Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching guitar to a 4 year old

• 06-10-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience or advice on teaching guitar to young kids?
    I want to teach my 4 year old nephew but I don't know where to start.

Mods: Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Feel free to move it if needs be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

On and off I show my nephew (7) a few things on guitar. He really wants to learn. I show him open chords mainly. For a 4 year old I'd say start with playing different notes on a single string and work him up to a simple single-stringed tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

How about a simple riff like Nirvana - Come As You Are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Is 4 not a wee bit too young? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

4 is too young but if the kid has an interest in music, at that age, rhythm is the place to start. I've been trying to teach my nephew (7) some stuff but his attention span and determination are pretty weak. One break through I had recently was strumming patterns on muted strings. They're easy to learn, not so loud and fun for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

On and off I show my nephew (7) a few things on guitar. He really wants to learn. I show him open chords mainly. For a 4 year old I'd say start with playing different notes on a single string and work him up to a simple single-stringed tune.

Any suggestions on single string tunes?
    The first one that comes into my head is the White Stripes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on single string tunes?
    The first one that comes into my head is the White Stripes....

My son who is 9 started playing at 8, his favourite riff is Smoke on teh Water. I started him on a one-string version, and when he had that down I showed him ho to play it on two strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jaylynch1111

I think 4 is too young, i would say 6/7 would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

A musical 4-year old should be able to play a G chord by pressing third finger on the 1st string G (3rd fret) and strumming top 4 strings (D, G, B, G).

Put some masking tape on 5th and 6th strings to deaden them but try and show him/her how to miss them.

Later, he/she will learn how to play the full G chord. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

The Best thing to teach a child would be how to sing intervals using the guitar to acomapany. - Start with Jaws la -la, la -la all the way to somewhere over the rainbow - la- la. This way the child may preserve their perfect pitch. - a G chord - why?

I think 4 is too young, i would say 6/7 would be better

Why? - would you allow a 4 year old to paint? - I teaching my daughter rhythm by clapping and intervals by singing (imitating the piano). She's 10 months old and Loves it.

• Advertisement

a G chord - why?

Because it's the only chord one can play on a EADGBE tuned guitar with one finger. Do you know of any other one? :confused:

. . . preserve their perfect pitch

"preserve" perfect pitch? What percentage of children are born with perfect pitch to preserve?

you can play many chords with One finger - using two open strings!! :confused:
    why would you start at such an advanced level - and what good would knowing how to play a G chord have? - none, except you could say- I thought a 4 year old how to play a G chord....with some masking tape

dochara wrote: »
    "preserve" perfect pitch? What percentage of children are born with perfect pitch to preserve?

- well none, as everyone knows, perfect pitch is handed down by God himself to very select humans who make a jump in evolution.

or - we are all born with perfect pitch and some people preserve it.

or your possibly right about all the points your making- who knows?

you can play many chords with One finger - using two open strings!! :confused:
    why would you start at such an advanced level - and what good would knowing how to play a G chord have? - none, except you could say- I thought a 4 year old how to play a G chord....with some masking tape

I don't have to explain the whys or wherefores - it's the only 4-string chord that one can play with one finger.

I charge for lessons. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

- well none, as everyone knows, perfect pitch is handed down by God himself to very select humans who make a jump in evolution.

or - we are all born with perfect pitch and some people preserve it.

or your possibly right about all the points your making- who knows?

I think you're right (think I read the same thing somewhere) - people with perfect pitch are like people who can wiggle their ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

I don't have to explain the whys or wherefores - it's the only 4-string chord that one can play with one finger.

I charge for lessons. :)

Hmm, how about E minor?
    D string 2nd fret, G, B and E strings open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hmm, how about E minor?
    D string 2nd fret, G, B and E strings open

So which one would be better to learn?

E minor or G Major? Hmmm... Let me think about that one.

IMO 4 is not too young to learn. Awkward maybe but not insumountable. At that stage it's about teaching a sense of rhythm and feeling for the music. I have a 5 yr old niece who's had a 'baby' guitar since last Christmas and she never puts it down. She plays all one string stuff shown to her by her older siblings and she's not too bad for the size of her!!! That can't be a bad thing in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

G major for happy Kids
    E minor for sullen ones
    ;-)

Anyway, as you say, much easier to teach kids melodies they recognise rather than chords.
    Nice to hear your kids are having fun with a guitar.

Start with some easy Beatles stuff...........Like so ->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Actually they reckon we're all born with it in order to learn language but then lose it once we do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 jay-susman

I used to teach a good few 4 and 5 year olds and usually their hands were way to small and they had almost zero attention.
    If you want him to learn you need to make it fun for him and give him a reason to want to keep going, maybe prizes for getting stuff right or something like that.
    Tunes on one string are probably your best bet too, i used that after chords were an epic fail:p!
    Try and pick one thing that you want him to learn and do that every time you teach and add something else every second week or so to keep his interest up. But at that age it's just constant repetition that will get to learn things.
    I found that keeping it interesting was the hardest part.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Regardless of age why not start with Twinkle Little Star or something like that. The most important thing is you play something TOGETHER rather than asking him to do it alone. That's the fun in teaching.
    Steve

Advertisement