Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be wary of Argos - 'exempt' returns policy

• 06-10-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

I was asked what I thought of a 8megapixel Hitachi camera offered as a gift, to find it too delicate and cheap to last were I to use it, offending the giver, but to be honest I frequently drop things, it appears flimsy and I'd be afraid of breaking it, with injured wrists, (carpal tunnel).

The giver gave me the receipt asking me to take it back and exchange it with a budget of 100 euro, up from the 62 on the receipt, with a couple of those 5 euro vouchers

The management refused
    :mad:
    The excuse was while the back of the receipt boasted of a 30 day returns policy, the front said this was an exempted item.

Googling I see we're not the only person being burnt this way, so just spreading the word.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes it's a policy on certain goods such as cameras, video cameras or computer games to stop you from say using them for 14 days and then returning them, would be handy free rental :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They should have warned you when you bought the item .

Did they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

atheist wrote: »
    I was asked what I thought of a 8megapixel Hitachi camera offered as a gift, to find it too delicate and cheap to last were I to use it, offending the giver, but to be honest I frequently drop things, it appears flimsy and I'd be afraid of breaking it, with injured wrists, (carpal tunnel).

The giver gave me the receipt asking me to take it back and exchange it with a budget of 100 euro, up from the 62 on the receipt, with a couple of those 5 euro vouchers

The management refused
    :mad:
    The excuse was while the back of the receipt boasted of a 30 day returns policy, the front said this was an exempted item.

Googling I see we're not the only person being burnt this way, so just spreading the word.

That is disgraceful!!! Have you checked out if this is allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Yes - phoned National Consumer Protection Agency, Argos HQ, Camerasupport line (infinate redirection) and Hitachi (wrong section of company - serviced diggers)
    I was the reipient of the gift, but purchacer told me this evening she had been told she could exchange it, but was frustrated by Argos telling me there are two further problems - Argos regarded it as used as the shrink wrap had been taken off the battries, and because I did not have the gift giver's lazer card with me. They said that they could only refund to that card, and they were not inclined to do this in any case. This is despite me pointing out that they had better cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If the front of the receipt says it is exempt then it is exempt from the refund policy.

As for the staff saying it could be returned, thats a case of "he said she said" and is very hard to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That is disgraceful!!! Have you checked out if this is allowed?
    Of course it is allowed; there is no legal requirement to take something back because the buyer changed their mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They're perfectly within their rights.

Firstly, you're returning the camera, even though there's nothing wrong with it. Therefore, standard consumer law does not apply here - this only protects you in the case of the item being defective, misrepresented etc. As a result, you're now depending on the returns policy of the store.

Secondly, Argos do state that cameras are exempt from their usual returns policy. This is clearly written on the receipt and in addition, I usually find that Argos staff will inform you of these things when you are making the purchase.

It's a tough break, given that Argos are usually quite good when it comes to exchanges, but they do have themselves covered here. I think your best bet is to sell the camera privately and use the money to purchase another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I bought a camcorder from Argos last year and was told when buying the item that it was specifically excluded from the 30-day return offer. I think that this flashes up on the screen when they sell excluded items and so it is very likely that they told your friend when they bought the product that it was excluded.

It also sounds as if you have opened and used the camera which would mean that it would not be in a resalable condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

The camera has now been regifted to a 15year old.
    There may be nothing I can do but gripe. So I gripe! Expletive Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

speaking of Argos....bought a portable DVD player yesterday...€169.95 in the Sony shop and €50 more expensive in Argos.

I used to assume Argos would be cheaper but this shows it pays to shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It always pays to shop around; never trust any store to be "the cheapest" because they have been before (not that Argos is usually either but that's another story).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

items that are excempt are marked in the catalogue and also stated on your receipt. i am always informed by staff members. which is dont get in some other shops at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

speaking of Argos....bought a portable DVD player yesterday...€169.95 in the Sony shop and €50 more expensive in Argos.

argos are not cheaper but when they offer 20-50% off in their monthly sales then you are getting the items at closer to the average price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

foggy_lad wrote: »
    argos are not cheaper but when they offer 20-50% off in their monthly sales then you are getting the items at closer to the average price.

Yes, that's the only time that anyone in their right mind would consider buying anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

They do have great value on toys! cheaper than most shops. and also when u spend over 50 u get 5 euro voucher and over 100 you get 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The exchange info on the back of your receipt is the standard policy, the note on the front informs you it's excluded. As stated above, it's a pity you're not happy, but the store has really done everything correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Yes it's a policy on certain goods such as cameras, video cameras or computer games to stop you from say using them for 14 days and then returning them, would be handy free rental :D.
    This is the reason, many people would be renting them for weddings etc, or getting video games -I know my mate used to. I got a refund on an excluded item in argos, I said it was broken and I had bought another one so had no need for a replacement -got cash back, but I am good at bullsh!tting.

Other items like shavers are exempt for hygiene reasons.

Their catalogue comes out infrequently and prices are dropping on many items so it is often not the current best price. Check the smaller catalogues where the real up to date bargains are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Purchased an ipod from Argos recently and it too is exempt from their returns guarantee. I was clearly told this at point of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Is there any way around this if the item is still shrink wrapped and has obviously not been used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

dudara wrote: »
    Secondly, Argos do state that cameras are exempt from their usual returns policy. This is clearly written on the receipt and in addition, I usually find that Argos staff will inform you of these things when you are making the purchase.
    bh988 wrote: »
    I am always informed by staff members. which is dont get in some other shops at all

One flaw with this is that if you bypass staff, and make your payment via the credit card machines in store then you are not told of this restriction at any stage of the purchase - at best you might be told by the member of staff who hands it to you at your collection point.

Perhaps they could change the payment terminals to give this message as well. One of the reasons I bought one of my presents specifically in Argos was because of the whole 'if she doesnt like the colour of the ipod it can be returned easily under their 30day money back guarantee thingee'. So it was a trifle annoying to only find out after purchase that it is excluded. (Thankfully the colour was ok, so the thread can breathe a sigh of relief).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps people taking stuff back reached epidemic proportions, and Argos had to limit it in some way. Some of the stuff could have been broken by the customer, and this would only have come to light after the customer had themselves a refund or an exchange.

I've never had any trouble taking stuff back, but only if it was faulty, even several months after I'd bought an item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's really up to Argos, they only have to take a return if there's a fault (as do all retailers).

If their computer system is set up correctly, the staff will literally not be able to refund the items on the do not return list, without setting up an RMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

One of the reasons I bought one of my presents specifically in Argos was because of the whole 'if she doesnt like the colour of the ipod it can be returned easily under their 30day money back guarantee thingee'. So it was a trifle annoying to only find out after purchase that it is excluded.
    There are little crosses beside all items which are exempt, these can be seen in the catalogue and online. Ipods are one I would expect cause trouble since 1. people can load songs on and it would have to be fully checked, 2. I expect the packaging might have proper seals on it and cannot simply be sold to another customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

This is the main reason i will not buy an no-exchange item from Argos. I shop elsewhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

same thing happened with me. I even asked when I bought it could I return it and was told yes (a portable dvd player).
    The sales person said yes but they also circled the bit saying exempt from refund. I imagine they circle it automatically but just forgot to say it to me as I was asking them a question at the time.

Besides that they're great for taking stuff back.

Advertisement