Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

• 06-10-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I am trying to upgrade my Vaio laptop from Vista Home Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate and I keep on getting this message:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

* For these items, make the following changes:

Uninstall these programs. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program".

o Intel PROSet/Wireless

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)

o ATI Catalyst Control Center *
    o GoogleToolbar

The problem is that there are no visable options to uninstall either Intel PROSet/Wireless or ATI Catalyst Control Center and my question is how do I uninstall then so I can upgrade my OS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Both of thouse programs should be in you "Programs and features" in control panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Backup, format and install is always the preferable option.
    The upgrade option is always a pain in the h*le.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Backup, format and install is always the preferable option.
    The upgrade option is always a pain in the h*le.

I agree, as a general rule. But having painlessly upgraded my Vista machine last night, I'd say upgrade is a viable option, if you dont want to have to spend hours downloading and installing all that software you would otherwise have lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

homer911 wrote: »
    I agree, as a general rule. But having painlessly upgraded my Vista machine last night, I'd say upgrade is a viable option, if you dont want to have to spend hours downloading and installing all that software you would otherwise have lost..

I agree with this general role too but in this case I have a laptop with alot of software on it and don't have any backup disks with serial numbers etc so I don't really want to start from scratch for that reason.

Was your upgrade really smooth homer911? Do you have a full version of Windows 7 or is it a RC? (I have a full version that I got at a Microsoft conference :D)

• Advertisement

Straight through without incident. Only interruption was to enter the product code at the end of the process. Took about 1.75 hours though. A fresh install would have been quicker.

And yes, it was a copy I got at a launch event yesterday - as the guy said "It just works..."

I was pleasantly surprised!

I did back up the Users directory just in case, but it wasnt needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Raekwon wrote: »
    I agree with this general role too but in this case I have a laptop with alot of software on it and don't have any backup disks with serial numbers etc so I don't really want to start from scratch for that reason.

Sounds like a list of reasons NOT to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Okay I downloaded a program called Revo Uninstaller and uninstalled the programs that Windows 7 was having issues with. I'm happy to say that installed perfectly and all my documents, files & programs are all intact (took an hour and a half to upgrade). Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pcman

The best thing to do with windows 7 Build 7600 is to do a clean install
    when installing you will notice windows 7 will create a 100MB partition at the start of your HDD
    this is called the WinRE partition "Win recovery enviroment"
    which will help in future if any problems arise

if you do an upgrade this will not be available unless you create a system repair disc from the Back up and restore center

alsodoing a clean install there will be no unnecessary HDD space taken up
    for example
    Windows mail is not available in Win 7 but the folder and registry keys are still there after the upgrade you can use windows live mail to import from the existing mail folder if ann upgrade is done.
    other features not available are
    windows movie maker
    windows photo gallery
    windows ultimate extras
    windows calender

also once you have installed win 7 as a clean install you can DL all drivers and SW from the pc manufactors website with no problems
    theres a good chance you wont have to dl a single driver ,
    yes its that good
    i recommend CLEAN INSTALL
    thanks for reading

Advertisement