Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac question

Options
  • 06-10-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I went to Dr today because I've been having very bad bloating, blister like rashes on my face and legs along with other symptoms when I eat gluten for a while now. I cut gluten out of my diet for a few weeks and the symptoms eased. I started eating gluten again a couple of days ago and the symptoms reappeared. The doctor told me the symptoms looked like Coeliac Disease but that as it only occurs from childhood it was unlikely so she put it down to IBS, I came home and looked this up on the internet and it says that you can develop this disease in adulthood also, does anyone know if this is true, should I get a second opinion???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can be coeliac all your life- or you can develop an intolerance at any stage. You need to get a gluten test done- which should be helpful. I would not automatically assume a diagnosis of IBS is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

Acia,

Coeliac disease can go undetected for many years. I was not diagnosed until I was 16 and my auntie until she was 40. So it would be worth getting the test done just to confirm if it is coeliac disease.

Hope this helps,

Bnev

Advertisement