Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Was just booking a train ticket for the aul one there on the Iarnrod Eireann website for a trip to Dublin tomorrow from Eyre Square... 10 euro!!

Shocked!

I got a ticket before for the same journey under a student fare... €42 ONE WAY

I actually had to double check to see if maybe it was an error or something!
    Value much? Yes I think so!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

fend wrote: »
    Was just booking a train ticket for the aul one there on the Iarnrod Eireann website for a trip to Dublin tomorrow from Eyre Square... 10 euro!!

Shocked!

I got a ticket before for the same journey under a student fare... €42 ONE WAY

I actually had to double check to see if maybe it was an error or something!
    Value much? Yes I think so!

I've heard that before that they do it on non-peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

From Galway to Dublin, quite a few trains have this price. Dublin to Galway, less so, the last one of the day has, and often the mid morning. On Fridays they are a bit more.

Just go to the 'reservation' part of the site, choose a time, then hit 'check price' if you are unsure.

Only works for online price. I get the train about a third of the time these days, but only while the prices remain reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Not particularly surprised to be honest; applied for a job with Iarnrod Eireann on the 26th September 2008, got a letter today saying my application was unsuccessful - one year later!

I mean sure, its largely unrelated to your predicament, but a true story nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Checked it for the 9.15 train, the 11 and the 1pm! All a tenner!
    Peak Shmeek... If I was going to Dublin, personally, I would be booking an early enough train. I would have assumed 11am and 1pm were peak times?

Thats just my opinion, but to have such a good offer up until 1pm?

I didnt actually check to see if it was available at any other times of the day, purely because the iarnrod eireann is a bit of a b***h to be refreshing all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah that 10e is only on selected times. biggest sickener is the 48e ONE WAY and return at the weekends. sorry id like a seat on the train, i don't want to purchase the entire train!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

And the latest craic is that if you reserve a seat (which can help if you can't be there for the train early) it seems to mean diddily, or at least causes mayhem (sometimes also funny!). The seat number on your ticket rarely matches the name on the digital reserved sign over the seat.
    This divides people into those who a) go for the seat they actually chose (I'd be one of those) and the number on the ticket. or b) those who go hunting for their name and try and oust the people already there as 'it is their name, their seat'.

It's really quite tribal the divide! :rolleyes:

Often times, NO reserved notes are on there at all, but there is the ominous announcement not to 'take pre-reserved seats' (for all the psychics on the train).

Then it is down to how Irish you are/how much you want the seat with the middle aged woman sitting in it, who looks really comfy. Gah.

Advertisement