Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage door replacement

• 06-10-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi
    Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

My old double garage door gave up the ghost and I was looking to replace it. I have been looking at various types; roller door or sectional. Can anyone give any recommendations as to which is better (and why)?

Plus, my previous door was manual. Was looking to go for one with a motor. Anything to watch out for? What happens in a power cut (which we get quite often)? Does that mean that the car is stuck in the garage?

Thanks
    Atellyer:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Personally I prefer the panel doors. They are insulated and provide a pretty good seal once fitted right.
    No problem when the power cuts, you have a chain pull system that you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Da Ross

Hi.
    I'm in the garage door business. Personally I would go for the Sectional Insulated door. They can be very well engineered. However these do cost a considerable amount more than some roller doors, but if you're spending 250,000 euro on your house whats 1800 euro for a quality door which will add to your house's appearance!
    There are roller doors on sale here in Ireland that are made from one or two sheets of pvc coated steel which are joined together and have ribs pressed in them. They have a black rectangular section in the middle of the door with both a handle and the lock. These are the cheapest available and there's a reason for that. If you decide to buy one of these doors, insist on seeing one in the flesh first. Give it a good push in the middle and note the amount of deflection achieved.
    Also check the depth of the guides being used. Anything less than two inches is not acceptable.
    The best roller door available is made from individual PVC coated steel lath which is slided together to form a door. There is a lot more material in this door and the strength is considerably greater than the one above. These generally have two locks. One at either side of the door.
    Make sure the motor has some kind of function in it which will reverse the door if it hits an obstruction while closing!
    Also try and purchase a door which has a CE mark as it will conform to European guidelines!
    One more thing. Try and get the colour you are looking for in a PVC as some company's will powder coat or spray paint the door and its not as durable as PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

Thanks for your replies. That will help me a lot. Is Henderson a good make to go for in sectional garage doors? Anyone got any experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Da Ross

Give Hangar a call on 042-9698400. They're nationwide. They do a Kingspan sectional door. Its excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Another option for you is Overhead Doors at 067 38194. Do a good door and reasonable in their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DohertyGDS

Don't go for the cheapest option. Think about the cost per year over the lifetime of the door. Generally the best quality works out the cheapest in the long run.

Advertisement