Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing XP on a Vista machine

• 06-10-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of if I remove Vista from my laptop and replace it with XP Pro. I really hate Vista and just want rid of as soon as possible. My machine is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo with 4GB ram, a Core 2 Duo processor and a 320GB HD.
    I'm a Luddite when it comes to big installations so I'll be getting someone else to do the dirty work. Oh yeah, I'm not interested in Windows 7 as I'll undoubtedly have software compatibility issues which I will not have the time, patience or interest in resolving.

Cordially,
    Coolbeans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

coolbeans wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of if I remove Vista from my laptop and replace it with XP Pro. I really hate Vista and just want rid of as soon as possible. My machine is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo with 4GB ram, a Core 2 Duo processor and a 320GB HD.
    I'm a Luddite when it comes to big installations so I'll be getting someone else to do the dirty work. Oh yeah, I'm not interested in Windows 7 as I'll undoubtedly have software compatibility issues which I will not have the time, patience or interest in resolving.

Cordially,
    Coolbeans.

Windows 7, 32bit, is pretty solid when it comes to compatibility etc.

But anyway, to point out the obvious you should back up all important data as XP will wipe the disk / partition, and make sure there are XP drivers available for your laptops hardware and download these before the install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

thanks Bob. Re the drivers; how many drivers do I typically need and how do I know if I have them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Go to the Fujitsu website and enter in the model number of your laptop. It should display all available drivers for your laptop.

Sometimes the XP drivers may be hidden. E.G. My Acer came with Vista install but there were no XP drivers listed on their website. They did however have all the XP drivers for my laptop on an FTP server which I found through google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

W7 has an XP compatible mode that will run most XP saoftware straight away and 99% of others with very little work, that said the advice above is sound

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No point in purchasing a 10 year old os tbh, and if its a new laptop will more than likely not have xp drivers to add further complications, as has been said, the pro versions of Windows 7 have a "XP Mode" if you have software compatability issiues, any decent software companies will have made their software Vista/7 compatible by now anyway

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

in my lats job i was given a fujitsu laptop wth vista, i immediatly put xp on it thinking there must be xp drivers, but there were none at all :/

upgrading to win7 will probably be your best bet, as said above it is compatible with pretty much everything, and its supprisingly fast too, especially compared to vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well i haven't found windows 7 all that great after a few months with it I will probably go back to xp when i get time. With 4gb of ram you might find it better though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well i haven't found windows 7 all that great after a few months with it I will probably go back to xp when i get time. With 4gb of ram you might find it better though

Even windows 7 runs well on older hardware, if you tryed a beta or RC version it may be worthwhile trying the retail one when it comes out, Windows 7 runs much faster on my laptop than xp (Standard Dual core, 1 gig ram, intel gma graphics etc), its also compatible with all my software I need, so that hasnt been a issiue,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I'm using Windows 7 at present on my desktop and on my laptop and the results are very impressive (Previously I was using XP/Ubuntu on the laptop and Vista on the Desktop). I hated Vista but Windows 7 is si much better it's hard to believe the are products from the same company. Don't be fooled by the look and feel of Windows 7 and think it looks the similar as Vista ... they're completely different animals.

I'm not a miscrsoft fanboy - but so far I'm very happy with Windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yoyo wrote: »
    Even windows 7 runs well on older hardware, if you tryed a beta or RC version it may be worthwhile trying the retail one when it comes out, Windows 7 runs much faster on my laptop than xp (Standard Dual core, 1 gig ram, intel gma graphics etc), its also compatible with all my software I need, so that hasnt been a issiue,

Nick

It's not an old laptop, it's a dual core 1gb ram intel graphics. It's not the beta version of win 7. It works ok but does slow up with a few things running, even the keyboard can get a bit behind sometimes. I work in IT so use a lot of different computers, just a few things bug me, a certain ammount of it might be the particular hardware, but personaly might hold off for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well anything with 1gb of ram on it is going to be slow to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

In vista make a list of all the devices you have. Use belarc advisor and cpu z to make sure you don't miss anything. Check if xp drivers available, from manufacturers websites, google, drivers sites etc. Xp will pick up most of the stuff anyway. Be careful if its a sata hard drive as you will have to add sata controller driver to xp install disk before using it. slipstream service pack 3 while your at it.
    Your laptop will work much faster as 1gb ram is not eneugh for vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

nLite http://www.nliteos.com/ is a great program for slipstreaming.

As Yellowblackbird says, try and get all the drivers ready beforehand. A quick look at Device Manager will identify most of it. You'll need a chipset driver, graphics, sound, network (both wired and wireless). If you have SATA drives, then SATA drivers are a must before you even begin. A regular XP disk won't even recognise the existence of SATA disks and the installation will fail before it begins.

Advertisement