Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilary Mantel Wins The Booker Prize..

Options
  • 06-10-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel wins the Booker Prize, it`s a brilliant novel, but I`m a bit biased as I love the time period its` set in.
    Never read any of the other books on the short list though. Has anyone here read them? Any good?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8292488.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Chairman of judges James Naughtie said: "Our decision was based on the sheer bigness of the book.
    I like to make all my important decisions based on similar criteria.

The Booker selection this year was badness. Sheer badness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That shortlist looks...uninspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I like to make all my important decisions based on similar criteria.

The Booker selection this year was badness. Sheer badness.

What do you mean by badness? (I'm not picking at you, just genuinely interested!). I have only read The Little Stranger out of the shortlist so far, and while I really enjoyed it, it didn't strike me as a "Booker" type of book, and I thought it was no where near as good as, say, The Secret Scripture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I only read an extract from Wolf Hall - the opening paragraphs - and was hooked and am ready to buy the book. Love the idea behind it and love her writing style.
    havn't read any of the other ones though.

Advertisement