidl will be busier

fergusman wrote: »
    isnt there a members club or drinking club across from the tech overlooking the river as well? Cant remember the name of it there used to be another one on o connell st as well near pat mccarthy's.

Also did anyone mention "gengas" cant remember the proper name, down parnell st near lucas's.

I think maiden covered Ganga's, I didn't included the private clubs, I think there's 3 of those in town, 1 across from the Tech, 1 in the centre somewhere and a bridge club, you can't just walk in off the street to drink in those, most of the other places you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

they are talking about 14% unemployment, I think the lowest it ever got was ~3%, a lot of people are getting pay cuts though, things are tight for a lot of people, but in times of recession alcohol sales always go up, in the past this meant pubs were busier, now it might mean that Tesco's, Dunnes, Aldi or Lidl will be busier

I agree I think that most pubs are struggling right now very few actually making much money.
    Interesting to see if the growth in domestic drinking will lead to an increase in social problems such as domestic violence, noise disturbances etc.

While I wish the new Patricks every success, I wouldnt like to be opening a new pub in ennis right now, especially isolated in the market.
    The pubs around the queens should always be ok though, they'll always be busy on a sat night at least.

fergusman wrote: »
    I agree I think that most pubs are struggling right now very few actually making much money.
    Interesting to see if the growth in domestic drinking will lead to an increase in social problems such as domestic violence, noise disturbances etc.

While I wish the new Patricks every success, I wouldnt like to be opening a new pub in ennis right now, especially isolated in the market.
    The pubs around the queens should always be ok though, they'll always be busy on a sat night at least.
    Most of the pubs that are struggling are the places that have 20 staff and cater for the "weekend" crowd, they are happy to have the place heaving on a Saturday night with drunk people who may have gotten drunk elsewhere rather that catering for the lads that'll call in for a few pints after work and head away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Dole payments and other welfare benefits are very generous for those living with parents that have little or no commitments leaving spare cash for beers.

Wait until social welfare is centralised in Europe and rates harmonised with other countries like Spain and Greece where it hardly exists. You won't see as many pubs open particuarly on dole day.
    Haha we'll be waiting a very long time for that so there's no fear of the publicans missing out any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

.....ye all need to get out of the town centre for a bit ...

Does the Halfway count as an Ennis Pub any more..or is is too far to go ???

what about Johno's ...or The Grove...

also . how about PJ Kellys in carmody street..and Paddy Quinns

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭gailgo

The only place making a decent stab at culturizing town is Rowan tree. You go in, have your piece of food with a glass of wine or bottle of beer, sit out on the water front and have a nice relaxing conversation.

Go to the "traditional" places, where you get bouncers, racket music, cold staff and townie football boozers falling about the shop.

Pubs are making the money on a legal drug. In a economic slump people turn to drugs to dampen their woes. Thats why you have a increase in herion use across the country. Pubs are legalized drug dealers and in these times like I said, drug demand has skyrocketed.

By the way, the real reason why the yanks are in Afghanistan is to make sure the supply of herion to the West is maintained. After the Taliban were ousted, world herion supplies jumped many fold.
    sorry now but i must say this your name on this forum is { drunken munkey} is that not a contradiction of this quote , and not all football fans are boozers thanks

• Advertisement

romah wrote: »
    .....ye all need to get out of the town centre for a bit ...

Does the Halfway count as an Ennis Pub any more..or is is too far to go ???

what about Johno's ...or The Grove...

also . how about PJ Kellys in carmody street..and Paddy Quinns

PJ Kelly's, that the 1 I was thinking of next to Lava Kenny's, I think I mentioned Paddy Quinn's, Halfway counts, it's address is Ennis, Johno's and the Grove would be Barefield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

PJ Kelly's, that the 1 I was thinking of next to Lava Kenny's, I think I mentioned Paddy Quinn's, Halfway counts, it's address is Ennis, Johno's and the Grove would be Barefield

Johnnos is Doora. Bunnow to be precise.

Advertisement