Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from the USA`

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is currently importing from the USA?I have a business idea which I need to get moving on pretty quickly. I have found my supplier, am currently in the process of getting an order priced. What I would like is recommendations on reliable freight forwarding companies that operate between the 2 locations, and also, any info on tariffs / import taxes. We will be importing through our company but have never imported from the US before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Now off to google with me!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Talk to this guy, he deals with China but im sure he knows the same info for the states, drop him a pm to find out anyways.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60642997&postcount=10

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Yes Id reccommend him too - has been very helpful to me over the past number of weeks regarding queries to importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Thats a great start, going to PM him now, I think it'll be no more than a few palates, probably not a full container so hopefully he'll be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I used to import from the states a good bit but found it very expensive. The freight charges from warehouse to port can be really expensive, I remember it costing around 1500 USD before, as much as if not more than the freight. The drayage charges were also high. I think the thing is that China is set up all around export so all the manufacturing is a few hours away from the port (and drivers are much cheaper). With the USA home market being so big they manufacture anywhere and they might be a 24hr drive away from a main port...

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is currently importing from the USA?I have a business idea which I need to get moving on pretty quickly. I have found my supplier, am currently in the process of getting an order priced. What I would like is recommendations on reliable freight forwarding companies that operate between the 2 locations, and also, any info on tariffs / import taxes. We will be importing through our company but have never imported from the US before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Now off to google with me!!

Hello Heathersonline;

I can certainly assist you with imports from the USA and assist with tariff classification and import duties.

Look forward to hearing from you

best regards,
    RUDOLF289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Hi heathersonline - have been helping with a business over the last few months who have started importing 5/6 pallet loads at a time - all straightforward once you deal with the right freight handlers. If you want details of the guys that they use, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Having trouble finding a wholesaler for a new business idea here or in the UK, although I'm still looking. I have come across a couple in the US.

Given the size and quantity of the stock, at least initially, shipping might be simply through USPS or Fedex. If I get stuff shipped directly to me, what's the procedure for paying import duty ? I've found this Revenue document on importing goods through the post - however that expects An Post to attach a customs charge docket to the parcel. What's the procedure if they don't?

Secondly, I'm wondering about volume labelling. US sourced items are probably going to be labelled in fl oz, instead of mls. Is there a legal requirement that products sold here be labelled in metric measurement, or does that only apply to foodstuffs?

In terms of calculating import rates, can I rely on the TARIC system? And am I using it properly? I assume it's just a matter of searching the appropriate code, listing the import country, and taking the "Third country duty" figure?

And finally, if some items are zero-rated for duty but others aren't, yet they all arrive in the same consignment, how is the portion of the postage and insurance liable for import duty calculated? (I appreciate that the entire shipping figure + import duty will be the basis for the VAT calculation)

Any suggestions on other factors I might need to consider are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

MOH wrote: »
    Having trouble finding a wholesaler for a new business idea here or in the UK, although I'm still looking. I have come across a couple in the US.

Given the size and quantity of the stock, at least initially, shipping might be simply through USPS or Fedex. If I get stuff shipped directly to me, what's the procedure for paying import duty ? I've found this Revenue document on importing goods through the post - however that expects An Post to attach a customs charge docket to the parcel. What's the procedure if they don't?

Secondly, I'm wondering about volume labelling. US sourced items are probably going to be labelled in fl oz, instead of mls. Is there a legal requirement that products sold here be labelled in metric measurement, or does that only apply to foodstuffs?

In terms of calculating import rates, can I rely on the TARIC system? And am I using it properly? I assume it's just a matter of searching the appropriate code, listing the import country, and taking the "Third country duty" figure?

And finally, if some items are zero-rated for duty but others aren't, yet they all arrive in the same consignment, how is the portion of the postage and insurance liable for import duty calculated? (I appreciate that the entire shipping figure + import duty will be the basis for the VAT calculation)

Any suggestions on other factors I might need to consider are welcome.

Hello MOH,

Have a look at this attachment. I would suggest, if you have difficulties finding the correct tariff classification on TARIC, to have a word with Customs in Nenagh (details in the enclosed document)

In relation to the freight cost add on for duty items, normally that is done on a pro-rata basis. This can be done either on a value basis or weight basis. It depends on the customs clerk in UPS/FEDEX who clears it ..........

Normally the delivery courier will likely look for cash or a credit card payment to settle the duty/VAT. I suggest to contact the courier company once you have a tracking number and establish what their procedure is.

I must admit I am not familiar with retail labelling requirements, so unfortunately am not able to give you any advise in that area.

If you start shipping larger quantities, let me know and will see if we can do a deal for you on seafreight or airfreight from the USA

Best regards,
    RUDOLF289

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Wow, that's an excellent document. Thanks a million, and thanks for the answers

Advertisement