Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Visual Basic 6.0 Help

Options
  • 06-10-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys, recently started a Comp Net Tech Course and i hear the boardsie programmers are genius and extremely helpful to newcomers in the area so im here on a mission: one of the modules is windows programming, the visual basic 6.0 stuff isnt as hard to learn as i thought (the property controls are kind of straighforward, etc.) BUT, the code and calculations are whats getting me and im just wondering if anybody here can recommend anything (be it a fast way to pick it up, a book, a website or video tutorial) that is well explained and easy to follow that can make a fluent visual basic programmer out of me!!

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Everything you want is here

http://tinyurl.com/ydslu5e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HatField

Ok i thought i specified a particular area of help that i needed, but anyway, thanks. I know how to use google btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Best way to learn is come up with an idea for a program like a simple calculator and then make it into a cash register etc. get more complex as you go. I find writing Pseudo code first is very helpful. Is it anything in particular that's got ya puzzled? Programming is really cool...I think anyway! * id multiply and / is divide I believe been a while since I did VB6...what part of the code is confusing you?

Look into If statements, Loops, Arrays and Case Statements they can acheive most things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Practice practice practice is all I can say. A good pet project to learn how to program (regardless of language) is replicating the Windows calculator. If you want to get really ambitious you could even do the scientific version. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I spent a good few years with VB being my main tool but it was a while ago. So when I was trying to quickly find any good online resources for the beginners now, I got none. There are some advanced topics on mvps.org but they won't probably help much now. I alway found MSDN to be the greatest repository for Windows/API/VB questions so I kept a local copy of its January 2000 version and I would still say this is the number one place for VB people of any level. Unfortunately, their online MSDN is a pile of rubbish (as opposed to local versions which were always brilliant) so I can't recommend it. Sorry, not much help but I just thought to give my 2c here as I used to be quite close with VB (not Fred, normal ones).

• Advertisement
Advertisement