Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HIGH COSTS

• 06-10-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just finishing building a house with a contractor. Out sourcing some of the final jobs like fitting the kitchen and flooring.

Can anyone explain how a cabinet maker can quote €900 for a days work to fit a kitchen when all the materials are being supplied. How can someone quote €175 per room (standard room) to lay laminate floor.

Lets put this into perspecitve, a cabinet maker is demanding more money for a days work than a fireman or guard gets in a week. What risks are involved in fitting a kitchen or laying a floor.

Am i missing something here or is this the norm. It just cant be right??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BIMP

Kitchens usually take 2 -4 days deprnding on standard, etc. I would undestand 900 if it took 4 - 5 days and was a high quality kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

http://www.bruceshaw.ie/cost_management/latest_publications/Bruce%20Shaw%20Handbook%2009.pdf

... then You Decoide ( Big Brother Geordie voice over accent )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just finishing building a house with a contractor. Out sourcing some of the final jobs like fitting the kitchen and flooring.

Can anyone explain how a cabinet maker can quote €900 for a days work to fit a kitchen when all the materials are being supplied. How can someone quote €175 per room (standard room) to lay laminate floor.

Lets put this into perspecitve, a cabinet maker is demanding more money for a days work than a fireman or guard gets in a week. What risks are involved in fitting a kitchen or laying a floor.

Am i missing something here or is this the norm. It just cant be right??????

You need to shop around... it took me 3 months to find a tiler / plumber to do 3 bathrooms for me within what I considered a reasonable budget. I supplied everything - the bathrooms are standard sized, tiled floor to ceiling, all sanitaryware & showers were to be fitted.

From local guys, I got quotes ranging from €5k to an unbelievable €8k. I waited it out & kept looking round till I found a guy willing to do it for €2.5k. He finished the job in 6 days & did an excellent job.

Many tradesmen are still living in the days of the Celtic Tiger & it amazes me that some people are still willing (or even able!) to pay them the ridiculous prices they were charging two years ago.

BTW - if you need someone to do the laminate floors for you, I know a guy who's very reasonable & efficient (just send me a PM).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Can anyone explain how a cabinet maker can quote €900 for a days work to fit a kitchen when all the materials are being supplied.

I can explain this for you. It would seem that these guys in today climate want to make sure that they still take in the same money in a month regardless of the amount of work. I've seem this lately when qouting on refurb work so best idea is tell this guy to get lost and find someone who's got a bit more respect.. Loads of quality guys out there that WANT TO WORK..

Advertisement