Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching CFB at a pub in Dublin???

• 06-10-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Guys
    I am a huge Notre dame fan and I am coming to Dublin for a couple of weeks.
    I need to know if I can watch the games at any pubs in Dublin
    Any and all help is appreciated
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat the Patriot

Sinnotts pub under the St. Stephens Green shopping centre and opposite the Gaiety theatre shows American Football.......NFL and NCAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

ndtoronto wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    I am a huge Notre dame fan and I am coming to Dublin for a couple of weeks.
    I need to know if I can watch the games at any pubs in Dublin
    Any and all help is appreciated
    Thanks in advance

We only have 2 channels showing college football. Eurosport who sometimes show big ten games and ESPN America who show some scheduled games but these days nhl seems to have taken the slots.

http://www.espnamerica.com/portal/systemcontent/tvschedule

Go to the above link and make sure you select Ireland as the country. Flick to the Saturdays you are here and it will tell you if any games are on. The Woolshed on Parnell St shows games but the problem with Saturdays is Rugby and Premier League soccer right now being the favoured sport in bars.

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/Home_Page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yep tallaght is spot on. Our selection of NCAA football on tv is minimal.

so you will probably end up having to stream the game online. you should postpone your trip till 2012 and watch notre dame play live over here :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

D3PO wrote: »
    yep tallaght is spot on. Our selection of NCAA football on tv is minimal.

so you will probably end up having to stream the game online. you should postpone your trip till 2012 and watch notre dame play live over here :D:D

ND playing in Ireland in 2012! is it a preseason game or a real game? Who are they going to play? First i've heard of it and i have so many questions...

Hazys wrote: »
    ND playing in Ireland in 2012! is it a preseason game or a real game? Who are they going to play? First i've heard of it and i have so many questions...

No its an official NCAA Div 1 game

Notre Dame V Navy NCAA Div 1 game @ Croke Park September 1st 2012

the news is like 4 years old :D

• Advertisement

2012 Notre Dame NCAA Schedule

Sept. 1 Navy (at Dublin, Ireland)
    Sept. 8 PURDUE
    Sept. 15 at Michigan State
    Sept. 22 MICHIGAN
    Oct. 6 Baylor (at New Orleans, LA)
    Oct. 13 STANFORD TBC
    Oct. 20 PITTSBURGH
    Oct. 27 at Oklahoma
    Nov. 3 TBA
    Nov. 10 ARMY
    Nov. 17 WAKE FOREST
    Nov. 24 at USC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ndtoronto, there is no way to watch ND home games in Ireland, because we cannot get NBC on this side of the Atlantic. Usually away games will be shown in any pub that caters for American football, as their games usually get covered by our ESPN feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ndtoronto

And yes I am coming to Ireland for the Navy/Notre Dame game
    My parents are from Kildare and Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ND vs Navy in Croke Park - that brings back memories!

There's an interesting story behind the fixture:
    Despite the one-sided result the last few decades, most Notre Dame and Navy fans consider the series a sacred tradition for historical reasons. Notre Dame, like many colleges, faced severe financial difficulties during World War II. The US Navy made Notre Dame a training center and paid enough for usage of the facilities, with federal tax money, to keep the University afloat. Notre Dame has since extended an open invitation for Navy to play the Irish in football and considers the game annual repayment on a debt of honor. The series is marked by mutual respect, as evidenced by each team standing at attention during the playing of the other's alma mater after the game, a tradition that started in 2005. Navy's athletic director, on renewing the series through 2016, remarked "...it is of great interest to our collective national audience of Irish fans, Naval Academy alumni, and the Navy family at large."[13] The series is scheduled to continue indefinitely; renewals are a mere formality.

Yup^^

It's said that ND football has one friend, one enemy and one rival: Navy, Michigan and USC respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

cool when and how do you get tickets for this? and why announce it for 2012 its so far away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ndtoronto, there is no way to watch ND home games in Ireland, because we cannot get NBC on this side of the Atlantic.

Nope, You can get NBC this side of the Atlantic. NBC is available free on a satellite called Telstar 15°W. I get ND games :).

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Nope, You can get NBC this side of the Atlantic. NBC is available free on a satellite called Telstar 15°W. I get ND games :).

:D I think he means most regular bars or Joes wouldnt have it. :D

cool when and how do you get tickets for this? and why announce it for 2012 its so far away!!

college schedules are announced years in advance. thats how its done. Given the schedule is agreed it makes sense for the venues to be agreed aswell

dont panic about tickets its on in croker you will get tickets :cool: they wont go on sale for a long time yet !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

:D I think he means most regular bars or Joes wouldnt have it. :D
    :D

Hate to correct another person. But alot of bars in Dublin have motorised systems these days with the ever changing rights to football they have to be able to keep up. Getting them to do it on a Sunday when the football is on would be difficult though :P.

Hate to correct another person. But alot of bars in Dublin have motorised systems these days with the ever changing rights to football they have to be able to keep up. Getting them to do it on a Sunday when the football is on would be difficult though :P.

You werent correcting me. I said "I think he means".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

NBC is available free on a satellite called Telstar 15°W. I get ND games :).

how would u go about getting this?

how would u go about getting this?

Yeah, would be interested in finding that out aswell.

You need a standard dish. And you point it 15.0°W and Telstar 12 broadcasts of this. Correct me if Im wrong. You will also need a satellite reciever box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

D3PO wrote: »
    college schedules are announced years in advance. thats how its done. Given the schedule is agreed it makes sense for the venues to be agreed aswell

dont panic about tickets its on in croker you will get tickets :cool: they wont go on sale for a long time yet !!

true but i figure the interest in NFL in Ireland is growing and by 2012 it'll be huge i reckon im alreday getting few of my mates and work mates into it, slowly but surely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Thats pretty sweet but whats with the camera angle :D

Advertisement