Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandfather clause pistols

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

To be fair how can you attribute any blame to the clubs?

They accept a member and said member buys a pistol/rifle/shotgun and applys for licence. Tells Garda I'm a member of 'X' club, Garda grants licence, member never goes to range or renews membership of range and Garda issues/re-issues licence. This is not the range owner/operators fault :rolleyes:

I believe this problem has been addressed by the clubs as attendance records have to be kept and is really the individuals problem,and should not reflect on other genuine sports people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I think you'll find it has been addressed in the new legisation more so than by the clubs.

IMO it is overall a good idea as a lot of lads 'used' clubs to get firearms who have/had no real interest in shooting. Have/had the money and wanted 'status symbols'. As a result the legitimate shooter is now paying the price with this latest "good reason" fiasco we are seeing.

It was always the individuals problem unfortunately the 'system' didn't see it that way. The clubs have been blamed instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To be fair how can you attribute any blame to the clubs?

They accept a member and said member buys a pistol/rifle/shotgun and applys for licence. Tells Garda I'm a member of 'X' club, Garda grants licence, member never goes to range or renews membership of range and Garda issues/re-issues licence. This is not the range owner/operators fault :rolleyes:

I said 'to some extent' bunny. No club could be blamed for a situation arising in the first year of membership, but after that if they renew a membership without investigating the members continued absence then they are at fault.

It should also be in a clubs constitution and rules that members take part in club activities. If not, what's the point?

I had this conversation a few years ago with Jim in Midlands and it was his opinion at the time that such members were going to cause us trouble in the long run.

He wasn't far wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It should also be in a clubs constitution and rules that members take part in club activities. If not, what's the point?

You have tto be careful about what you mandate in your constitution - it may suit some members but not all and may be overly restrictive and if in the consttution will require an AGM or EGM to change it. Messy.
    I think you'll find it has been addressed in the new legisation more so than by the clubs.

My Club has had electronic sign-in recording all range attendances for over 4 years now.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

does anyone have any infromation .22 pistol certs being renewed or refused?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

sharps wrote: »
    does anyone have any infromation .22 pistol certs being renewed or refused?

i have heard that some supers are treating anything thats not on the list as restricted full stop , this will mean that my .22 webley revolver is restricted but is nearly the same spec as the s+w 617 which is not restricted and on the list .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

mine is a s&w 617 just put in the application

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fenster18

Got the dreaded letter today, and was refused my Austrian, Super not satisfied that i have "not shown good reason for requiring a restricted firearm where a non restricted firearm will fullfill the purpose........."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Fenster18 wrote: »
    Got the dreaded letter today, and was refused my Austrian, Super not satisfied that i have "not shown good reason for requiring a restricted firearm where a non restricted firearm will fullfill the purpose........."

Well that answer to that is crudely simple. Detail the competition rules under which you've been shooting, which illustrate that only centrefires are eligible for centrefire competition. Then it's a question of whether they'll accept that. If not, then you've provided a reason why a non-restricted firearm is not a suitable alternative, and any appeal you make will be well grounded.

Advertisement