Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risen

Options
  • 06-10-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risen_(video_game)

Anyone getting this?

Its from the makers of the gothic series. The first 2 games of which are great rpgs. Really underrated imo.

if its anything like gothic 1 or 2 ill be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm really enjoying it on the 360. Sure, it has it's issues, the graphics are poor and it drops you right in at the deep end but it's a bloody good game. Lots of atmopshere and character and real freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im thinking of getting it. Im not a hardcore RPG head though and only came to the genre on the back of recent games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout etc From what I read about Risen, its more old school. Ive seen on some forums that the pace is very pedestrian and its heavily weighted toward exploration........... could be good, could be a snore.

I like the look of it from the trailers though, seems very atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Took me ages to choose between the 360 and pc versions. I went with the lazy 360 choice and my Amazon order shipped just as Eurogamer posted their 4/10 review. I tried the pc demo over the weekend and it seemed ok.

The 360 version arrived yesterday and I gave it a quick go. Controls do seem a bit fiddley and it's not as clear as the pc version but so nothing as bad as I thought it would be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

First impressions are that it's essentially a Gothic game, bar the name, even down to the same fonts. It seems a little more forgiving and polished in comparison though. Currently I'm making a mess of things in Harbour town though. Probably not a good idea to head there very early in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The 360 version was done by a different team, and is supposed to be much worse then the Pc version. I might give this a go, as i enjoy these types of games. Gothic was always a bitch to get into. And by get into i mean to survive for more then 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i loved the way in gothic 2, your character is so weak at the start. Getting owned by flies and rats. But after your skills are up you can own anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Waiting for my copy, I should have gotten it on monday....damn you postal service:mad:

But from what I have read it looks like the pc version is good and is much more like gothic 2 than gothic 3 was, so it will please the old fans after the gothic 3 disaster. After the community patched gothic 3 it was good but it took 2 years. I'll still never get over the size of the map in g3 must be one of the biggest games ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I enjoyed this much more than Morrowind/Oblivion -- but that's not saying much.

Fight controls are a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How big is the game world?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really like the combat – especially the sword play. Every fight is tough so you have to be constantly on your guard and wait for the right moment to pick your attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I can't wait to try it , i was a huge fan of gothic 1 ( i mean did any1 not join the sect loonies in the swamp ?? ) and gothic 2 and yes even gothic 3 ( with the player patch )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

humanji wrote: »
    How big is the game world?

I can't compare it to any of the Gothic titles but Risen's gamworld is smaller than the ones in Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I decided to take the plunge and have to say I'm loving it. Even though it looks and feels like Gothic 3, it's a far better so far (though I'm still near the beginning). I'm surprised it's gotten some fairly average reviews so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm fairly far in now, chapter 4 or something. I'll try to avoid spoilers.

Combat is really pissing me off. It does get better once you've gone up a few levels in weapon skill, so that you can do parrys and the like. But all too often it's a case of once I'm hit, I can't respond and I continue to be hit until death. Combat against multiple enemies is also a pain because of this. Anyone who's played the earlier Gothic games will be familiar with this though. I'm still sticking with it so far despite this.

Some small hints:

Potions used to boost total health use plain mushrooms as their base, not Druid's Hemlock plants, so you can eat those immediately.

Eating 10 apples gives you a +1 strength, just like in Gothic.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

loving this game atm, started over the weekend, lvl 10 on sword so pretty much just raping everything, great game though. on chapter 3 atm, might have to check out the Gothic games afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry for the bump, but i just saw the clip for Risen 2 and the release date for May, and it combines Pirates and RPG which should = win.

So, thinking about getting the first one. Anyone who has played/finished it, would ye recommend it and what does it play like considering i've never played the Gothic games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Sorry for the bump, but i just saw the clip for Risen 2 and the release date for May, and it combines Pirates and RPG which should = win.

So, thinking about getting the first one. Anyone who has played/finished it, would ye recommend it and what does it play like considering i've never played the Gothic games...

I'm currently doing some de-cluttering in my house. I have the 360 version which you're free to have if you want to give it a try ? I got the pc version on steam so I know I'll never touch the 360 copy. Just pass it on to someone else when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played it there last year and found it very enjoyable and was quite surprised how good it was considering some peoples misgivings about the Gothic series
    just checked and it's very hard to get now with the cheapest place being Steam for €20

Advertisement