Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign: let's get politicians' expenses under the FOI Act.

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Here goes. This is the email address to contact in order to receive information under the Freedom of Information Act 1997 about Oireachtas members' expenses:
    FOI@oireachtas.ie
    Here is the website with information on the FOI process as it concerns Oireachtas members:

http://www.gov.ie/oireachtas/foi/guide/sect1.htm

3.6.2 Requests for internal review should be submitted in writing to:
    Mr. Padraic Donlon,
    Freedom of Information Internal Reviewer,
    Office of the Houses of the Oireachtas,
    Leinster House,
    Kildare St,
    Dublin 2.

Phone: 01-6183072
    Fax: 01-6184106
    E-Mail: FOI@oireachtas.ie

They are charging €15 per inquiry (€10 if you are a medical card holder). I am willing to spend €105 of my money getting the expenses for 7 members of the Oireachtas and publishing them online/here. Is anybody willing to work on the expenses on the other 219 members of the Dáil and Seanad combined?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is this what we call a trapped mindset.

lets get the poltical expense published automatically without having to pay via foi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I'd be happy to join in here, but would you really get all the information you need after your first request and payment of 15 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Why has no newspaper/journalist taken on this issue yet?

You can put me down for one if nothing turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

lets get the poltical expense published automatically without having to pay via foi.

i think lenihan said this today, aim higher lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

You don't need to submit separate FOI requests for each member of the Dáil.

However, I would suggest you limit your request to a few key people or at most the Goverment members (i.e. the 15) otherwise your application will be refused on grounds of volume.

Perhaps you could word it like this:

I request under the FOI Acts, all documents held by the Oireachtas and the Departments of the Taoiseach and Finance, in relation to the claims for expenses submitted by 1. Brian Cowen, 2. Eamon O Cuiv 3. etc... etc... since 2007.

Could be refused on grounds of Section 28 - personal information. but doubt it, given the O'Donoghue debacle. you could appeal it anyway, first to the internal reviewer, then to the info. commissioner.

all a waste of time really but best of luck if any of you pursue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If you do do this, make sure you get Ruairi Quinn's.

Advertisement