Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom extractor fan wiring

• 06-10-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a bathroom with steam problems and want to install a timed fan to extract through the ceiling and out through the soffit.

Not sure if this is a DIY job but am looking for some pointers.

here is what im facing and what i propose to do:

1. Is it necessary to install a tripole isolator (as seen in a UK forum)
    2. i am locating the fan in the ceiling just outside the shower area
    3. the existing light/switch setup does not have a junction box in the attic so should i now introduce one into the circuit to facilitate the wiring

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes you need the tripple pole isolator should be less than 10 euro in a wholesalers

do you want a fan that continues to run on a timer after the light switch has turned off?

if you want it timed you will need a permamant live from the light switch and a switched live from there or the light itself.

the isolator should not reallt contain two lives fed from different circuits, you'd be best isolating a switched and unswitched live that came from the same ciruit, so that turning off one MCB killed both supplies. can you fish the cables from the bathroom back up into the attic? there are some postes here with instructions on how to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Thanks ,

This is what im hoping to do..
    All the wiring is accessible in attic and seems to be single cables (not 2 core and earth) so i hope to
    1. tap into the switched live 'on its way back' to the ceiling rose and via a new junctiion box, connect to the tripole isolator
    2. tap into the permanent live 'on its way' to the ceiling rose, connect to the junction box and feed the permanent live to ceiling rose and another to isolator
    3. ditto , with the neutral

if you can follow the above, does it sound ok?

Why is the isolator needed ? Is it just for when work is being done to the Fan. If so , why not just turn off at the consumer unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a possible alternative is a pir and non-timed fan.still needs an isolator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Thanks ,

This is what im hoping to do..
    All the wiring is accessible in attic and seems to be single cables (not 2 core and earth) so i hope to
    1. tap into the switched live 'on its way back' to the ceiling rose and via a new junctiion box, connect to the tripole isolator
    2. tap into the permanent live 'on its way' to the ceiling rose, connect to the junction box and feed the permanent live to ceiling rose and another to isolator
    3. ditto , with the neutral

if you can follow the above, does it sound ok?

Why is the isolator needed ? Is it just for when work is being done to the Fan. If so , why not just turn off at the consumer unit?

Yes its so you can turn off the switched and permanent lives and neutral to the fan with one switch. Its better to connect from a termination point of the cables rather than `tap` into them which probably suggests your going to cut and use connectors, you could bring the switched wire from a ceiling rose, and the permanent one from a switch itself, i`d usually find a switch which is last on the circuit and bring both permanent and switched wires from there, and neutral from the light fitting, all depends how the place is wired, and also keep permanent, switched and neutral on same circuit as suggested earlier, thats a must do i`d say.

Advertisement