Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search disabled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Are ye running a Windows server? If ye are, have you tried licking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Are ye running a Windows server? If ye are, have you tried licking it?

Answers on the back of a stamp please.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ynotdu wrote: »
    Answers on the back of a stamp please.....................
    :)

26 letters in the box of plastic alphabets but as you correctly assumed, you'll only need to use two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

day 17

Down for its 3rd week now..

..the days are getting shorter, it's dark and cold as the star drifts further away

the life-support system is quickly deteriorating..

I hope we can get home soon...

I hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

day 17

..the days are getting shorter, it's dark and cold as the star drifts further away

I hope...

Thats poetic dude.

This lack of search function is seriously getting on my fcuking wick. Twist your nobs and what other sh1te ye have to do and get it sorted ffs.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It could be a while yet, Cap'n.

Dudess wrote: »
    It could be a while yet, Cap'n.
    Its giving me a pain where there's no window. :p

Strange how you dont miss something until its gone. Pain in the arse not being able to search forums etc etc. Google search me hole.

Get yer acts together!! (not you Dudess:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I miss it, I have to say but it's not being done deliberately or to annoy us.

And it is a hassle when you see what you think is a re reg, but you learn to spot things as I suppose Mods had to do before it was introduced.

It's a bummer that we don't have it but it's not as if it won't be back.

I can wait, I have a file of names that I will come after.

It's all logged in my big boards book.
    <_<

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

day 17

I hope...

Their is beauty and hope in all you say for sure URL

the ending to this life or death situation has been achieved before:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Conor wrote: »
    The other two problems we're having is that the master is under-performing for no diagnosable reason (hence the reason we are sending so many reads to the slave) and the slave is deadlocking on some queries several times per day. Fixing search is only one part of three interlocking complex problems. Most of our time is sucked up trying to fix/work around those problems rather than fixing search. If all we had to do was fix search, we would have been done weeks ago.
    Although my background is more Oracle and DB2, this smells like something might be wrong with the lock-level, i.e. your mysql instance might be using table/page locking when it should be row-locking, hence the deadlocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Although my background is more Oracle and DB2, this smells like something might be wrong with the lock-level, i.e. your mysql instance might be using table/page locking when it should be row-locking, hence the deadlocking.

In general, we have pain with MySQL because we're using the MyISAM storage engine which locks at table level. One upcoming possible change is to go to the InnoDB storage engine which does row-level locking. Moving to InnoDB is an expensive change though (in terms of hours of downtime) and it's hard to predict the exact performance changes. It's not the case that MyISAM < InnoDB for all query loads.

We need more experimental data on it before making that change and it's something we hope to test when some new hardware arrives.

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Now get it fcuking sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think the word 'temporarily' should be taken out of the announcement title at this stage tbh. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Guys you do know that *we* need the search back too, right? Getting abusive in here isn't going to make it happen any faster. Yes, it's a hindrance and a pain in the posterior, but I can assure you that every minute of our tech team's working day is being devoted to getting this fixed properly and permanently as opposed to just fixed.

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It makes us feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Conor,

Some smrt smart guys in Servers & System who are very helpful if you want to make a thread there to bounce some ideas around.

-Funk

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Now get it fcuking sorted!
    Take a week off from Feedback pal.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

funk-you wrote: »
    Conor,
    Some smrt smart guys in Servers & System who are very helpful if you want to make a thread there to bounce some ideas around.
    -Funk
    Not to pee on their shoes, but I've known Conor a few years out in the real world and he's pretty competent.

I've got better hair, mind.

So many dead kittens:( Are ye happy now???

Ah, I know the search is needed by all, but I have nearly 100 different posts thanked since it went down, going through them is gonna be a mothaf***a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So many dead kittens:( Are ye happy now???

Ah, I know the search is needed by all, but I have nearly 100 different posts thanked since it went down, going through them is gonna be a mothaf***a.
    Relax. Conor has told you they are working on it. Moaning about your thanks isnt gonna fix it.

I think they should take your thanks option away for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

To Conor et al, I'd just like to say, I think you're alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm getting used to living with out the search function, not really too bothered if it comes back or not. The google search works well and I'm not too interested in checking what posts other posters have made.

Kiera wrote: »
    Relax. Conor has told you they are working on it. Moaning about your thanks isnt gonna fix it.

I think they should take your thanks option away for that :)

I am relaxed about it, it doesn't bother me that much, I'm still killing the kittens though, they need some motivation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

never knew people used search so much... stalkers

never knew people used search so much... stalkers

Disabling search fcuks with like 12 other functions, that's why people are getting annoyed.

Not their fault though, I would rather no search than a ****e search.

Search is back on temporarily.

Depending on how we do over the weekend it might stay on or it might be restricted or it might be turned off again.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Great stuff. Nice one Conor :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yay!

Three cheers for Conor!

[edit]
    And Ross![/edit]

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Duiske wrote: »
    Great stuff. Nice one Conor :)
    Yay!

Three cheers for Conor!

Ross did a hell of a lot of the work. I just happened to be the person who got to turn it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Thanks Conor and Ross.

Advertisement