Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire-rated expanding foam

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

I bought a solid fuel stove which I'm trying to fit myself to an existing fireplace.

I've taken out the fireback, and suceeded in marrying the clay pipe adaptor to the existing flue.
    The problem is, while taking out the canopy, I broke off a 4' piece of existing flue which I want to patch up again.

Was going to use this to fill it up again, as the salesman assured me it would do the trick..

I get home and google it to find it's burn out point is 100C.
    Obviously it's not going to be enough,I'd imagine the operating temperature of the flue would be a lot higher..
    Anybody know of any other stuff to use or maybe a better solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why not use fire cement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

The joint is up 3 foot above the fireplace ope, and I'd have to put it on upside down if this makes any sense...
    Would the fire cement stick if I smudged it into the crack?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Hi,

Yes the fire foam wont work and will start smoking at quite a relatively low heat!
    Your best bet is to use fire cement by geocel. They sell it in atlantic homecare and it comes in a tube, like silicon.
    http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=14&pt=firerated
    It will be tricky as it will need to be very clean to get it right.
    I presume the best bet is to fit the clay adaptor and just liberally apply the cement although it would be hard if the piece was at the back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Yup kodak, that's exactly what i ended up doing.
    It's no oil painting up there, but I've lit it and seems to be drying well now.
    Will put on another layer tomorrow, just to seal it better but for now, no smoke leaks,phew:)
    You were right Davy, just didn't realise the cement was gooey enough to apply up there.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

kodak wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes the fire foam wont work and will start smoking at quite a relatively low heat!
    Your best bet is to use fire cement by geocel. They sell it in atlantic homecare and it comes in a tube, like silicon.
    http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=14&pt=firerated
    It will be tricky as it will need to be very clean to get it right.
    I presume the best bet is to fit the clay adaptor and just liberally apply the cement although it would be hard if the piece was at the back?
    staker wrote: »
    Yup kodak, that's exactly what i ended up doing.
    It's no oil painting up there, but I've lit it and seems to be drying well now.
    Will put on another layer tomorrow, just to seal it better but for now, no smoke leaks,phew:)
    You were right Davy, just didn't realise the cement was gooey enough to apply up there.
    Thanks for the help.

Just an added bit of information. Geocel do 2 products that are fire seal. One is 2 hour its a caulk and the other is 4 hour its a silicone. Atlantic does not do both from my memory but this might have changed. If you need to know who does the 4 hour silicone you can contact protim abrasives who are the agents for geocel in ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement