Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search disabled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have decided to kill a kitten for every hour the search function is down now. :)

I'll mail the ears to the boards offices!:P

I can haz search function?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I have decided to kill a kitten for every hour the search function is down now. :)

Om nom nom...

If you can predict precisely how long it takes to build a full text index on a 7GB+ table on a specific hardware + software combination and figure out how to stop it crapping out arbitrarily then maybe I can give you an ETA.

Until then, you'll have to wait like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why?

The well of good faith has dried up under a barren sun. Dried up and turned bitter. But I feel a rain is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

wow wow wow.... no kitten killing... ever... *squinty eyes*

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

star-pants wrote: »
    wow wow wow.... no kitten killing... ever... *squinty eyes*

It's for the greater good. It'll keep Conor fed and happy based on his previous response, thus increasing the energy required to fix the problem. However, on the flip side, if he enjoys kitten ears too much, then he will stop working to keep the supply coming.

Catch 22 indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

"Hello you have reached Axis of Evil boards.ie HR deptment, could you kill a kitten?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Oh god not the kittens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Error page is now a permission denied page.

*fears change*

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Conor wrote: »
    I'm not going to argue with you there. Long term, we have plans for replacing/working around vBulletin's search. It's not really suitable for the volume of data we have.

I mentioned this a long time ago but people have managed to get sphinx search working with vbulletin.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127868

No idea if that is the direction you are taking however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

digitalspy is also a vbulletin site with about twice the volume of posts, the search facility seems to work grand. Is there much of a difference between the two under the hood?

digitalspy
    Forum software: vBulletin
    Number of posts: 36082832
    Number of members: 347548
    Post per member ratio: 104
    Posts last week: 128902
    Alexa ranking: 3178

boards.ie
    Number of posts: 15380071
    Number of members: 267789
    Post per member ratio: 57
    Posts last week: 95814
    Alexa ranking: 8804

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Was wondering what the other big boys did as well myself. If its a resource issue, how did they resolve it?

edit: DS seems to have much less, but in most cases, much larger fora.

mike65 wrote: »
    digitalspy is also a vbulletin site with about twice the volume of posts, the search facility seems to work grand. Is there much of a difference between the two under the hood?

digitalspy

boards.ie

Maybe it's time to give up on VB

Statistics for: Gaia Online
    Anime roleplaying community
    http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/ind...

Forum software: phpBB
    Number of posts: 1665742350
    Number of members: 19688569
    Post per member ratio: 85
    Posts last week: 3560285
    Alexa ranking: 1297

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to Big-Boards.com, boards.ie has 2 front-end webservers and digitalspy has 6!

Don't know if that's accurate

digitalspy

boards.ie

Its a management issue. It's about having a forward thinking CEO who puts resources in place before things fall over. I think with all the staff boards has at the moment working full time, that its about time the acting CEO pulled the finger out and got a full time professional in to run this place.

I'm no fan of many facets of the way this place plans ahead, but that would the same CEO* who oversaw the first dedicated employees join the site, the sourcing of a war chest to keep it on the rails, and brought commercial entities on board, no?

(* I don't think TM ever called himself that, but I'm open to correction-certainly I'd see him as the supreme authority hereabouts).

I'm no fan of many facets of the way this place plans ahead, but that would the same CEO* who oversaw the first dedicated employees join the site, the sourcing of a war chest to keep it on the rails, and brought commercial entities on board, no?

(* I don't think TM ever called himself that, but I'm open to correction-certainly I'd see him as the supreme authority hereabouts).

No. That all happened under the much loved Vexorg, it's severely disheartening to see such things being miss attributed.

CEO is the correct term for the person who runs boards.ie LTD regardless of what title he gives himself.

I had no intention of diminishing Vex's massive role in the growth of boards. He is sorely missed by all, I'm sure of that.

Nor would I diminish DeV's role. To do so would be most unfair.

I had no intention of diminishing Vex's massive role in the growth of boards. He is sorely missed by all, I'm sure of that.

True.

This thread isn't really about the CEO's role. Though, I only mention it as ultimately where the buck stops.

Fair enough, man :)

I've been told several times the bottle neck is not the hardware but the software so why not change to something which can clearly handle a large site with a large user base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I've been told several times the bottle neck is not the hardware but the software so why not change to something which can clearly handle a large site with a large user base.

My 2c on this is that the software that tends to scale high levels of users is either custom developed or very expensive. Boards is not representative of the type of use phpBB or vBulletin was designed for. I'm sure with enough time and hand holding you can get it to scale to huge levels however.

TimTim wrote: »
    My 2c on this is that the software that tends to scale high levels of users is either custom developed or very expensive. Boards is not representative of the type of use phpBB or vBulletin was designed for. I'm sure with enough time and hand holding you can get it to scale to huge levels however.

boards.ie

Vs

PhpBB handles bigger number on that site then what boards.ie currently has and gaiaonline has a hell of a lot more functionality as well as just search.

Check it out for yourself.
    www.gaiaonline.com

TimTim wrote: »
    I mentioned this a long time ago but people have managed to get sphinx search working with vbulletin.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127868

No idea if that is the direction you are taking however.

Sphinx and Solr are the two leading candidates for replacing vBulletin's search functionality.

digitalspy

boards.ie

I've no idea what they have different under the hood. As far as I know, most large sites don't run stock versions of the software they run on, so I doubt they're running a stock version of vBulletin.
    Maybe it's time to give up on VB

Anime roleplaying community
    http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/ind...

Gaia Online doesn't run phpBB in any real sense anymore. They've extensively hacked it to get more speed out of it.
    According to Big-Boards.com, boards.ie has 2 front-end webservers and digitalspy has 6!

Don't know if that's accurate

It's quite out of date. I suspect it's out of date for digitalspy too.

We currently have 12 machines, 10 of which are directly involved in running boards.ie and adverts.ie.

There is no purpose-built software for running large forums that I know of. All the leading candidates appear to require modification to scale up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

C'mon guys,Devore 'lent out'equipment to politics.ie for Lisbon! and are still waiting for it back!{seriously though i Really miss 'Todays posts'most of all:(}

Conor had a meeting with Devore today to sort it all out,one of the Newspaper types snapped them working hard on the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No problems with patience here folks, but it's becoming very hard for me to keep track of my threads and those in which I've contibuted. My post count has dropped a lot, I'm sure. I've read the announcements, but looking through this thread it seems that a critical capacity was reached, right?

Any reason why this wasn't anticipated? Not really much use paying people to run the site (and no offence personally, lads, you do a stand up job 99.9% of the time) if little things like that get overlooked.

If that's not the case then consider me corrected but I think having been a subscriber for a good long while now (not going to change as a result of this, btw) I get to whinge a bit ;)

Any idea, realistically, when this will be sorted? Days, weeks, months etc?

sdonn wrote: »
    No problems with patience here folks, but it's becoming very hard for me to keep track of my threads and those in which I've contibuted. My post count has dropped a lot, I'm sure. I've read the announcements, but looking through this thread it seems that a critical capacity was reached, right?

Any reason why this wasn't anticipated? Not really much use paying people to run the site (and no offence personally, lads, you do a stand up job 99.9% of the time) if little things like that get overlooked.

It's more complicated than that. When it's all done and I have time to write it all up, you'll get a full explanation.
    sdonn wrote: »
    Any idea, realistically, when this will be sorted? Days, weeks, months etc?

Plan A: Days
    Plan B: Weeks
    Plan C: Weeks (more than Plan B)

If I knew what solution would work, then I could tell you when it'll get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ynotdu wrote: »
    C'mon guys,Devore 'lent out'equipment to politics.ie for Lisbon! and are still waiting for it back!{seriously though i Really miss 'Todays posts'most of all:(}

Conor had a meeting with Devore today to sort it all out,one of the Newspaper types snapped them working hard on the issue!

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Personally I would rather have a slow site that sometimes errors than have no search.
    I can understand a week after a major failure, but to be fair this is getting silly.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Personally I would rather have a slow site that sometimes errors than have no search.
    I can understand a week after a major failure, but to be fair this is getting silly.

We're open to helpful, knowledgeable suggestions as to how we might get it working. If you're better at this stuff than we are, I'm all ears.

Advertisement