Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandfather clause pistols

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    if we don't support each other in this , they'll pick us off one by one
    That is not what it's about.
    Look, you set it up right and run it right and I'll drop a few hundred in every month on a direct debit - but do it right. I'm not putting my hard-earned into someone's expense account just because they parrot some rhetoric about how we're "all in this together". I want to see it done right, not spoken about nicely :mad:
    Talk's cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sparks wrote: »
    That is not what it's about.
    Look, you set it up right and run it right and I'll drop a few hundred in every month on a direct debit - but do it right. I'm not putting my hard-earned into someone's expense account just because they parrot some rhetoric about how we're "all in this together". I want to see it done right, not spoken about nicely :mad:
    Talk's cheap.

not what i meant sparks , but in the last fcp meeting with the minister about all this a lot of people sat there and said nothing because they didn't care about centrefire shooters and practical pistol , if you shoot you should care about this latest outrage .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

what i meant was that there will eventually be some sort or other of a legal challenge to these new firearms leglislation.It will most likely end up in the high court and will cost a lot of money can the fund be some thing like the nargc compensation fund a kind of insurance policy
    this has to be a policy of the DOJ in a writ to all supers. because if just one super grants a licence for a CFP then you go back to square one with inconsistancies on who get of does not get a particular gun depending on the area they are from

and apologies to sparks I know we are all angry abuot this turn of events so dont go hiding you gun where i suggested earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

i was just talking to a south dublin firearms dealer , apparently 2 centrefire pistols have been approved and licences issued for them

You have just made my day/year/3 year period.

How accurate do you think this is?
    If this is the case then I can't imagine what happened regarding the initial post. But I SO want this to be true.

Promising news in one respect - but it makes the earlier decisions seem like either (a) vindictiveness ("You beat me in court, so now I'll give you a kicking"), or (b) inconsistency (which we supposedly just spent five years of our lives eradicating...).

• Advertisement

vindictiveness

If it is I can't believe it, it's simply too astonishing, isn't it?

difuclt ti ntype wirt fiungerds criossedf

G17 wrote: »
    If it is I can't believe it, it's simply too astonishing, isn't it?
    It says a lot of bad things about our country that that might as well be in big red sarcastic font :(

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

It says a lot of bad things about our country that that might as well be in big red sarcastic font :(

Or it may be that certain people could not justify why they needed a particular type of pistol, it wasnt clear from the post but it seemed that the reason for not granting was no justification, im open to correction on that though. However if that is the case it is between the chief and the applicant. I always felt that it was not going to be easy to retain a centerfire and felt that there would be quite a large reduction in their numbers.
    There were people out there who joined clubs, rarely attended and didnt attend competitions, therefor what did they need them for. Being careful what im saying here but a few people loosing liciences here because they cant justify them might make life easier into the future for the rest of us who can.
    Still waiting to hear back myself so hoping that I can justify to the chiefs satisfaction myself, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

hk wrote: »
    There were people out there who joined clubs, rarely attended and didnt attend competitions, therefor what did they need them for.
    I personally know a man who has been refused, who is the complete opposite of this.
    He is a very frequent attender at his club (and is also very actively involved in the running of the club) and has competed in a huge number of competitions at club, national, and international level.

could not justify why they needed a particular type of pistol

My worry is, knowing this applicant personally that I can't imagine that every i was not dotted and t crossed. This guy shoots up and down the country day in day out, competes, member of several clubs/associations..........

I didn't see his actual FCA1s however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

My worry is, knowing this applicant personally that I can't imagine that every i was not dotted and t crossed. This guy shoots up and down the country day in day out, competes, member of several clubs/associations..........

I didn't see his actual FCA1s however.

If its the guy we all think then it was simply payback, dont for a minute think they arent capable of it!, im not a pistol shooter but im sick for this guy!:(

this has been coming ever since AHern announced his plans for the gun laws in the irish times last year , he cleverly placated everyone with talk of the " legitimate shooter having nothing to fear " he simply split us in two , the people who already had pistols , and the ones who were going to look for them in future , he knocked the latter on the head and is now swooping again to finish off the one who do hold centrefire pistol licences .

can't say i am in the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Just an FYI,
    I dotted my i's & crossed my t's in my applications and provided all possible supporting information with the application. This is the important bit, I have never had any problems with the Gardaí, they have never had a problem with me and my firearms, but they still refused my applications for my CF pistols. No axe to grind, nothing personal, just no!
    Trust me on this, I meet all the criteria for a "yes" decision according to legislation but got a “no”. Hopefully this is just a first refusal to test my persistence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Trust me on this, I meet all the criteria for a "yes" decision according to legislation but got a “no”.
    Ah yes, but did the applicant? ;)

Sorry, just my little joke :o

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

RRPC,
    My heart sank when I opened the letters, but funny enough I wasn't surprised. People have usually told me I'm a bit pessimistic as I always felt we were going to be stiffed. I saw "good reason" appearing too much for my liking in DOJ paperwork, anyway 20/20 is always clear. Now I know their intentions its just a case of getting on with it, mystery solved!

Ok, I have had faaaaarrrr more Havana Club than anyone should on a work night, but...

The general consensus is that our boys in blue don't want the responsibility (I can't blame 'em), so they've thrown it to the litigative lions to have the courts decide, "eh, pass the Carex there Pontius".

19, count 'em 19 phone calls today to/from various folk and this is the overwhelming consensus.

I couldn't even discharge my Austrian unmentionable this evening, such was my 'depression', hence the rum also, hic.

And another thing, when I'm in rum - champion of you all - mode, not a single thanks for the breaking (granted bad) news. :D

Thanks Rovi, foxshooter243 and Grizzly 45, I f*ckin love you , you're like the best friends I ever had, no, no, like you were both with, like my sister, but, like you both respected her and like, oh it that sure, I'm alright to drive, I'M ALRIGHT TO DRIVE, I'm alright to drive, no take my keys, I f*cking hate myself, no, no I'm done well, I'm alright, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rum. Is there anything it can't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Maybe we should all go out on B52'S Christmas party and get totally pissed on Havana Club, or your poison of choice, and rant about this injustice till the wee hours!!!!:):)

Seroiusly though, we need to plan on how to fight this. We havent done anything wrong. Even within Mr Ahearn's new laws and Mr commisioner's new guidlines, us pre Nov 08 Centerfire pistol guys should be able to renew our licences within these parameters. We should not take this "No Justified reason" crap if we are spending serious hours in both target practice and Competitions every weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And another thing, when I'm in rum - champion of you all - mode, not a single thanks for the breaking (granted bad) news. :D
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah,thanks,now just stand there..little bit to the left...I dont want to get blood on the new carpet when I administer to you the traditional reward of bringers of bad tidings...:D:D:D:D

Now off for another shot or twelve of Mr J Daniels finest,and to bed.. Night all!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rum. Is there anything it can't do?

Taste like good whiskey? :)

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    Taste like good whiskey? :)

You know, it's really strange you should mention that, it does actually (you're obviously a connoisseur)!!! I'm a Powers fan generally, a lot more caustic, but I do see the similarity, should this be moved to the spirit appreciation forum? Pending divorce, seeing that you're a shooter too, will you marry me? :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

you're obviously a connoisseur

Not quite, I figure if I practice enough I might be one day. It's all about the training really. :)
    Pending divorce, seeing that you're a shooter too, will you marry me? :D:D:D:D:D:D

:eek: No thanks! Besides, this:
    I'm a Powers fan generally

would probably be a dealbreaker! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I'm getting worried now,have no letter stating that my applications were recieved yet and mine are in ages.
    I am expecting a no also for my scary austrian 9mm even though i meet all the requirments and my security is well above whats expected of me.
    Like everyone else I have spent a lot of money on security upgrades some of which I don't need but due to my area and type of cfp I have I did it to satisfy the chief super.
    Looks like a complete ban by the back door alright.
    I hope I am wrong but things are looking pretty bad from what I have been reading here.

daveob007 wrote: »
    I'm getting worried now,have no letter stating that my applications were recieved yet

Very few that I've talked to got those letters weeks after sending in the applications.

have any of the shooting organisations made any sort of public statement ? or approached the minister/doj/gardai about this ? the clock is ticking !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Shame on those who didnt act when there was a chance to prevent this, including individuals, and especially the A**holes who decided to try to fight their corner only, its not looking so rosey in the garden for them now either.

Which particular A**holes are you referring to?
    There are so many to choose from

B'Man

what ever about taking the issue of non licence renewal to court, If there is going to be a legal challenge to thenew leglislation then it has to be the whole idea that any one who had a licence before Nov. 18th while any one who applied after could not.
    this was unfair with to begin and was obviously only done to keep those who already had them happy and off the DOJs' back while they figured a way to take them away with out an out right ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

What about keeping finger off trigger, safety applied, and holding fire until the target can be clearly seen?

All the hype so far is in respect of a small few known letters from Chiefs outlining their considerations.

When the "refusals" are known, collated and examined over the next week or so, then and only then can any action be taken or considered even by Governing Bodies and Associations.

While it is upsetting for everyone (and I expect the postman might upset me very soon), we should keep our powder dry and see what materialises.

What might appear to be a policy, conspiracy or plan now, could turn out to be but one of the many failings in the new system. I am personally hopeful that our Governing Bodies and Associations will establish the actual truth or policy in their relationships with Garda and DoJ&LR.

This small waiting period will still allow people to consult with their Chief regarding the correspondence recieved, address it, and allow plenty of time for appeal if necessary.

what i can see in the coming weeks is our associations and governing bodies being told another bunch of barefaced lies , in the meetings with the minister and the fcp we were told that "legitimate shooters have nothing to fear from this" and "if you have a pistol before 28th november 08 your ok", all an absolute load of B.S. from AHern

• Advertisement

what i can see in the coming weeks is our associations and governing bodies being told another bunch of barefaced lies , in the meetings with the minister and the fcp we were told that "legitimate shooters have nothing to fear from this" and "if you have a pistol before 28th november 08 your ok", all an absolute load of B.S. from AHern

so you can only be a ligitimate shooter if you had a pistol before Nov. 18, '09

Advertisement