Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros/Cons of Different Med Schools

Options
  • 06-10-2009 10:41pm

I know that most people will say that all the med schools are equal in quality to each other. Which I agree with. But are there any minor pros/cons or differences between the various colleges in Ireland that you wouldn't hear about from open days and prospectuses? I only ask because I'm trying to decide which order to place the colleges on my CAO, not to incite college rivalry!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pleo

aviod trinity like a plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Pleo wrote: »

That's pretty unhelpful, in fairness.

I know you're looking for minor differences, and people will be able to help out out with that.

But, in reality, Irish med schools have a great reputation and they follow the same broad curriculum.

The only thing I would say (and I'm in Oz at the minute, so I've no way of checking) is that some of the unis are cutting back on dissections and doing more PBL-style teaching. I'd be less inclined to go to one of those schools, to be honest.

If I had to make a choice, I'd go to Trinity, as it just has that slight edge in terms of international reputation, which might make your application more attractive if you want to work in a competitive job overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

i have no idea why you would say that. tcd has a great med school - the admin side is a bit hectic and disorganised but thats the only problem really

1st and 2nd med is all about trinity campus, which is great craic, especially with hitting the pav after lectures.

clinical years are going to be pretty much the same everywhere though id think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

No difference really, goes in cycles, leading horse to water....etc. If you get any medical school place you are doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I've never heard anything good about Trinity tbh but I don't know why people don't like it. I know that the pharmacy course there is appalling though so maybe it's a general health sciences thing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

yerayeah wrote: »
    I've never heard anything good about Trinity tbh but I don't know why people don't like it. I know that the pharmacy course there is appalling though so maybe it's a general health sciences thing...

im a 4th med in trinity and the only thing i could complain about is that we dont get lectures emailed to us regularly and that sometimes exam results take a while to come out.

its a great place.

flerb22 wrote: »
    im a 4th med in trinity and the only thing i could complain about is that we dont get lectures emailed to us regularly and that sometimes exam results take a while to come out.

its a great place.
    There just seems to be a lot of bad reviews about it though. I don't know what it is but I would never consider going to Trinity for medicine. And this is admittedly this is baseless speculation but I think that since it doesn't have a great reputation but still has the highest points (i.e. the highest demand) there's probably more people there for the prestige of doing medicine and I can't stand people like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had to make a quick pros/cons list between RCSI and UCD today as I was offered a place in medicine in UCD after my rechecks came back.

My list is:

RCSI Pros

-In town
    -great facilities due to high fees paid by foreign students
    -Very well regarded internationally (even if people
    in Ireland don't seem to know all that much about it)
    -Free laptop
    -5 year course with optional 6 year course
    -Small college so lots of oppertunities for
    individual attention
    -Lots of opportunities to travel because of links with
    foreign universities

UCD Pros
    -Large University, get to know people from other faculties
    -exhibition scholarships for high LC points
    -clinical teaching is in St. Vincent's which is really near to me
    -more social activities because of more clubs and societies
    -UCD Horizons means you can take modules in other areas of interest-UCD has a brand new health sciences building

RCSI Cons
    -Small college, doesn't have that "University" feel.
    -Attached to Beaumont, which is really far from me
    -A lot of foreign friends will go back home

UCD Cons
    -almost everyone does premed, it's very difficult to get into the 5 year course, whereas you can automatically get 5 year in RCSI if you have LC chemistry and another science
    -Large university so it's very easy to be just a statistic and not get individual attention
    -it's not on that many direct bus routes, a bit of a pain to get to if you're coming from very north or very south of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Clinical teaching in UCD is either in Vincent's or the Mater and I think, and I may very well be wrong, that the laptop from RCSI is not free, the cost is included in your fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pleo

Pros and Cons of different GEM programs

Is the UL program on par with the others given that it doesnt have anatomy practicals with cadavers. Also is there as much clinical exposure in the UL program in the first 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I think that since it doesn't have a great reputation but still has the highest points (i.e. the highest demand) there's probably more people there for the prestige of doing medicine and I can't stand people like that...

I have read that for the umpteenth time and it still makes no sense.
    Are you saying that people who do medicine for the "prestige" are more likely to get into trinity? :confused:

Im sure you have a valid point in there somewhere. Perhaps it just needs to be explained to me.

I have read that for the umpteenth time and it still makes no sense.
    Are you saying that people who do medicine for the "prestige" are more likely to get into trinity? :confused:

Im sure you have a valid point in there somewhere. Perhaps it just needs to be explained to me.
    Well the way I look at it, Trinity's medschool has probably got the worst reputation in Ireland but as a whole, Trinity is the most prestigious university here. So I think it is more likely that students who go to Trinity go for the prestige of being able to say they do medicine in Trinity than for the quality of education they will recieve.

I don't really have any idea how good medicine in Trinity actually is but I would never do it there becuase there seems to be a lot of people like Pleo above who think it is a bad course...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Well the way I look at it, Trinity's medschool has probably got the worst reputation in Ireland but as a whole, Trinity is the most prestigious university here. So I think it is more likely that students who go to Trinity go for the prestige of being able to say they do medicine in Trinity than for the quality of education they will recieve.

I don't really have any idea how good medicine in Trinity actually is but I would never do it there becuase there seems to be a lot of people like Pleo above who think it is a bad course...

I go to UCC and I love everything about it, so I'm not defending Trinity as an insider. A very small percentage might do what you're talking about, but no more. Some might just love the place. Some might believe it's the best (it might be, I don't personally know). Some will go because it's close by and the convenience will allow them to study more. It could be a family tradition that everyone going to university goes to Trinity. Someone might just want medicine and not care where, and list all schools in descending order of points. The particular hospitals might appeal to some students.

I've not heard many complaints about it.

I go to UCC and I love everything about it, so I'm not defending Trinity as an insider. A very small percentage might do what you're talking about, but no more. Some might just love the place. Some might believe it's the best (it might be, I don't personally know). Some will go because it's close by and the convenience will allow them to study more. It could be a family tradition that everyone going to university goes to Trinity. Someone might just want medicine and not care where, and list all schools in descending order of points. The particular hospitals might appeal to some students.

I've not heard many complaints about it.
    Ya, agree with all you say there but I still would be very wary about going there but that is just my own opinion on it... I reckon there probably is very little between all the medschools here in reality, but there seems to be a minority of people who think Trinity is not much good.

I think it is more likely that students who go to Trinity go for the prestige of being able to say they do medicine in Trinity.

WOW, that is an amazingly warped view you have there.
    Do you know anyone studying medicine in TCD?
    If so, are they stuck up their own hole?

Im going to make a wild assumption here.
    Im guessing that pleo doesn't study medicine in Trinity, nor does he know anyone in the course.
    I have heard the "Trinity is rubbish" rumour before.
    Funnily enough, its only ever been off students from other colleges.
    I wonder why they resent poor TCD so much??? ;)

Physiology Rocks comment is the most sensible post on this thread.
    People choose which university to study in for a number of reasons.
    Personally, I wanted to study in Dublin.
    I didnt meet the matriculation requirements for UCD or RCSI so my decision was an easy one.
    Other people go because they live down the road, most of their friends go there, they like the look of the place, their favourite cafe is right across the road, yada yada yada.

Apologies for turning this into a "my college is better than yours" debate but I couldn't let your "facts" go unchallanged.
    TCD is a great place to study medicine and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The only people who say this are those who had it as their first option and got offered UCD instead.

Trinity- worst reputation?
    O RLY?

That's interesting.
    I got offered UCD on first rounds, but took Trinity on 3rd rounds. When I was making my decision I spoke to a Doctor chap I kind of know. He advised me to go to Trinity, without a shadow of a doubt, for various reasons. One being its brilliant reputaion both in Ireland and abroad.

OP, Medicine anywhere's going to be great. It depends on loads of things.
    Do you want to do PreMed?
    Many people do, I was not one of them. This made Trinity more attractive to me. UCC also offers a 5 year course.

Would you like to work abroad in the future? If so, Trinity has the edge... and RCSI's international reputation's quite something as well.

UCD, so I'm told, has the country's most modern Anatomy labs. It's also the largest, coldest and most impersonal imo.

Where do you live? I'd have liked to go to NUI Galway, but decided that it'd be a bit of a trek from Wexford, and I like having the option of going home at weekends. So Dublin won out.

It all depends on what you want from the Med School you go to.

WOW, that is an amazingly warped view you have there.
    Do you know anyone studying medicine in TCD?
    If so, are they stuck up their own hole?

Im going to make a wild assumption here.
    Im guessing that pleo doesn't study medicine in Trinity, nor does he know anyone in the course.
    I have heard the "Trinity is rubbish" rumour before.
    Funnily enough, its only ever been off students from other colleges.
    I wonder why they resent poor TCD so much??? ;)

Physiology Rocks comment is the most sensible post on this thread.
    People choose which university to study in for a number of reasons.
    Personally, I wanted to study in Dublin.
    I didnt meet the matriculation requirements for UCD or RCSI so my decision was an easy one.
    Other people go because they live down the road, most of their friends go there, they like the look of the place, their favourite cafe is right across the road, yada yada yada.

Apologies for turning this into a "my college is better than yours" debate but I couldn't let your "facts" go unchallanged.
    TCD is a great place to study medicine and I would recommend it to anyone.
    Feck sake, I knew this would happen! I just wanted to make the point that when it comes to Trinity medicine there always seems to be a minority of people who say it is sh1t, of course you could easily disregard that as other students being jealous of Trinity... I never stated any "facts", I pointedly said my points were baseless speculation, partly because I con't know anyone doing medicine in Trinity. In all probability it is a good medschool, but I personally would not have gone there because you hear more bad reviews about Trinity than anywhere else...

My decision was purely becuase Cork is a lot closer than me than Dublin and I liked the look of the course from open days.

My decision was purely becuase Cork is a lot closer than me than Dublin and I liked the look of the course from open days.

Thats great, Im very happy for you.
    But please dont say that you know the pharmacy course in TCD is terrible when you dont, or that many students do medicine here for the prestige when its just not true.
    This afterall is an education forum, where many prospective health science students will visit.
    You never know, some of the comments here may even influence their decisions.
    I think it would be a terrible shame if a student decided against Trinity on baseless speculation.
    I just popped in to stick up for wee TCD. :D

Thats great, Im very happy for you.
    But please dont say that you know the pharmacy course in TCD is terrible when you dont, or that many students do medicine here for the prestige when its just not true.
    This afterall is an education forum, where many prospective health science students will visit.
    You never know, some of the comments here may even influence their decisions.
    I think it would be a terrible shame if a student decided against Trinity on baseless speculation.
    I just popped in to stick up for wee TCD. :D
    I just wanted to point out that when these type of conversations come up, there's always a few who speak strongly against Trinity, for whatever reason. I didn't get my point across too well though I admit!

But whatever about medicine, Trinity came very close to having it's licence to teach pharmacy taken away and I think Boots won't hire Trinity grads any more, so that doesn't really sound too hot... Maybe things have improved though, I don't know...

But whatever about medicine, Trinity came very close to having it's licence to teach pharmacy taken away and I think Boots won't hire Trinity grads any more, so that doesn't really sound too hot... Maybe things have improved though, I don't know...

These sorts of rumours used to go around all the time when I was a student, too. Is there any truth to them? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

The world league tables of unis were released a few days ago. TCD scored highest in Ireland as always, being 43rd in the world. That puts it in the top o.5% of unis in the world AFAIK.

TCD does not have a bad rep in Ireland or abroad for medicine. IN fact, it probably has the best rep. Not that it really means anything.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    These sorts of rumours used to go around all the time when I was a student, too. Is there any truth to them? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

The world league tables of unis were released a few days ago. TCD scored highest in Ireland as always, being 43rd in the world. That puts it in the top o.5% of unis in the world AFAIK.

TCD does not have a bad rep in Ireland or abroad for medicine. IN fact, it probably has the best rep. Not that it really means anything.

I'm fairly sure it's bad or at least it used to be very bad, it got very out of date but they were given deadlines to improve by so the must be meeting them if the course is still around. It does all come down to which uni suits you the best in the end, regret posting in this thread now cos I made my points pretty shoddily...:D

It's more that a lot of the points you made have no basis in any tangible reality. That would be a real shame, as kids read these threads when picking their med school.

But, as a qualified doc, if I had to pick an Irish med school to start again, I'd pick Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

I chose Galway myself, and I'd do it again. Galway is a great city to live in. A bit on the small side, more an overgrown town really, but very relaxed lifestyle compared to Dublin.

From what I've heard from friends in other colleges, all of the med courses are pretty much in line with each other. Really the decision is more on your own university/city preferance.

I highly recommend Galway though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Well there is no shadow of a doubt that Trinity has the best reputation of any college in Ireland at the moment and it seems like it is just getting better and better.

Having said that, as a former med student, I have heard some terrible stories about the disorganisation in the med-school from other people and I know one guy personally who left the place because it was so bad.

That said, I can only really speak on the pros and the cons of NUIG from my 2 years there, CarsinianThau might be along in a bit to give a better view of it. Good college, the CSI (where your lectures are) is an almost brand new building, and Galway itself is just a great town. Most of the lecturers are quite good and the Hospital is literally right beside the college, which is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

UCD, and I think RCSI, offer an open evening for the graduate medical course. At the UCD one you'll have a chance to talk to the med students during a building tour and in a small group. Even if you're going into the undergrad course you may get some useful information. The open evening was held in mid January last year.
    One downside to the undergraduate course is dissection. Because of class size you'll be split into three groups with each group dissecting every third week.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Well there is no shadow of a doubt that Trinity has the best reputation of any college in Ireland at the moment and it seems like it is just getting better and better.

Having said that, as a former med student, I have heard some terrible stories about the disorganisation in the med-school from other people and I know one guy personally who left the place because it was so bad.

That said, I can only really speak on the pros and the cons of NUIG from my 2 years there, CarsinianThau might be along in a bit to give a better view of it. Good college, the CSI (where your lectures are) is an almost brand new building, and Galway itself is just a great town. Most of the lecturers are quite good and the Hospital is literally right beside the college, which is very handy.
    This is what I was trying to get at, there just always seems to be stories like this floating around the place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Just like to clarify something up there mentioned by Gradmed, especially if prospective medical students are basing their applications on this information!
    In undergraduate medicine in UCD, as Gradmed correctly mentioned, the year is divided up in to three "big" groups. However once inside the anatomy lab, each "big group" is subdivided into approx 6 students per cadaver and these are the people you work with every week. We do not only get into the dissection room every three weeks. In fact the least amount of hours possible in any one week is 2 hours and most weeks it will alternate between 4-6 hours. In second med for example, you study GIT, Endocrine, Lower Limb,and Neuro. You have 8hrs of dissection in lower limb alone (4 sessions by 2hrs), 8hrs of dissection in GIT (again 4 by 2hr sessions), 6 hrs of endocrine dissections (3 by 2hr sessions) and then for Neuro 8hrs dissection (again 4 by 2hr slots).

Dissections days are Tues and Thurs....we go through a serious amount of latex gloves on those days....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Factors to influence decision
    • Where will your friends be
    • do you want to develop w hole new social circle in colege or will you continue to hang out with current friends
    • who wil you live with - at home or in apartment
    • if in apartment what part of town
    • some colleges have on campus accommodation- good for social life
    • where do you wnat to go to training hospital UCD Vincents/mater Trinity James/Talght RCSI Beaumont/Drogheda/Connolly Hospital-- you will spend a few years travelling to these places so if you dont own a car and dont plan to taht is an important factor too

Didnt mention anything about the education because they should be all pretty much on a par

TAllaght dont really agree regarding Trinity and international reputations, if anything more people internationally know about RCSI (didnt go there)

When applying for jobs do homework and find out of there is an Irish guy/Irish grad in the department you are applying to and arrange to meet them, they will know your standard and probably help- college may not be that relevant unless you are on the alumni committee or something

drzhivago wrote: »
    TAllaght dont really agree regarding Trinity and international reputations, if anything more people internationally know about RCSI (didnt go there)

What I meant really was about how good they perceived it to be, rather than by how many knew about it. People seem to equate TCD with a god education overseas.

Having said that, I doubt it makes much difference in an interview.

I'd pick TCD as it's a big uni in Dublin city centre. If UCD was put in its place geographically, I'd pick UCD.

Thankfully it's not a decision I have to make again :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

im actully leaning towards UCC my 1st choice, since im from cork, otherwise royal college or UL, because they both mainly use PBL, and im a fan of PBL, like i heard in limrick they show you a case on one day, and then rest of the week you basically get to study that case in detail etc for the first year, not too sure though, we'll have to see what galway is doing as well

Advertisement