Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first response to dog poisoning

Options
  • 06-10-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

unfortunately a neighbour has recently threatened to shoot or poison my dogs. I check the garden in the morning before I leave them out but am worried in case I miss something. I live maybe half an hour from my vet so would like to know if there is anything I can give the dogs to make them throw up if I feel they've taken a poisoned treat. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Jesus :eek: Why on earth have they threatened to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

That is awful!!
    What are your dogs doing that would make them do this??

If its a tresspassing issue, why not try the electric fence collar thing? So it may be 100€, but I think that is slightly more appealing rather than (a.) Forking out 100squid a dog to the vet to fix them when theyve taken any sort of posin (b.) Having the worry of searching your garden in the mornings. EVERY morning. OR (c.) bury your dogs...

Might be worth an investment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

it would all depend if he throws something over your wall just when you ahev left for work, there would be no point in trying to make them throw up after 8 hours when you get home. But just in case getting them to drink salted water makes them throw up, but again you have to be careful with what you think they may have gotten poisioned with. Whats your neighbours issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think the main point here is getting to the root of the issue the neighbour has with your dogs and you talking through this issue and making a clear attampt to resolve this issue to a reasonable satisfaction of both parties.

Things like this usually escalate, as this one appear to have, without dialogue and understanding.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do you enter into dialogue with people who have threatened violence?

I know what I'd do :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Bambi wrote: »
    Do you enter into dialogue with people who have threatened violence?

I know what I'd do :o

If they've threatened violence I generally want to know whats got them worked up so much, then try diffuse the situation. Thats how adults should deal with such situations. To threaten violence in the first place is a but in the crazy side, however we dont know the background story.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I'd rather not go into the reason behind the threats. The police have been involved and have talked to my neighbour but we feel the threat remains.
    I would take the dogs to the vet immediately if I felt they had taken something but would feel better if I could make them throw up whatever they had taken straight away. I have a large fenced garden so the dogs are secure there, my worry is that a poisoned carcass or treat would be thrown over the wall.
    Is salt water the way to go or is there a product I could buy and have ready?
    Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

The fact that you won't tell people the reason behind this, leads me to believe you're not handling your dog well (not to say what your neighbour is threatening is right). Seriously doubt your neighbour is going to shoot or poison your dog though.

You're not supposed to induce vomiting in a poisoning situation. Even if your neighbour did throw something, unless you were there when they did it (doubtful), what could you do? You'd just come home to a sick dog, who won't eat or drink probably.

If your dog is sick, take them straight to the vet and then if you think your neighbour was after throwing something over, tell your vet.

If anything, notify your solicitor that there has been poisoning threats against your dog. If the dog died unexpectedly, you might be able to get a toxicology report done (no idea if you can, im guessing). I'm sure your solicitor could write up a letter for your neighbour on this.

The fact that you won't tell people the reason behind this, leads me to believe you're not handling your dog well (not to say what your neighbour is threatening is right). Seriously doubt your neighbour is going to shoot or poison your dog though.

You're not supposed to induce vomiting in a poisoning situation. Even if your neighbour did throw something, unless you were there when they did it (doubtful), what could you do? You'd just come home to a sick dog, who won't eat or drink probably.

If your dog is sick, take them straight to the vet and then if you think your neighbour was after throwing something over, tell your vet.

If anything, notify your solicitor that there has been poisoning threats against your dog. If the dog died unexpectedly, you might be able to get a toxicology report done (no idea if you can, im guessing). I'm sure your solicitor could write up a letter for your neighbour on this.

With all due respect, I don't want to post anymore details here in case someone recognises who I'm talking about. I certainly feel I'm a very responsible dog owner and my dogs have done nothing to warrant these threats. My neighbour lacks any reason and has physically assaulted me personally.
    While I have met my neighbour numerous times I can't say if these threats are going to be carried out, but you apparently feel you can!
    As I explained in my posts I live a half hour from the vets surgery and I'm looking for something that I can do in that critical time so thanks for your input on that.
    just for the curious here my dogs have not bitten or attacked anyone nor have they been worrying livestock. These threats are not just directed towards the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If that is the case and I were you, I'd be paying a visit to the nearest Garda station and speaking to someone there.

• Advertisement

We've been to the guards twice, and while they have spoken to my neighbour we feel the threat remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I would visit your vet and tell them your concerns. They will recommend to you what to do if it actually does happen. Follow te advise the give you while on the way to the vets.

I would also possibly look into pttin a camera up. Nothing too expensive even a dummy one just to possibly deter them.

wexford202 wrote: »
    I would visit your vet and tell them your concerns. They will recommend to you what to do if it actually does happen. Follow te advise the give you while on the way to the vets.

I would also possibly look into pttin a camera up. Nothing too expensive even a dummy one just to possibly deter them.

Thanks, I'll be calling the vet today. We are waiting for the security to install the cameras (6!!).

Thanks, I'll be calling the vet today. We are waiting for the security to install the cameras (6!!).

I wouldn't say that there is much more than that that you can do.

You have to still go on with life and try not to think too much about it. The cctv should give you some extra comfort. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Just in case,
    years ago my father came home to find the dog had been poisoned and lying qiute lethargic in the garden so what he did.. he got a tub of margarine (yanno the big square ones) and forced it all down the throat of the dog then the dog threw it all up minutes later, poison and all and was right as rain about an hour later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would suggest asking your vet what are the best things you can do if you suspect your dog has been poisoned, not all things suggested may work/or be best for your dog.

CCTV sounds like a plan too should you need it regarding the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

sounds like an awful situation,,your best bet it definatley talk to your vet as hes really the only one that could advise properly,,best of luck and lets hope you never have to deal with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

With all due respect, I don't want to post anymore details here in case someone recognises who I'm talking about. I certainly feel I'm a very responsible dog owner and my dogs have done nothing to warrant these threats. My neighbour lacks any reason and has physically assaulted me personally.
    With all due respect to yourself and the obvious sensitive nature of this issue, could you give even the slightest bit more info about the issue without any risk of identifying the people involved?

Like simply say whether its (a) a personal issue (the neighbour has a problem with you and is seeing your dogs as an easy route to getting to you) or (b) is it actually an issue with your dogs (wandering on to their property, bothering them or their animals)?

Even just answering that much would make it easier to offer suggestions as to what you can/should do - and it shouldn't give any hint as to the identity of people involved.

Top Dog wrote: »
    With all due respect to yourself and the obvious sensitive nature of this issue, could you give even the slightest bit more info about the issue without any risk of identifying the people involved?

Like simply say whether its (a) a personal issue (the neighbour has a problem with you and is seeing your dogs as an easy route to getting to you) or (b) is it actually an issue with your dogs (wandering on to their property, bothering them or their animals)?

Even just answering that much would make it easier to offer suggestions as to what you can/should do - and it shouldn't give any hint as to the identity of people involved.

The Op has just asked for the way to treat a dog if it is poisioned.

The circumstances around the issue with the neighbours is entirely irrelevant and his requests to remain that way also should be respected.

He is not asking advice for personal issues or for a way of defending himself he is just asking what to do for the dog. He said his neighbour has said that they will do this. He needs to know what is the best thing to do to help his dog if it happens.

If you don't know what to do with a poisioned dog then don't answer the question.

The circumstances around the issue with the neighbours is entirely irrelevant and his requests to remain that way also should be respected.
    Eh sorry? Its entirely relevant! If the OP's dogs are wandering on to the neighbours land then the neighbour has every right to protect their property (remember, we're only hearing one side of the story so have to stay some way objective about it). If, for example, its a farm, then the owner is within the law to shoot the dogs on sight. Its not a nice thing, but reality bites sometimes. An electric collar/fence combination is an unreliable way of dealing with this. If there's a powercut - then the dogs can wander freely, making the collar/fence useless. If this is the problem then the OP needs to look into proper fencing or a decent run for their dogs.

If on the other hand the neighbour is threatening the dogs as a way to get to the OP, then this thread would be better served by people suggesting ways in which the OP could protect their dogs without it getting to the point where they need to know what to do in the case of poisoning.

Ever hear the phrase Prevention is better than cure? Personally I'd much rather my own dogs were never poisoned and I'd do my damdest to protect them so that the chances of it happening are minimised.

• Advertisement

The question the OP is asking is what to do if a dog is poisioned not how to handle my neighbours!

OP just ask your vet as that they are the only people qualified to give you an answer.

Again I hope this doesn't ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

There is certain stuff that you can give the dog to make him.her throw up, only problem with it is getting the dog to take the stuff because as far as I know its almost like a tonic you literally have to shove in the dogs mouth using a syringe or other.

The other problem is the type of poison that could be the threat. You have to understand that some poisons are far more dangerous than others and will usually effect dogs in different ways. You may not know the dog has taken anything at all until it literally drops dead.

If it's a barking problem you are having with you dogs, there is a spray you can get which you literally spray in the dogs mouth/throat and it drowns out the barks for a number of hours.

The question the OP is asking is what to do if a dog is poisioned not how to handle my neighbours!
    And I'm trying to point out that preventing the dogs getting poisoned in the first place is a better course of action - something thats obviously lost on you :rolleyes:

I'll step away now since you simply don't want to see that for me here the number one consideration is the dogs - not the OP and not their neighbours.

Top Dog wrote: »
    And I'm trying to point out that preventing the dogs getting poisoned in the first place is a better course of action - something thats obviously lost on you :rolleyes:

I'll step away now since you simply don't want to see that for me here the number one consideration is the dogs - not the OP and not their neighbours.

I really only posted to find out what I could do in the event of this happening. I'm not giving any more details as it wouldn't be of any help and could possibly escalate the situation, a remote possibility, I know.

I've been taking advice from the guards and my solicitor and feel thats the proper place to look for it.

I've been to the vet today and he gave me a solution of hydrogen peroxide to give the dogs if I see they've eaten rat poison. Apparently it's the dog poison of choice.
    Here's hoping it remains on the shelf.
    Thank you everyone for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

When I was 13, my dog was poisoned. He ate a treat laced with rat-poison that someone threw in to our garden. It was extremely quick and extremely horrific. Please be very vigilant and please don't let your dogs into the garden unsupervised.

My thoughts are with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP Why can't you just keep your dogs indoors?
    If you are worried your neighbours will throw poison over the garden wall then why are you leaving the dogs in the garden unsupervised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

OP, my mother used to do secretarial work for a vet, who swears that washing up liquid is best to get a dog to vomit. Years ago, as a child, I saw my mam force a load of washing up liquid down one of our terriers throat as he had gotten out and eaten rat poison. It was really scary but it did the trick! He vomited everything and was fine soon after. However, this was a long time ago and I've only ever seen this done once so don't take my word as gospel.
    Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petchums.com

My neighbours dog, a miniature jack Russell was poisoned last week by farmers next door. The sad thing is the little thing went through agony for 3 days until it died. It's inhumane to kill any animal in this way.. Especially a tiny dog that wouldn't scare a fly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP general pet advice is great but when it comes to something like this it's really best to ask a vet, perhaps have something on standby to give the dog while you rush it to the vets. Different poisons need to be treated differently as far as I know, sometimes emetics are used to make a dog sick and charcoal is used too but its really a matter for a vet so any suggestions on a board unless by a vet perhaps should be run by a vet first.

With rat poison vitamin K was usually used but as said various poisons need various treatments and you could do more damage treating the dog with random things.

Neighbour wise it's a nightmare being stuck with dodgy neighbours fingers crossed they don't carry out the threat. Guards will only do so much for situations like this sadly.

Only thing for now perhaps is as well as the CCTV is to keep the dogs inside when you aren't at home and keep up with checking the area.

So many sad stories of dogs being poisoned and not nuisance dogs either quiet well behaved dogs with responsible owners never hear of anyone being done for it either which is just as sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

The sad thing is the little thing went through agony for 3 days until it died.

It is extremely sad when any animal is poisoned. Did your neighbours not think that it would have been a lot kinder to have the poor thing put to sleep rather than let it suffer so long?

Advertisement