Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Scan

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

We have just found out we are expecting and have decided after much debate to go public. However as the first scan won't be until 18-20 weeks we are looking into getting an earlier scan done privately. We are in Galway so we could go to the Galway Clinic but they only scan up to 12 weeks. I know there is a place in Castlebar that does 3D/4D 'entertainment' scans. But does anyone know if there are any medical clinics in the west that do private scans after 12 weeks?
    Thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

I'm based in Dublin so I can't help you but rollercoaster might have some places advertised

They are great for the peace of mind but on reflection a total waste of money. I paid 120.00 for mine and we were in and out in about 10 minutes. The picture at that stage isnt much to look at either

I know for the reassurance its a small price to pay but I went out and bought myself a doppler the week after which allowed me to hear the babies heartbeat ... it was a fraction of the cost and much more reassuring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I got a private scan done at 13 weeks in the Rotunda in Dublin. Basically it was just a dating scan and a viability scan to see if pregnancy was viable. They told us they wouldn't be able to check for abnormalities or anything else. To be honest, not a lot of clinics do that. Maybe ring around them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

D Warrior firstly congrats on your pregnancy!
    The RCSI unit in the rotunda hospital do dating scans from 6 weeks on. if you want to call the number is 8786070. They also provide a pregnancy package which will be this scan (viability scan or dating scan they call it) and EITHER your first trimester scan OR the 3D scan later on and also the anomaly scan. you can also get a couple of wellbeing meetings/scans with them at any time during your pregnancy. The first trimester scan is done between 12 and 13 weeks and it checks to see if you should proceed with a CVS or amniocentesis test which checks for downs etc. the anomaly then goes on to check for hare lip/cleft palate and other abnormalities. best of luck with it all

Advertisement