Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros/Cons of Different Med Schools

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

im actully leaning towards UCC my 1st choice, since im from cork, otherwise royal college or UL, because they both mainly use PBL, and im a fan of PBL, like i heard in limrick they show you a case on one day, and then rest of the week you basically get to study that case in detail etc for the first year, not too sure though, we'll have to see what galway is doing as well

We're also doing PBL in TCD - although it can be quite the load of **** sometimes, I must admit that it is a good method of learning. We started off with general social and ethical problems for the first couple of weeks but we're being given more scientific topics now, gradually getting towards clinical scenarios - the last two topics have been protein structure and blood cell formation, and the next topic is a specific clinical scenario, which should be pretty cool/interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

im actully leaning towards UCC my 1st choice, since im from cork, otherwise royal college or UL, because they both mainly use PBL, and im a fan of PBL, like i heard in limrick they show you a case on one day, and then rest of the week you basically get to study that case in detail etc for the first year, not too sure though, we'll have to see what galway is doing as well

RCSI doesn't really "mainly" use PBL, they supplement normal lecture-based learning in the preclinical years via a case of the week, which you'll have a few sessions on and answer questions about with your tutorial group. That's on the GEP side of things anyway, and I think the mix works pretty well.

It's not PBL-based on nearly the same level as UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

A Neurotic wrote: »
    We're also doing PBL in TCD - although it can be quite the load of **** sometimes, I must admit that it is a good method of learning. We started off with general social and ethical problems for the first couple of weeks but we're being given more scientific topics now, gradually getting towards clinical scenarios - the last two topics have been protein structure and blood cell formation, and the next topic is a specific clinical scenario, which should be pretty cool/interesting...

lol PBL is a joke in trinity. waste of time. thats why the only make 1st years do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

We did a bit of PBL. PBHell, we used to call it.

Load of balls. But it's easier than getting lectures arranged.

One of our consultants called it FOFOY medicine. Fcuk Off and Find Out Yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I dread PBLs...

Tbh, I'd rather we didn't have them, they involve a lot of preparation, and there'll always be at least one suck up in your group who'll make your hours of preparation look like crap seeing as they know so much more.

Also- UL? I assume you're applying for a PostGrad Med course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

A Neurotic wrote: »
    We're also doing PBL in TCD - although it can be quite the load of **** sometimes, I must admit that it is a good method of learning.

True.
    Infact most of the stuff I remember from last year is from PBL. :eek:
    I need to read over my sherwoods again me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 emz4

PBL is torture!

Is it true that we dont have to do it after 1st year in trinity?
    That would be great!
    Id completely preferr lectures!

Other than that trinity is a great med school!
    I totally disagree with those who have been knocking it without any personal experience of the college!

You can kiss PBL's ass goodbye in second year, you'll be happy to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 emz4

Wow you just made my day! It dosnt seem as bad now i know its just for this year! :):)

True.
    Infact most of the stuff I remember from last year is from PBL. :eek:
    I need to read over my sherwoods again me thinks.

lol why read it again unless u are doing neurophysiology yet
    keep on top of this years stuff :-p

• Advertisement

I guess your right. I just feel so guilty for not remembering any of it. :o
    With regards to neurophysiology, did you find that sherwoods was sufficient or should I start using one of those specific neurophysiology texts?
    We start neuro next term, really looking forward to it actually.
    Was watching the most interesting documentary earlier about self awareness and consciousness.
    And I am so fried that I missed my clinical skills in Tallaght today. My group was with a consultant neurologist which was something I was really looking forward to.
    Im stuck in Mayo with the bloody Pig Flu. :mad:

I guess your right. I just feel so guilty for not remembering any of it. :o
    With regards to neurophysiology, did you find that sherwoods was sufficient or should I start using one of those specific neurophysiology texts?
    We start neuro next term, really looking forward to it actually.
    Was watching the most interesting documentary earlier about self awareness and consciousness.
    And I am so fried that I missed my clinical skills in Tallaght today. My group was with a consultant neurologist which was something I was really looking forward to.
    Im stuck in Mayo with the bloody Pig Flu. :mad:

sherwoods is grand for the neuro stuff. but beware, prof anwyll doesnt "do" powerpoint, all his notes are on overheads.

missing clinical skills eh? consultants tend not to teach the 2nd meds, it was prob an sho/reg on his team - but you shouldnt worry about that, id be worrying about phillipa hitting you with the squidgie next time you turn up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Ah - good old phillipa!

She's a legend of a woman and someone I always have a lot of time for! Is "fortesque" still floating around on the screensaver of her computer?

flerb22 wrote: »
    id be worrying about phillipa hitting you with the squidgie next time you turn up!

Ha, she is mad in the head ( in a good way of course ) and pretty quick too. She had our group out of breath when she was giving us a tour of the hospital.
    I've heard of this squidgie thing, but have yet to see it.
    I have a medical note so hopefully she wont go too hard on me. (Fingers crossed)

my advice is to not duck, she throws it harder if she misses the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

flerb22 wrote: »
    sherwoods is grand for the neuro stuff. but beware, prof anwyll doesnt "do" powerpoint, all his notes are on overheads.
    He's since come to his senses, last year he started printing out full copies of his neurophysiology course for us. Those notes plus bits of Sherwood are fine for neurophys; for neuropharm, use your regular pharm book; for neurochem, use bits from this book (you don't need to buy it though); and just use the past papers for "psychiatry".

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

As a current Trinity student I would unfortunately have to advise students against it.
    For the first 2 years anyway, the course focuses on rote learning. The standard of lecturing is generally poor with some exceptions. There are very high anxiety levels across the course (personally J struggle to sleep at night owing to a constant fear of failure). Friends in other medical schools seem to have a much more laid back experience and at the end of the day all get the same degree and the same places on the Intern programmes.
    The style of teaching is also completely outdated. There is no integration of modules i.e. anatomy is kept separate from physiology which is separate from pharm. you learn about different systems at different times and nothing is matched up which is just not efficient at all.
    The administration is a farce. Students are never informed about anything. Exam results are published publicly with student numbers with little respect for privacy. I am living for clinical years and the patient side of it.

Hope this helps.

Header15 wrote: »
    As a current Trinity student I would unfortunately have to advise students against it.
    For the first 2 years anyway, the course focuses on rote learning. The standard of lecturing is generally poor with some exceptions. There are very high anxiety levels across the course (personally J struggle to sleep at night owing to a constant fear of failure). Friends in other medical schools seem to have a much more laid back experience and at the end of the day all get the same degree and the same places on the Intern programmes.
    The style of teaching is also completely outdated. There is no integration of modules i.e. anatomy is kept separate from physiology which is separate from pharm. you learn about different systems at different times and nothing is matched up which is just not efficient at all.
    The administration is a farce. Students are never informed about anything. Exam results are published publicly with student numbers with little respect for privacy. I am living for clinical years and the patient side of it.

Hope this helps.

Er, thanks but I made this thread 9 years ago so you're a bit late :pac: decided not to do medicine at all in the end ;)

Advertisement